FRM710

UM FB Coach

It's gonna be Harbaugh. I have a feeling they have had something worked out for some time but out of respect and courtesy Brandon is letting Jim stay with Stanford through the bowl game.

If that's the case, I think he'll take the 49ers job. Why risk struggling at Michigan when you have an offer to coach for the NFL team practically in your backyard?

Because the 49ers are horribly mismanaged and directed by a 29 year old college boy as the Team President. They play in one of the worst stadiums in the NFL and no prospects for a new stadium for a few more years. Also, they have no QB to speak of...which is a recipe for failure in the NFL. I don't think he has any allegiances whatsoever to the 49ers...whereas Michigan holds a strong connection for him.

Phil Fulmer. What a joke.

You can't bring richrod back now. They just suffered through the worst three seasons in the last 40 years at Michigan. Just got their worst bowl beating of all time...to MISSISSIPPI STATE. Just got their asses handed to them by Ohio State again. And show no signs of getting better.

It shouldn't take three years to be competitive at Michigan. richRod had his shot and he couldn't do it. Time to move on.

You don't keep him in place simply to justify the hiring mistake of your misguided predecessor. speaking of which, how has no one talked to Sailor Bill Martin about this fiasco he created? Does he still dare to live in Ann Arbor?

Harbaugh will be here in a week. If not, hope and pray that Brady Hoke is the new Schembechler.

Because the 49ers are horribly mismanaged and directed by a 29 year old college boy as the Team President. They play in one of the worst stadiums in the NFL and no prospects for a new stadium for a few more years. Also, they have no QB to speak of...which is a recipe for failure in the NFL. I don't think he has any allegiances whatsoever to the 49ers...whereas Michigan holds a strong connection for him.

Exactly.

That being said, there will be plenty of NFL jobs open next year. The Giants and Texans will both have starting NFL QBs in place and they might be interested in Harbaugh (whichever one doesn't get Cowher). He's the hot commodity and can write his own ticket at this point. If he goes to the NFL, I hope it's not to San Fran for his sake.

But if he wants a real challenge, there's a place outside of Detroit looking for heroes at the moment...

Those are good points against the 49ers. I'm still not sure he'd turn them down, especially if he's offered a contract worth over $5 million/year. OTOH, he might really want to coach at his alma mater, or another NFL team might offer him a better deal at a better franchise.

I think the money, competition, and the allure of not having to uproot his family will lead Harbaugh to take the 49ers job. I don't think he cares about the stadium or the QB. The guy took Stanford from 1-11 to a BCS bowl game and he's arrogant enough to believe that he'll do the same anywhere he goes.

IMHO, Tony Dungy is the best candidate but he seems very content doing what he's doing now. My first call would be to find out how committed Chip Kelly really is to staying Oregon. He's turning it around but it's been a stepping stone and not a destination job. I'd expect Phil Knight to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Les Miles would be next on the list and I get the sense that he'd leave this time for Michigan. His record and recruits are excellent but those LSU fans just won't quite accept him. He'd make an excellent coach in the Big10. UM fans should be happy to get him.

Hoke is a very nice backup and its nice to know that if all else fails that he'd take the job in a heartbeat and be a good hire.

Phil Fulmer. What a joke.

Harbaugh will be here in a week. If not, hope and pray that Brady Hoke is the new Schembechler.

The new Bo, you mean 2-8 in Rose Bowl appearances or 5-12 overall with a .294 winning percentage in bowl games? Would that be acceptable out of Hoke or any new hire? I wouldn't call Fulmer the joke!

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Lived next door to Heater one year. He was living with 3 3rd stringers, one of whom was a QB that Bo gave his one and only down to late in a final home game his senior yr. BTW - that's the kind of thing college coaches get to do that is largely missing in the pro game.

My cousin was one of Chuck Heaters roomies in 1975.

The new Bo, you mean 2-8 in Rose Bowl appearances or 5-12 overall with a .294 winning percentage in bowl games? Would that be acceptable out of Hoke or any new hire? I wouldn't call Fulmer the joke!

Are you saying Fulmer is a better coach than Bo Schembechler was?

I think the money, competition, and the allure of not having to uproot his family will lead Harbaugh to take the 49ers job. I don't think he cares about the stadium or the QB. The guy took Stanford from 1-11 to a BCS bowl game and he's arrogant enough to believe that he'll do the same anywhere he goes.

I still think Harbaugh takes the Michigan job. That is probably his "holy Grail" of college coaching jobs. Really, there are always NFL jobs available, but if Michigan lands a good coach, it may be a decade or more before the job opens again. On top of that, expectations couldn't be any lower at UM. People will be blaming RR for years if things don't turn around right away for Harbaugh. We'll see next week.

Are you saying Fulmer is a better coach than Bo Schembechler was?

I'm saying that people are putting Bo on a pedestal and ridiculing Fulmer as a coach, which I believe to be for no other reason than what happened in 1997. Will I saw he's better, I might. In terms of winning percentage Schembechler has the overall edge at .800 to .745. In terms of of national title appearances, titles overall, and bowl game wins, Fulmer has the edge. Depending on your criteria for success, you could call it either way. To make Fulmer out as just some crass, unsophisticated, Jed Clampet like bumpkin schlub who wasn't very successful at winning and cheated to win when he did has seemingly been painted here and doesn't reflect reality.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Why the hell are we talking about Bo or Fullmer? :confused:

I know why I'm talking about Fulmer. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean we all have to stick to some storyline about the next Michigan coach. Why the hell are you talking about us talking about them?

My short version on Fulmer...

-I want to see a change in Michigan football and its mindset overall (yes Rich Rod has failed at his attempt, but that doesn't mean everyone will fail)

-I would like a little SEC flavor in playbook schemes and in my mentality about what our goals are for the season

-I want winning National Titles and BCS Bowls to become a primary focus

-I don't see 60 years old as too old yet to be a head coach

-I like what I see in a .745 lifetime winning percentage, a 8-7 bowl record, two National Title appearances and one win

-I like the idea of having someone who coached and recruited in the toughest conference in the country (and happened to have a lot of success doing so)

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I'm saying that people are putting Bo on a pedestal and ridiculing Fulmer as a coach, which I believe to be for no other reason than what happened in 1997. Will I saw he's better, I might. In terms of winning percentage Schembechler has the overall edge at .800 to .745. In terms of of national title appearances, titles overall, and bowl game wins, Fulmer has the edge. Depending on your criteria for success, you could call it either way.

Bo was from a different world than today's college sports. He was totally conference oriented - very much like his mentor Woody was, and didn't care if UM didn't play a style that didn't match up well against the more 'modern' Pac10. I'd be willing to bet that had the rest of the Big10 been playing the style the Pac10 was already playing, Bo could have/would have coached it, and won, and thus had a program more competitive outside the conference. Remember, when Bo came started at UM, you weren't going to the Rose Bowl more than every other year even if you went undefeated

I know why I'm talking about Fulmer. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean we all have to stick to some storyline about the next Michigan coach. Why the hell are you talking about us talking about them?

I'm talking about them because once again you strike with your football brilliance.

IMHO, Tony Dungy is the best candidate but he seems very content doing what he's doing now. My first call would be to find out how committed Chip Kelly really is to staying Oregon. He's turning it around but it's been a stepping stone and not a destination job. I'd expect Phil Knight to make him an offer he can't refuse.

Les Miles would be next on the list and I get the sense that he'd leave this time for Michigan. His record and recruits are excellent but those LSU fans just won't quite accept him. He'd make an excellent coach in the Big10. UM fans should be happy to get him.

Hoke is a very nice backup and its nice to know that if all else fails that he'd take the job in a heartbeat and be a good hire.

His kids are young tho, aren't they? Uprooting comes into play for his wife, but probably not his kids. And I'm not sure the NFL really provides better job security than CFB. If he wants a place for his family to live for the next 10+ years, it's probably Palo Alto or Ann Arbor.

they don't quote bible verses do they? :wink:

I think Gary Patterson could be on the list of possible replacements, but I think it's a done deal with Harbaugh. I will predict that we'll see a press conference on Wednesday or Thursday and its gonna be a deal for 6 years and about 22 million bucks (4 years guaranteed). It really isn't about money for Harbaugh - he has plenty of money already.

Ditka has a better chance of happening than Fullmer.

You have a better chance of happening than Fullmer.

Nice post.

I hope you're wrong about Harbaugh, but I respect your opinion.

His kids are young tho, aren't they? Uprooting comes into play for his wife, but probably not his kids. And I'm not sure the NFL really provides better job security than CFB. If he wants a place for his family to live for the next 10+ years, it's probably Palo Alto or Ann Arbor.

Jim Harbaugh strikes me as the type of guy who will go where he wants to go, regardless of uprooting the kids.

You don't get to have that kind of ego and start worrying about your little ones missing their playmates from day care.

And really, they'll adjust. What's he supposed to do, only take jobs in the Bay Area for the next 10-15 years? He's a football coach, it's not like he's ever home to see the kids anyway, don't fool yourself.

I never said Fulmer actually has a chance, in-fact I have stated the opposite. I have however stated that I, personally would like to see him as an option for a head coach along with Kirby Smart, Mark Richt and Chris Petersen.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad