Mschottey1985

Props to Schwartz from Tennessee

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Titans staff members (who are all interviewing for their own jobs at the moment) say that losing Jim Schwartz has been a big part of their problems.

"Bigger than losing Haynesworth."

Breer went on to call the loss of Schwartz a "devastating hit" for the Titans.

I think Schwartz and Mayhew have done a great job since they got here. The talent level on this team is insanely better than 2 years ago and the attitude has changed, no more division losing streak, no more road losing streak and adding a 4 game win streak. The future is starting to like bright for the Lions

I'm trying to not get over-optimistic about the Lions... I'm trying to be realistic. I'm trying to think just 8-8 next year... but boy, oh boy does that cornbread smell good!

That's cool to hear. I'm so glad he's the coach.

It's also nice that the premature criticism of him is over for a while.

I feel like they were 7-9 this year and P.A.T. away from 8-8. Next year's goal should be playoffs and anything less a major disappointment.

That's cool to hear. I'm so glad he's the coach.

It's also nice that the premature criticism of him is over for a while.

+1. Schwartz took over this team at absolute rock bottom. Aside from a couple questionable clock-management snafoos, he's been better than I had hoped for. Thrilled to have Jim at the helm.

I feel like they were 7-9 this year and P.A.T. away from 8-8. Next year's goal should be playoffs and anything less a major disappointment.

I don't know about 'major' but i think it should be a very realistic goal. We still are in a very tough division with two current playoff teams and the Vikings who are a Shaun Hill type QB away from being pretty good again. I know what you are saying but if we go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs I will not be screaming for JS's job.

All in for Schwartz. After the fist pumps I think I developed a man crush.

Let's think of about a thousand different ways to more appropriately express those feelings :cheeky:

Edited by Mschottey1985

Let's think of about a thousand different ways to appropriately express those feelings :cheeky:

I was just going to send him a postcard and a box of chocolates. OK...maybe an invitation to my birthday party as well.

I'll stick with what I've said in the past. It was nice to get back to a level of 6-10 this year, but in the second year of a rebuilding program that's where the team should be.

Mayhew, Schwartz and the rest of the organization are now to the point where they can start earning their stripes. And, honestly, in a third year of a rebuilding process I'd expect a team to be able to contend for the playoffs that third season. Of course, most fail at that goal, so that's why I think next season is the first season we can honestly evaluate exactly where this organization is. It's looking promising right now, but I'm more excited to see if this team can go from 6-10 to the 10-6 Club. With some proper decisions this offseason, I that's a realistic goal. And, anything short of the playoffs, yeah, that would be upsetting - unless something like 10-6 doesn't get you into the playoffs.

Improve that front seven, get a stronger RB and start working on that offensive line. Improve some of those areas and this team should be a contender for the playoffs. Let's do it Mayhew and staff.

I'm trying to not get over-optimistic about the Lions... I'm trying to be realistic. I'm trying to think just 8-8 next year... but boy, oh boy does that cornbread smell good!

8-8 would be a terrible year, they would have been that and more this year with Stafford.

8-8 would be a terrible year, they would have been that and more this year with Stafford.

You're assuming that I think they'll be 8-8 with Stafford. Honestly, I'm probably trying to play down the final result in my mind so if we go 9-7 I'll count it better than I expected.

However, I think it's also realistic to remember that every other team is also trying to improve.

And there are some real areas were the Lions may regress. While you have Suh, and Best, and Delmas and more gaining experience and hopefully getting better, you also have lots of guys on the OL that are getting older and may be past their prime. Is KVB going to be able to continue to play at a high level? Is Best going to be the Best of the beginning of the year or the end of the year? Is Stafford going to be able to play in 10 or more games next year?

Now, I do believe that the Lions will improve. But I don't know if +4 wins is realistic. Nor will I consider it a failure if they show improvement with 8 or 9 wins but fail to make the playoffs.

I'll stick with what I've said in the past. It was nice to get back to a level of 6-10 this year, but in the second year of a rebuilding program that's where the team should be.

Mayhew, Schwartz and the rest of the organization are now to the point where they can start earning their stripes. And, honestly, in a third year of a rebuilding process I'd expect a team to be able to contend for the playoffs that third season. Of course, most fail at that goal, so that's why I think next season is the first season we can honestly evaluate exactly where this organization is. It's looking promising right now, but I'm more excited to see if this team can go from 6-10 to the 10-6 Club. With some proper decisions this offseason, I that's a realistic goal. And, anything short of the playoffs, yeah, that would be upsetting - unless something like 10-6 doesn't get you into the playoffs.

Improve that front seven, get a stronger RB and start working on that offensive line. Improve some of those areas and this team should be a contender for the playoffs. Let's do it Mayhew and staff.

I don't buy the argument that they're only on schedule in the rebuilding process. They've had to climb a lot higher than a typical 2-14 team. The difference between the Lions and a typical rebuilding team is akin to the difference between Dontrelle Willis and Armando Galarraga. They both struggle, but DW is a different level of bad.

I believe their out of conference schedule is the NFC West and AFC West next year, so they'll have a much easier schedule.

I believe their out of conference schedule is the NFC West and AFC West next year, so they'll have a much easier schedule.

Nope, it's the NFC South and the AFC West.

Nope, it's the NFC South and the AFC West.

NFC South, NFC West...what's the difference? :wink:

Just throw in a little Atlanta and New Orleans and throw out a little Seattle and St Louis... :nervous:

Love what Jim Schwartz has done. I think he's got the exact right personality & understanding of what it takes to be a head coach. I'm hoping his coaching staff stays in place, especially Linehan & Gunther. That would go a long way to providing stability. As far as talent goes, this team has taken an astronomical leap. However I think that says as much about how bad they were as it does about how good they are. This off-season is going to be a big one. They have to find a way to upgrade the OL, LB & DBs.

Love what Jim Schwartz has done. I think he's got the exact right personality & understanding of what it takes to be a head coach. I'm hoping his coaching staff stays in place, especially Linehan & Gunther. That would go a long way to providing stability. As far as talent goes, this team has taken an astronomical leap. However I think that says as much about how bad they were as it does about how good they are. This off-season is going to be a big one. They have to find a way to upgrade the OL, LB & DBs.

This is the best thing about hiring failed head coaches for your coordinators. They have added experience, are usually really good at being coordinators, and are less likely to be hired as a head coach.

Mayhew, Schwartz and the rest of the organization are now to the point where they can start earning their stripes. And, honestly, in a third year of a rebuilding process I'd expect a team to be able to contend for the playoffs that third season.

I don't buy the argument that they're only on schedule in the rebuilding process. They've had to climb a lot higher than a typical 2-14 team. The difference between the Lions and a typical rebuilding team is akin to the difference between Dontrelle Willis and Armando Galarraga. They both struggle, but DW is a different level of bad.

I'd have to agree with Driz on this. DTroppens, you make it sound like this is your typical rebuilding process. This is not the same rebuilding that a few teams are going through every year. This was the WORST team in NFL history, by a long shot. They were so bad, their official record for the 16 game 2008 season should have been 0-18. I almost feel like what's been done so far in such a short period of time is near miraculous. I'm ecstatic with the progress so far.

Honestly, if they make the playoffs next year, it might be one of the great feats in sports history, to turn the worst team ever around that quickly. Bigger than the '69 Mets, bigger than the '06 Tigers, bigger than any worst-to-first scenario you could muster.

And yes, I know it hasn't happened yet. But I think it will.

A 2-14 team is a 2-14 team. I don't care if a team came into existence today, in three years, with the right moves, I'd expect that team to be able to compete for a playoff spot. If the organization doesn't make the right moves, then they won't.

Many people on this board picked in the neighborhood of 5-11 to 6-10 this season, including myself. I think that proves finishing at 6-10 wasn't any great massive achievement. It was a realistic expectation. Heck, even Buddha predicted 5-11.

I'd have to agree with Driz on this. DTroppens, you make it sound like this is your typical rebuilding process. This is not the same rebuilding that a few teams are going through every year. This was the WORST team in NFL history, by a long shot. They were so bad, their official record for the 16 game 2008 season should have been 0-18. I almost feel like what's been done so far in such a short period of time is near miraculous. I'm ecstatic with the progress so far.

Honestly, if they make the playoffs next year, it might be one of the great feats in sports history, to turn the worst team ever around that quickly. Bigger than the '69 Mets, bigger than the '06 Tigers, bigger than any worst-to-first scenario you could muster.

And yes, I know it hasn't happened yet. But I think it will.

You know, you predicted 6-10 and third place this year. So actually, this is exactly the progress you expected out of this team.

That tells me one thing - that you thought this team had the talent base of being a 6-10 team. If you didn't think it, you wouldn't have predicted it.

Now, they are 6-10 with an offseason to go before next year. Asking for the playoffs is the next step. Is that really that ridiculous of a comment? And, like I said, if they make the playoffs, they'll earn their stripes (another word for credit).

Many people on this board picked in the neighborhood of 5-11 to 6-10 this season, including myself. I think that proves finishing at 6-10 wasn't any great massive achievement. It was a realistic expectation. Heck, even Buddha predicted 5-11.

I guess I can only really speak for myself, but I would guess everybody's predictions were based on Stafford being healthy at least most of the season. If those people had been asked back then to reconsider their predictions with Stafford only playing one full game, I would guess most predictions would have dropped to 3-13 or worse.

What they've done with 2nd and 3rd string QBs has been impressive, and I would argue that the 6-10 record with Hill and Stanton at the helm is much more impressive than the 5-11 or 6-10 record most people predicted with a healthy Stafford.

You know, you predicted 6-10 and third place this year. So actually, this is exactly the progress you expected out of this team.

That tells me one thing - that you thought this team had the talent base of being a 6-10 team. If you didn't think it, you wouldn't have predicted it.

Now, they are 6-10 with an offseason to go before next year. Asking for the playoffs is the next step. Is that really that ridiculous of a comment? And, like I said, if they make the playoffs, they'll earn their stripes (another word for credit).

But it's the progress I predicted with a healthy Stafford. So, in my mind they exceeded expectations. The comments I make now are with the benefit of hindsight.

And I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I thought your comments were ridiculous. I'm not trying to belittle your point. I just felt the position the organization was in when Mayhew and Schwartz took over was not your typical rebuilding project. To go from literally the worst team ever (worse off than any expansion team even) to what they've done and the potential they have in two years is simply stunning to me.