FRM710

UM FB Coach

Does anyone have a link where they say that Gruden is really a target, and has interest in the Michigan job?

This isnt really saying Gruden is a source. But the Freep is seeing the same things we are:

Michigan updates on Miles, Mullen, Gruden and Hoke | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

An update on possible candidates to become Michigan’s next coach as compiled by Free Press staff and wire services:

Les Miles (updated)

ESPN.com reports that Michigan and LSU coach Les Miles are expected to meet soon.

LSU’s vice chancellor and director of athletics Joe Alleva made this statement regarding Miles today, according to the Advocate in Baton Rouge: “I have not been contacted by anyone from the University of Michigan about Les Miles. Les Miles is LSU’s head coach and we are going to do everything we can to keep it that way. He has had great success here and we plan to keep enjoying that success under his leadership.”

LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson also said his coach will be back next season, but Miles himself hasn’t yet said he’s staying. When asked immediately after LSU’s victory Friday night in the Cotton Bowl if he’d be back next season, there was an extended pause before Miles responded to reporters there, “It’s a wonderful place. I love it here.”

Dan Mullen

The latest name to land on Internet message boards, despite agreeing to a four-year, $10.6-million contract with Mississippi State in December. Mullen is familiar with the spread offense and knows Michigan well, having beaten the Wolverines, 52-14, in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 1.

Jon Gruden

Twitter is buzzing today with reports that the former NFL coach is interviewing for the U-M job. He's been away from coaching since 2008, but he has a Super Bowl ring.

Brady Hoke

Many call the San Diego State coach the top candidate — after Miles. Trace Armstrong, Hoke’s agent, told the San Diego Union Tribune that Michigan has “done a really good job of keeping the job search quiet” and still no word from Hoke either.

Oversigning is wrong...some teams in the MAC do it and I wish they wouldn't. If all of the kids you sign qualify academically, somebody gets screwed out of a scholarship and they're left scrambling when they might have gone elsewhere if they knew you were oversigning.

Oversigning is wrong...some teams in the MAC do it and I wish they wouldn't. If all of the kids you sign qualify academically, somebody gets screwed out of a scholarship and they're left scrambling when they might have gone elsewhere if they knew you were oversigning.

Seems odd the NCAA would allow this since it's so detrimental to the interests of student athletes. Oh yeah - its the NCAA....:confused:

I've only heard of this the past few months and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten much more publicity (although I guess Cam Newton and Tattoogate have taken away some column space). Is this only an issue with football? I had heard that this predominantly an SEC issue (go figure) so I'm surprised to see the MAC being mentioned.

They do things I wish the Big Ten would do, over-signing and getting JC recruits. However, you can't deny there are plenty of quality coaches in the SEC. Saban, Miles, Meyer (formally anyway), Mullen, Richt, Petrino, Spurrier. Those guys and their assistants aren't just a bunch of shlubs who win because their lucky to be able to have over-signings and recruit JC guys, there is some good coaching at those schools.

You would really want for a team to oversign athletes? Maybe I am misinterpreting, but isn't oversigning basically promising scholarships to more athletes than you have scholarships for? Seems just a bit shady to me.

They do things I wish the Big Ten would do, over-signing and getting JC recruits. However, you can't deny there are plenty of quality coaches in the SEC. Saban, Miles, Meyer (formally anyway), Mullen, Richt, Petrino, Spurrier. Those guys and their assistants aren't just a bunch of shlubs who win because their lucky to be able to have over-signings and recruit JC guys, there is some good coaching at those schools.

It has become very clear why you support Fulmer. Over-signing is one of the worst things a coach can do in my opinion, its just plain cruel to whatever kid gets his scholarship stripped away. The Big Ten is held to higher standards than the SEC, which is why you wont see JC transfers. The Big Ten is more than just athletics, they truly value the academics as well.

They are good coaches there, but they do things differently, something I wouldnt want to see in the Big Ten.

They are good coaches there, but they do things differently, something I wouldnt want to see in the Big Ten.

Every once in a while the SEC coaches grant the request of the recruit saying, "SHOW ME THE MONEY."

After the whole Pryor and OSU stuff, as Jim Rome stated, the big ten has to lay off their holier than thou attitude. If that thing happened at an sec school the big ten would go nuts talking about how dirty the sec is and how the NCAA is favoring them allowing them to play in the bowl.

Why do people want Gruden? taking Gruden to Michigan would be the equivalent of taking weiss to Notre Dame. He's a pro guy, not a college guy.

Besides, Gruden is not coming to Michigan. It's a pipe dream. He will eventually become a coach in the NFL again. And if he DID come to Michigan, he'd be mentioned for every pro job every year and eventually leave.

I don't know. The guy is a football genius and I think playes respond to him. I think young guys like playing for him. He's a teacher, pure and simple and guys will know he can get them ready for the NFL.

After the whole Pryor and OSU stuff, as Jim Rome stated, the big ten has to lay off their holier than thou attitude. If that thing happened at an sec school the big ten would go nuts talking about how dirty the sec is and how the NCAA is favoring them allowing them to play in the bowl.

So one teams players make a mistake and now the whole conference should relax their standards?

And Jim Rome is certainly no voice of reason.

a lot of things sicken me. One is the drive to professionalize college football so that it becomes a minor leagues for the NFL. FTNFL!

It has become very clear why you support Fulmer. Over-signing is one of the worst things a coach can do in my opinion, its just plain cruel to whatever kid gets his scholarship stripped away. The Big Ten is held to higher standards than the SEC, which is why you wont see JC transfers. The Big Ten is more than just athletics, they truly value the academics as well.

They are good coaches there, but they do things differently, something I wouldn't want to see in the Big Ten.

When the NCAA steps in and reinstates the student part of the term student-athlete then I'll care and want change to happen. Until that happens, enjoy going 1-3 against the SEC every year. There winning national titles, we're getting embarrassed.

When the NCAA steps in and reinstates the student part of the term student-athlete then I'll care and want change to happen. Until that happens, enjoy going 1-3 against the SEC every year. There winning national titles, we're getting embarrassed.

So, basically you're against the NCAA for diminishing the "student" role of student-athletes, but yet you encourage the SEC's shady recruiting rules, under the guise of you being upset with the NCAA for allowing it?

Your posting in this thread is entirely hypocritical. You state how important it is for Michigan/the big ten to beat the SEC, and you wish Michigan adopted the same recruiting standards as the SEC, which penalize the very student athletes you chastise the NCAA for not supporting.

Why should the Big Ten have to lower their standards? Its much bigger than just winning football games. You need to look at the whole picture.

Also, youre reasoning is obviously hypocritical. Youre upset that NCAA lowers their standards for student athletes, yet you are asking the Big Ten to do this exact thing, for the sole reason of winning football games.

Perspective....

I don't know. The guy is a football genius and I think playes respond to him. I think young guys like playing for him. He's a teacher, pure and simple and guys will know he can get them ready for the NFL.

Do you give credit to Dungy for building Gruden's Super Bowl winning team?

IMHO, if Dungy would have stayed as Tampa Bay's coach they still would have won the Super Bowl.

Honestly that has little to do with my opinion of Gruden,but I certainly don't believe they woudl have won without him. Not sure what makes you think so, Gruden was the only difference on that team that had failed to make it all the way for a few years. He made the offense just respectable enough to compliment the great defense.

Dungy is a solid coach who surrounded himself with great assistans, but I don't think he is a great coach by any means. A good starter coach for a rebuilding team. Maybe the only guy who would make me not loyal to UM football if made HC.

Here are the odds from Bodog.

Brady Hoke 10/11

Chris Petersen 15/1

Gary Patterson 5/1

Jon Gruden 10/1

Kyle Whittingham 20/1

Les Miles 5/4

Mike Trgovac 15/1

I see why its easy to get excited about guys like Dungy or Gruden, but I don't know why we stopped talking about proven college guys... Lets take another look at Phil Fulmer, he had a great track record at Tennessee and would look great in Maize and Blue

Who would the board's Wolverine fans most like to see from that list? Least like?

Gruden is the only one who I like on that list.

If its between Hoke and Miles, I would take Hoke. I want Les Miles nowhere near Michigan.