FRM710

UM FB Coach

The Yankees gave Henson a multi-million dollar contract offer...that's why he left.

Henson had a million dollar skill set and a 10 cent QB IQ. When he got it right he could make throws I'd only seen Elway make.

Henson had a million dollar skill set and a 10 cent QB IQ. When he got it right he could make throws I'd only seen Elway make.

Henson could had been very good if he had concentrated on football. Alas he made millions off the Yankees based on potential -- not too shabby!

Henson could had been very good if he had concentrated on football. Alas he made millions off the Yankees based on potential -- not too shabby!

Exactly. Henson was a 3 sport star in high school and a 2 sport one in college. He had all the physical tools to be a great quarterback but he also had all the tools to be a great pro baseball player. He concentrated more on baseball and it got him a nice pay day. It didn't work out in the end but I can't say I blame him. Even with that he somehow managed to get an NFL starting job although that didn't go well either. Look at Chad Henne though. Totally concentrated on football and a highly regarded player coming into the draft and he is not making it work that well either. I have nothing against Henson.

Exactly. Henson was a 3 sport star in high school and a 2 sport one in college. He had all the physical tools to be a great quarterback but he also had all the tools to be a great pro baseball player. He concentrated more on baseball and it got him a nice pay day. It didn't work out in the end but I can't say I blame him. Even with that he somehow managed to get an NFL starting job although that didn't go well either. Look at Chad Henne though. Totally concentrated on football and a highly regarded player coming into the draft and he is not making it work that well either. I have nothing against Henson.

Henne is making his millions of dollars in the NFL and has been a starting QB on more than a few occasions, so by my book he's doing pretty well.

QB is the NFL is at least as much mental as physical - and that's not even IQ per se as just perceptual processing speed. Like every other human attribute, everyone's hardware is different and the game moves slower for some guys than others. Sure, it's true Henson lost a lot of time off an NFL development with his baseball detour, but I think it can equally be argued that he was already under-performing his physical talent at UM. But he did what he did, so I guess we can only guess what he would have done if he'd done something else. Either way, he got a nice enough payday that he doesn't need my sympathy:wink:

Henne is making his millions of dollars in the NFL and has been a starting QB on more than a few occasions, so by my book he's doing pretty well.

Oh I realize that. I was just talking about Henne strictly by results on the field so far, which have not been so good.

I gotta admit, when watching Henson, I also saw shades of Elway. However, he was obviously never going to reach that potential.

Roh should be fine when moved back to pass rushing DE full time. Black came on at the end of last year, he and Roh should help improve our pass rush. Ash and Wilkins were 4 star DL recruits that were redshirted last year. You have 4 star DB recruits like Christian,Countess,M.Robinson,Furman etc. as well as some solid 3 stars like Carvin Johnson,Talbott,Crawford,Hollowell. Floyd will start opposite Woolfolk as a RS JR and he looked solid before his injury last year too. Gordon had a pretty solid year despite being in his first year and moving around to multiple different positions. Let him settle in at WLB and he looks like a playmaker to me. I thought Mike Williams had a solid Sophomore year before missing all of last year. He comes back this year and was a top 5 DB in his recruiting class. Q.Washington was a highly ranked recruit as an OG and was switched to DT and showed flashes. If he stays there full time, he has a chance to be an impact player at NT.

I owed you an answer here.

So, I agree, Roh has talent. I definitely missed him.

The other guy I missed is Ryan Van Bergen. Not a great player, but an average big 10 DL.

I saw absolutely nothing from Cullen Christian or Courtney Avery. They may get better, and perhaps good position coaching will help but I have serious doubts that either could ever be a starter or even a 3rd down back on a 4-7th best defense in the big 10.

I can imagine Floyd working his way up to being a below average Big 10 corner.

Marvin Robinson to me is a guy that could get to average in his Junior/Senior year. Not next year.

Jibreel Black could be a good big 10 DE by his Junior/Senior year. One would think that he and Roh would get the overwhelming majority of the DE reps next year if I'm right. Next year, I think he *could* be average. Which means that the DL could have Martin, Roh, Black, and Van Bergen as four average to good DL. The problem is, apart from Martin, none of them have their strengths in the run stop area.

Carvin Johnson could be coached up to below average or average SS or LB by the time he's a junior/senior. No way next year.

Mike Williams, according to every eval I've ever seen, is just horrible. He was horrible in 2009, which is why we were playing Kovacs, and this year, playing freshmen. The presence of players like Williams on special teams might be why we've been so awful there.

So that's 9 guys that could get to below average or above within the next 3 years.

Ash and Wilkins are guys they decided were worse than Sagesse and Banks as freshmen. To me, that says their ceilings can't be all that high.

Countess looks like a good recruit. Obviously it's a rare true freshman that can make a team a lot better. But of course, all he has to do is be better than Vinopal or Carvin Johnson, so that shouldn't be **too** hard..

This was a good discussion, but I stand by my contention that Michigan isn't even close to having "plenty of talent" on defense. That is, if your goal is to have a top 25-30 defense in 2011/12. They simply do not have the horses for that at this point. Getting up to top 60 or so, that looks doable to me. Beyond that, you need better talent. Of course, the top 60 assumes, for instance, that you hire a DC that actually knows the defense you're going to run, and doesn't have defensive assistants calling the shots. I'm hopeful that Hoke will at least be able to do that.

Rob

Hey, I appreciate your honest thoughts on the subject. I think your timelines are a little long probably and you have given up on some guys a little early maybe, but I agree with much of it. All I'm saying is, we have more than 3 players. Some still aren't ready and most aren't premium talent, but Hoke has something to work with. He should be able to make a big step from last year, even if that doesn't take us very high in the end. We should improve at least a little just by adding Woolfolk, getting Martin healthy,getting a new DC and aging everyone a year.

Miles turned down more money to stay at LSU | CollegeFootballTalk

Miles turned down more money to stay at LSU

It seems as if Michigan — athletic director David Brandon specifically — has gone out of its way to state that Brady Hoke was the only coach offered their head coaching job, although it doesn’t exactly take a rocket surgeon to realize the school is merely splitting hairs when it came to their pursuit of Jim Harbaugh and Les Miles.

Frankly, if either of those two had wanted the job, it was theirs for the taking.

To further buttress that fact, at least on the Miles side of the equation, a member of LSU’s board confirmed that the talks between LSU’s head coach and Michigan were serious enough that money was discussed. And that Miles turned down a significant raise to remain in Baton Rouge.

“He was offered more than 4 million to become the Michigan coach,” LSU Board of Supervisors member Stanley Jacobs told the Shreveport Times. “When he said no, they came back and offered him more. And he said no again. …

“He never leveraged his offer from Michigan for more money from LSU. This guy is the real deal. He really is. He was offered more money. I was told in the $4.25 million range and turned it down. Then they came back and offered more, and he turned it down again.”

Miles currently makes $3.75 million, and the two sides are currently working on a new contract that, unbelievably, will not include a bump in pay.

The man who presides over the entire LSU institution also decided to take a little jab at the school that was in hot pursuit of their coach, taking issue with Brandon’s claim that the job was only offered to Hoke.

“Well, if Hoke was his first choice, he could’ve signed him up prior to ever talking to Les or Harbaugh,” LSU chancellor Mike Martin said. “Don’t you think?”

[/burn]

Look, we think Michigan made a helluva hire in Hoke, and think they may end up being better off in the long run that they didn’t land Miles. But, it’s disingenuous at best to cloak yourself in semantics when it comes to who was at the top of your to-do list.

Interesting if true.

Also shows a bit of arrogance on Brandon's part. Thinking someone will leave a powerhouse program like LSU to rebuild a broken down program like Michigan for $500k more a year.

Except this offer somewhat makes sense, knowing you would have to offer more money than LSU to get him.

You would have to be an idiot to think they offered $3 million a year.