FRM710

UM FB Coach

This all is a bunch of crap. The athletic department totally screwed this up. Brady Hoke does not have the credentials to coach at Michigan. He would not even be brought up as a candidate if he hadn't been an assistant coach at Michigan. This whole Michigan man stuff has gone too far. News flash to all the people out there that think there is some sort of magic Michigan man criteria to coach in Ann Arbor, the days of Bo are over. It's time to move on. If we keep chasing people like this and the idea of a Michigan man head coach we will never be relevant. It just so happens the top candidate out there played for Bo, but had he played anywhere else would that have made a difference? No, he was still the top candidate.

All those people who wanted RichRod gone, I hope you are happy. Michigan is likely about to hire a coach who has no right to be the head coach at Michigan, we are going to have a crater of a recruiting class, and the rest of the college football world will laugh at us while we slip into Notre Dame territory.

Other coaches who didn't have the credentials to coach at the schools that hired them:

Bo Schembechler

Woody Hayes

Jim Tressel

Gene Chizik

Bobby Bowden

Jim Harbaugh (when hired by Stanford)

I for one am glad that DB has the confidence and security to hire the guy who he thinks is the right man for the job over the long-term and not the one that will score him the most popularity points right now. I think that 10 years from now, people will look back at this as a positive transformational moment in Michigan history.

What about Bobby Ross for a few years just to right the ship? He got a raw deal at his last few stops and would be that established presence that we all want.

Mangino is my other top pic. Guy is unconvential, but he won a BCS game at Kansas, that says something.

What about Bobby Ross for a few years just to right the ship? He got a raw deal at his last few stops and would be that established presence that we all want.

Mangino is my other top pic. Guy is unconvential, but he won a BCS game at Kansas, that says something.

Bobby may be youngster in JoePa years, but if the state hadn't repealed the 'U's old mandatory retirement age , he'd be 5 yrs past it.

I'm ok with Hoke after all is said and done, let me say that first.

2nd and probably most important, if you weren't on here saying that Rich Rodriguez shoudl be kept on as Head Coach, then you are one of the main reasons that the University of Michigan has hired Brady Hoke on this day. Amusingly enough, you people are probably the ones complaining the loudest. This was going to be a search of mostly "Michigan men" because that's what you all wanted. A return to traditional, big 10, Bo and Woody 3 yards and a cloud of dust football. That left us with minimal candidates. Petersen,Patterson,Mullen and guys like that were probably out of the question all along. That left us with 2 guys who had better jobs and then Hoke, so basically just Hoke. What more did you expect?

You throw in the Harbaugh pedigree (he was an assistant under JH's dad at Western, and coached with brother John there). Something had to rub off, throw in his experience with Carr at Michigan.

While you are not getting Jim Harbaugh, you are getting someone with basically the same background, minus Mike Ditka, Dave Wannstadt and Lindy Infante.

and Harbaugh had a similar, but probably less impressive resume when he got the Stanford job and look what he was able to do. It's often better to get a guy before the hype catches up to him rather than after he is a known figure.

Ridiculous. Even if Rodriguez were still the coach and Bud Foster came over as the DC, I wouldn't expect 10 wins. The talent on defense is not good.

There is plenty of talent on defense. MAybe not an elite unit, but enough to be plenty respectable given how good the offense could be.

Golden is a young (11 years younger than Hoke), talented coach, he was wanted by lots of schools, he turned Temple, a much, much, worse program than Ball State around quicker than Hoke.

Muschamp was the head coach in waiting at Texas.

They're both better than Hoke by a lot.

No program is worse than Ball State at the FBS level, let alone much,much worse. Let's not bring too much ignorance into this discussion. BSU is a worse program in a tougher conference.

Did someoen actually use Ball State falling apart after Hoke left AGAINST Hoke? That's some quality stuff. Does he really need to apologize for not winning 10 per at 2 of the worst programs in America before he got to them?

I can't wait to see the opinions of Hoke in a year or 2.

and Harbaugh had a similar, but probably less impressive resume when he got the Stanford job and look what he was able to do. It's often better to get a guy before the hype catches up to him rather than after he is a known figure.

Harbaugh went to Stanford though, not Michigan. Stanford is a good stepping stone position for an up and coming head coach. Michigan is supposed to be where premium coaches land. Not anymore apparently. Who would blame a coach for not wanting to come here though? We all know what this fan base does to head coaches who aren't Michigan men. Drag their name through the mud.

Brady Hoke has had one good season in his coaching career, that season ended with him betting blown out by Buffalo (another superior MAC coach: Turner Gill, hired by NCAA powerhouse Kansas) what a legend.

I'd love to see any rational basis for Hoke having a better resume than Rodriguez. He has a much worse record in much easier conferences. He has no reputation as a great coach, he was not offered the Alabama job, he is not an innovator in any way. By his own words he thinks the teams in the national title game don't know how to play proper football.

You need to look at what that guy did this year bro. One year my ***. He had one of the best seasons in college football this past year, at SD State. I realize they were 9-4, but like I already said, he lost by 15 combined points to 3 schools who had top 10 rankings at some point during the year and Air Force, another 9 win team IIRC. The losses to Mizzou and Air Force had game changing bad calls that the NCAA called Hoke and apologized for afterwards and he caoched circles around Patterson.

Harbaugh went to Stanford though, not Michigan. Stanford is a good stepping stone position for an up and coming head coach. Michigan is supposed to be where premium coaches land. Not anymore apparently. Who would blame a coach for not wanting to come here though? We all know what this fan base does to head coaches who aren't Michigan men. Drag their name through the mud.

I get that and that matters, but I think througout the process of interviews, background checks, talking to people who know the candidates etc., you can figure out what they have to offer as a head coach. Also, Hoke is not a Michigan man because he coached here, he is a Michigan man because he values and understand the qualities that Michigan wants there football program to be about. Running a clean program, playing physical football with top defenses and running games etc. Hoke has also shown himself to be a widely respected recruiter and one of the best teachers and motivators in the game. Guys will run through a wall for him.

Like I said, I like the idea of jumping the gun and getting a guy before he is hot rather than waiting for them to settle in elsewhere and then trying to drag them away from their program. It's never easy to do that.

I get that and that matters, but I think througout the process of interviews, background checks, talking to people who know the candidates etc., you can figure out what they have to offer as a head coach. Also, Hoke is not a Michigan man because he coached here, he is a Michigan man because he values and understand the qualities that Michigan wants there football program to be about. Running a clean program, playing physical football with top defenses and running games etc. Hoke has also shown himself to be a widely respected recruiter and one of the best teachers and motivators in the game. Guys will run through a wall for him.

Like I said, I like the idea of jumping the gun and getting a guy before he is hot rather than waiting for them to settle in elsewhere and then trying to drag them away from their program. It's never easy to do that.

I have no doubt Hoke probably understands what Michigan is all about because he was here for a good amount of time. I think that is good, and should be taken into account. However, I think we put too much stock into that point alone. Hoke has had a pretty mediocre career in 2 cruddy conferences. I just don't think he has proven enough to be coach at Michigan. Not only that, he thinks that an offense that the two best teams in the country this year ran and our QB is perfect for is to be avoided because it is basketball on grass. That makes me wonder a little bit, does it make you wonder too?

I just wanted to reiterate this, even though it's water under the bridge now.

If the guy is Hoke, I'm okay with that. But I expect 10 wins next season. Anything short of 10 wins next season and I'd like to see Brandon fired.

So, I don't think any coach could win 10 games with this team next year. I think it's "possible", but highly improbable.

They simply don't have the horses, even if Hoke fixes the defense to be 60th or so, as I suspect he will.

Rob

Hoke is fine as a coach. But what worries me the most now is recruiting. What are we at now, around #30 in the country? That is sure to drop. Hopefully Hoke has the ability to recruit. Recruit for a bruised program.