Deleterious

Nets try to involve Pistons in deal for Anthony

Nets try to involve Pistons in three-team trade for Carmelo Anthony - NorthJersey.com

Nets try to involve Pistons in three-team trade for Carmelo Anthony

WASHINGTON -- The Nets are trying to involve the Pistons in a three-team deal that would bring Carmelo Anthony to New Jersey, league sources said.

In the complicated scenario that’s being discussed, the Nets would send Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and at least two first-round picks to Denver and Troy Murphy’s expiring contract to the Pistons. In return, the Nets would get Anthony and Chauncey Billups from the Nuggets and likely Richard Hamilton from the Pistons, who are looking to shed salary. Hamilton has two years and $25 million remaining on his contract.

There are many more players involved to make the salaries match, but this is one of multiple things the Nets are discussing in an effort to land Anthony. They also are trying to trade with Denver straight up for the All-Star small forward.

The Nuggets have a standing offer of Favors, Murphy and at least two first-round picks. But if something like that happens it may not be until around the Feb. 24 trade deadline. The Nuggets don’t want to pay Murphy’s salary right now but may be more willing when less is owed to him.

Only place I have heard this. In fact, yesterday I heard a offer for Anthony that didn't involve the Pistons at all. But hey, lets hope.

If this did happen, letting Prince walk wouldn't be so tough. They would end up with roughly $20 million in cap space that way. Probably easier to split that up between 2-3 players than try and trade Prince. Not always easy to make trades work, teams don't always offer players you want, etc.

That didn't last long.

@STEIN_LINE_HQ

One source close to process, when asked how close Melo three-way involving Detroit was, said only that sides still "going back and forth"

@WojYahooNBA

As @Al_Iannazzone wrote, NJ-DET talked as part of Melo 3way. Talks died when NJ wanted DET 1st rounder AND dump Petro on them, sources say.

Melo, Billups, and Rip on the same team could have given us a glimpse of what the Pistons could have been had we drafted Melo albeit with the latter towards the end of their respective careers as opposed to their prime. Still could have been interesting. I'm glad Joe didn't pull the trigger on that one. They need to keep that pick.

Melo, Billups, and Rip on the same team could have given us a glimpse of what the Pistons could have been had we drafted Melo albeit with the latter towards the end of their respective careers as opposed to their prime. Still could have been interesting. I'm glad Joe didn't pull the trigger on that one. They need to keep that pick.

Yup Carmelo leaving for New York is another glimpse of what could have been.

Of course....it had to be too good to be true. Where are we sitting at right now with our draft pick, 6th or 7th right? I guess the question is how big would the drop off be in losing Rip. Personally, I don't think it would be huge, not big enough to drop us into the top three, and if we stuck around 6th or 7th we might not even get anything that special in that spot. That being said, I'd still be all over this move. Or we can just stick with horrible contracts, and draft a mediocre player instead of having money to attempt to get this team back on track by signing a player of need.

If Devin Harris is part of the package going to Denver, Dumars better be prying Lawson away from them if the Pistons need to give up a pick to the Nets.

One way or another, JUST DO SOMETHING JOE!!! THIS TEAM SMELLS LIKE HOT GARBAGE!!!

Even if they work out a trade. Anthony can void it by not signing an extension. He has 24 hours after the trade to sign, or the trade is voided.

Even if they work out a trade. Anthony can void it by not signing an extension. He has 24 hours after the trade to sign, or the trade is voided.

True. I can't remember if New Jersey was one of the teams he wanted to go to in earlier rumors, but for some reason I'm thinking they were. If it did go through, hopefully having Chauncey, Rip & Lopez around him would be enough to sway him into agreeing to an extension.

That didn't last long.

@STEIN_LINE_HQ

@WojYahooNBA

If the Pistons were to make the pick top 5, or even top 3 protected, I would consider it. But this would be a hard draft to lose that pick because there are some stud athletes who have the potential to play point guard looking like very high picks.

True. I can't remember if New Jersey was one of the teams he wanted to go to in earlier rumors, but for some reason I'm thinking they were. If it did go through, hopefully having Chauncey, Rip & Lopez around him would be enough to sway him into agreeing to an extension.

Looks like you're right.

Agent pushing Hamilton into 'Melo deal - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

As Carmelo Anthony(notes) demands the New Jersey Nets surround him with veteran talent as a condition for him to commit to a contract extension, his agent has been the driving force behind bringing Detroit Pistons guard Richard Hamilton(notes) into multiteam trade talks, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony’s agent, Leon Rose, also represents Hamilton, and sources said he pushed Nets general manager Billy King to bring the Pistons into trade talks with New Jersey and the Denver Nuggets. Anthony has wanted the Nets to upgrade their roster upon his arrival for him to sign a three-year, $64 million contract extension.

“Leon is driving this one,” one front-office executive told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

With Anthony’s agent so heavily involved in brokering particular players in the deal, the Nets are working under a belief that a proposed package to bring them Hamilton and Denver’s Chauncey Billups(notes) would be sufficient to sell Anthony on joining them over his preferred destination, the New York Knicks.

Rose and William Wesley of CAA have long wanted to get Anthony and another of their clients, New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul(notes), to the Nets as the franchise prepares for a move to Brooklyn, N.Y. Whichever franchise gets Anthony – the Nets or Knicks – will find itself a frontrunner to eventually acquire Paul. For now, Rose is pushing hard to get a suitable package together for Denver to get his client off a team he longer wants to play for.

Wasn't a huge fan of this trade for the Nets until I saw the Chris Paul angle. Getting Anthony is great, but Billups and Rip? That team is no better than 4th in the east. But when I realized CP3 is a free agent in 2012 and Billups will be coming off the books that year ($14.5 million) it starts to make a lot of sense. They could also get another $3.5 million because Rip has a buyout that year.

Lopez, Anthony, and CP3 is a nice foundation. Even if this trade happened they would still have 3 1st round picks in the next 2 years (4 if Detroit sends theirs). So they could use those to find their PF and SG.

That shows you the value of Rip Hamilton in this league. Yeah, we'll trade for him, but only if you send us your first round pick too!

I think they could get it done without the pick. Nothing is going to happen for over a month anyway, so the Nets are right to ask for the moon. Tons of time to negotiate and who knows, maybe another team comes back with a better offer.

If you are the Nets and all you have dreamed about the past 6 months is landing Melo. Are you going to let one draft pick sabotage the deal?

I think they could get it done without the pick. Nothing is going to happen for over a month anyway, so the Nets are right to ask for the moon. Tons of time to negotiate and who knows, maybe another team comes back with a better offer.

If you are the Nets and all you have dreamed about the past 6 months is landing Melo. Are you going to let one draft pick sabotage the deal?

Yeah, the Nets will back down on the draft pick demand, I am sure of it.

How does this set the Pistons up for the future if the trade happens? Either way NJ wins big on this deal. Competitive team for the rest of this season and next, then CP3 would be on his way.

What would we do with the salary cap space?

Yeah, the Nets will back down on the draft pick demand, I am sure of it.

How does this set the Pistons up for the future if the trade happens? Either way NJ wins big on this deal. Competitive team for the rest of this season and next, then CP3 would be on his way.

What would we do with the salary cap space?

Spread it around on 2-3 free agents. It's not the sexy answer we all want to hear. But they can start building their core then try to land a star via the draft or a trade. That way if/when you do get one, you have a foundation started to support him.

It would also still be possible for them to ship Prince or Murphy out for something. Thats probably harder to do. You have to find a team that wants one of them. Then that team has to have players you are interested in obtaining. Then it has to work under the salary cap rules, etc. Not always the easiest thing to do.

I think you are right. There is no way they would let a first round pick get in the way of acquiring Melo. A good solution might be to ship them Austin Daye instead of our first round pick.

2011 FA class is pretty blah. 2012 looks to be really good. How ironic will it be if once again Joe finds himself with $20 million in cap space in a bad FA class. And a year ahead of a good one...

The more I think about it, the longer this drags out, the less chance I think a deal gets done with the Pistons. If the Nets and Nuggets are willing to deal, the Pistons should try hard to get this done now. I think the Pistons should try offering their first round pick next year, top 3 protected. The Nets are losing two first round picks to the Nuggets so I think they are just trying to recoup one of those and might not care what year it is. It would suck giving up a lottery pick for a team so desperate for young talent but we need to start rebuilding somewhere and getting rid of Rip would be the first step in the process.

The more I think about it, the longer this drags out, the less chance I think a deal gets done with the Pistons. If the Nets and Nuggets are willing to deal, the Pistons should try hard to get this done now. I think the Pistons should try offering their first round pick next year, top 3 protected. The Nets are losing two first round picks to the Nuggets so I think they are just trying to recoup one of those and might not care what year it is. It would suck giving up a lottery pick for a team so desperate for young talent but we need to start rebuilding somewhere and getting rid of Rip would be the first step in the process.

I doubt this gets down before the deadline.

One of those articles said that Denver doesn't want to pay Murphy. Obviously they still have to pay Anthony during this time. But he wins games, puts butts in seats, etc. Murphy doesn't.

Also, since draft picks are involved. I assume one of them is this years pick. Why give NJ a better team to improve their draft position if Denver is getting their pick? Let them lose as much as they can in the next month to improve that pick they are sending you.

Am I missing something here...they want Rip Hamilton and a #1 for Troy Murphy? It doesn't seem like much of good deal for the Pistons. Heck, I'm not sure I'd give up Rip straight up for Murphy.