FRM710

UM FB Coach

Les Miles. I am flabbergasted by anyone who says they wouldn't want him here in Ann Arbor. Unbelievable.

Les Miles. I am flabbergasted by anyone who says they wouldn't want him here in Ann Arbor. Unbelievable.

I don't get it either

Some people like to do things the right way I guess.

I don't get the Miles hate either. He was slimy in the SEC cuz that's the name of the game. He's Michigan/Bo born and bred and he's a top recruiter.

I'd probably take Miles/Petersen as my first choices. Petersen can work with our talent and he can also put a good D on the field. Boise's D is very good. I tend to agree with the guy who said he was the brains behind Hawkins too. He has a lot of quality wins as BSU HC.

After that I'd take Gruden if he'd come(down the list a little due to lack of experience) and Hoke. I think Hoke woudl actually do a damn good job, but not sure he is the best we can do, that's the problem.

Patterson is choice #1, but he seems out after his extension.

Guys like Trgovac and Fullmer make me puke. Really people?

Some people like to do things the right way I guess.

If going a combined 62-17 in 6 years in the SEC is wrong, baby I don't want to be right :cheeky:

If going a combined 62-17 in 6 years in the SEC is wrong, baby I don't want to be right :cheeky:

Some people have standards :wink:

I don't get the Miles hate either. He was slimy in the SEC cuz that's the name of the game. He's Michigan/Bo born and bred and he's a top recruiter.

I'd probably take Miles/Petersen as my first choices. Petersen can work with our talent and he can also put a good D on the field. Boise's D is very good. I tend to agree with the guy who said he was the brains behind Hawkins too. He has a lot of quality wins as BSU HC.

After that I'd take Gruden if he'd come(down the list a little due to lack of experience) and Hoke. I think Hoke woudl actually do a damn good job, but not sure he is the best we can do, that's the problem.

Patterson is choice #1, but he seems out after his extension.

Guys like Trgovac and Fullmer make me puke. Really people?

Miles - Grass eater

Peterson - Look at the track record of his predecessors

Gruden - no college experience

Hoke - 3 bad seasons are no reason to run back to Carr

Some of my choices...

Fulmer, Tuberville, Neuheisel, Tommy Bowden, Mark Mangino, George O'leary, etc. there's a lot of talent to be had out there.

Edited by MichiganFan1717
should be "tommy" not "terry" bowden... that would have been outrageous, huh?

The concept of 'value-added' comes in for me with Miles, he took over for Nick Saban in a recruiting hotbed and hasn't necessarily done any better than an average coach would in that situation. Given his numerous in-game mistakes, I don't rate Miles very highly as a coach, though I think he'd be relatively successful here because of his experience and ties to the area.

Lol, I can understand finding a criticism in every coach and all that, it's understandable really. However, to rip the list you did and then name the guys you did afterwards, that's just hilarious. I wouldn't interview one guy you listed. Hoke is going back to Carr? Then what is Fullmer, who got Carr'd out of Tennessee??? O'Leary, who fudged his resume and got fired before coaching a game? T.Bowden and Tuberville? Mangino? I'd consider all of those guys, if I was Indiana or Minnesota Are you freakin' serious dude?

People are way too hung up on the NFL only thing too. Who are all these guys that have had trouble with ths switch? It's much harder the other way. Gruden can coach, flat out. I mean, there i a reason you go through the process, interviews, background etc., but if the reason to not hire one of the most coveted names out there is that he has only done it at a higher level............

Hoke is not a huge name and his resume was built at small schools, I get it. It's a rightful concern. However, those that know this guy, whether they played for him, coached with him, coached against him or whatever else, are all in for this guy. He clearly has an effect on everyone around him. People swear that his players will run through a wall for him and he believes in smashmouth football on O and D, which people seem to like. He can also adjust, as he ran a spread and 3-3-5 amusingly enough, last year. His pure record is not why you are hiring him. I know Ball State had supposedly the easiest schedule, but what's an easy schedule for a bottom 5 program? Seriously. People in the MAC swear that if a guy can win at Ball State, he can win anywhere, they are completely awful before and after him, a total joke.

As far as Petersen, I have concerns there too, but again, there is a reason for the process. Eliminating him because of Hawkins is shortsighted and stupid. The guy runs an offense that can use our talent and has shown he can coach a very good defense.

I don't even know what Grass eater means, but Les Miles will come here and win if hired, without oversized classes.

Miles - Grass eater

Peterson - Look at the track record of his predecessors

Gruden - no college experience

Hoke - 3 bad seasons are no reason to run back to Carr

Some of my choices...

Fulmer, Tuberville, Neuheisel, Tommy Bowden, Mark Mangino, George O'leary, etc. there's a lot of talent to be had out there.

Is this tongue in cheek? You dismiss the quality candidates and manage to compile a list of the worst possible choices for the UM head coaching job.

Tator #2.

I mean seriously, Mark Mangino, O'Leary?

Lol, I can understand finding a criticism in every coach and all that, it's understandable really. However, to rip the list you did and then name the guys you did afterwards, that's just hilarious. I wouldn't interview one guy you listed. Hoke is going back to Carr? Then what is Fullmer, who got Carr'd out of Tennessee??? O'Leary, who fudged his resume and got fired before coaching a game? T.Bowden and Tuberville? Mangino? I'd consider all of those guys, if I was Indiana or Minnesota Are you freakin' serious dude?

People are way too hung up on the NFL only thing too. Who are all these guys that have had trouble with ths switch? It's much harder the other way. Gruden can coach, flat out. I mean, there i a reason you go through the process, interviews, background etc., but if the reason to not hire one of the most coveted names out there is that he has only done it at a higher level............

Hoke is not a huge name and his resume was built at small schools, I get it. It's a rightful concern. However, those that know this guy, whether they played for him, coached with him, coached against him or whatever else, are all in for this guy. He clearly has an effect on everyone around him. People swear that his players will run through a wall for him and he believes in smashmouth football on O and D, which people seem to like. He can also adjust, as he ran a spread and 3-3-5 amusingly enough, last year. His pure record is not why you are hiring him. I know Ball State had supposedly the easiest schedule, but what's an easy schedule for a bottom 5 program? Seriously. People in the MAC swear that if a guy can win at Ball State, he can win anywhere, they are completely awful before and after him, a total joke.

As far as Petersen, I have concerns there too, but again, there is a reason for the process. Eliminating him because of Hawkins is shortsighted and stupid. The guy runs an offense that can use our talent and has shown he can coach a very good defense.

I don't even know what Grass eater means, but Les Miles will come here and win if hired, without oversized classes.

I agree with mostly all of this. The one thing I want to expand on is the NFL to college switch. I think in Grudens case, it doesnt apply. He does have experience has a college assistant, but furthermore, he has an incredibly high football IQ. Wherever he goes players will respond. Gruden is by far my #1 choice, #2 is Patterson.

Im not high on Miles either. Of course all of this is subject to change.

I assume the integrity issues with Miles come in with the Moeller rumors, and how he handled the oversigning issue in LSU. I haven't made up my mind as to what the relevance is with either issue.

(Didn't M sign 26, for example, last year? Same thing could have happened if they all had the proper grades. Ironic, that recruiting a lesser student or two would have saved him some face).

When the NCAA steps in and reinstates the student part of the term student-athlete then I'll care and want change to happen. Until that happens, enjoy going 1-3 against the SEC every year. There winning national titles, we're getting embarrassed.

It is funny to me that on the political board you are Mr. Free Market, but when it comes to sports, you are advocating the manipulation the system, by saying the Lions should intentionally throw games to gain a higher draft pick, and that the B10 schools should write checks they might not be able to cash.

Oversigning is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be, just another excuse for teams who are losing to accuse other teams of cheating. A lot of times guys are signed knowing full well they are not qualifying so that the team can place them at a juco school close by and can follow their progress. Sometimes teams have higher attrition than normal and get EE in so they can fill their roster. Just because a team oversigns doesnt mean they are doing something shady

I agree with mostly all of this. The one thing I want to expand on is the NFL to college switch. I think in Grudens case, it doesnt apply. He does have experience has a college assistant, but furthermore, he has an incredibly high football IQ. Wherever he goes players will respond. Gruden is by far my #1 choice, #2 is Patterson.

Im not high on Miles either. Of course all of this is subject to change.

Very well said. I am big on Patterson as well

Oversigning is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be, just another excuse for teams who are losing to accuse other teams of cheating. A lot of times guys are signed knowing full well they are not qualifying so that the team can place them at a juco school close by and can follow their progress. Sometimes teams have higher attrition than normal and get EE in so they can fill their roster. Just because a team oversigns doesnt mean they are doing something shady

Dude, look at the numbers of the classes of big 10 teams and SEC teams in recent years. Something isn't right.

I guess our definitions of shady dont jive.

I am warming up to Hoke.

But I would need to know he is respected in recruiting circles. Also, he would have to answer the following question first.....

Brady, how much will smurfs contribute to the future success of Michigan? If he answers......What the **** is a smurf?.....then he gets a lifelong contract at UM!

I am warming up to Hoke.

But I would need to know he is respected in recruiting circles. Also, he would have to answer the following question first.....

Brady, how much will smurfs contribute to the future success of Michigan? If he answers......What the **** is a smurf?.....then he gets a lifelong contract at UM!

made me laugh, good stuff.

Very well said. I am big on Patterson as well

You can forget Patterson.....he signed a contract extension with TCU yesterday through 2018 at $3m per year. I suppose there is a buyout clause but I think Patterson has grown roots here.

It is funny to me that on the political board you are Mr. Free Market, but when it comes to sports, you are advocating the manipulation the system, by saying the Lions should intentionally throw games to gain a higher draft pick, and that the B10 schools should write checks they might not be able to cash.

The SEC manipulating recruiting doesn't hamper anyone's free market ability. It isn't as if the SEC is somehow putting up a barrier weather physical or legal towards the Big Ten that won't let them recruit in some geographic area or recruit certain players. The SEC's manipulation is within the confines of legal justice and in accordance with current NCAA guidelines. The Lions are a business first and foremost, winning and loosing are a facet of their business, if they choose to lose then that is their right as an organization so as long as a fraudulent act (i.e. betting/bribery to change game outcomes) is not being committed.

Someone told me yesterday that the average number of kids given scholarships in the SEC is 101 and the Big Ten is 86. Something like that. It's a lot easier to compete when you can just cut the kids who don't live up to expectations like Saban and Meyer and the rest of the SEC do.

All Michigan needs to do to prevent Miles from oversigning is to say "Les, you can't do that."

Bam. Problem solved. The guy is a good recruiter and a coach who hires top talent as his assistants. Plus he still recruits the midwest even as LSU's coach. He's a national recruiter. And he'd take the Michigan job as his last job. Works for me. Gruden is a ridiculous notion. Dungy is even more ridiculous. Petersen wouldn't work. Patterson isn't likely to either.

They weren't able to keep Harbaugh from the NFL. Oh well, time to move on and get the other candidate who has won at the top level.

If it were a true Free Market, teams would be able to sign as many players as they want. it's not a free market, it's a controlled environment policed by the NCAA.

(P.S.: there are no such things as free markets, it's a cliche invented by conservatives to sell their political agenda)