FRM710

UM FB Coach

It's Harbaugh or keep RichRod .. I don't want Brady Hoke!

Keep RichRod, roll the dice ... see who's available again this time next year.

Hey, maybe Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer are.

That said ... God, I hope Harbaugh takes the job.

I don't see any way that RR is at UM. I like him but it was a bad fit from day one, IF Harbaugh says no then move on, I don't think Harbaugh says no.

Brandon, apparently, has played this pretty well.

This is all pointless anyway. Fulmer would never be considered, unless the AD wanted to get fired.

Harbaugh is going to be in.

It's almost hilarious that this many posts have actually been wasted on Phil Fulmer in this thread!

Yep. Say no to Phat Phil!

This is all pointless anyway. Fulmer would never be considered, unless the AD wanted to get fired.

Harbaugh is going to be in.

I'd bet that to be almost 100% true. I just happen to like Fulmer and put his name out there.

1. Wait a couple weeks and call Harbaugh again with a "last chance".

2. Give Urban Meyer a call. 97.1% chance he will laugh you off the phone, but you don't know if you don't call.

3. Give Les Miles a call. He has said he won't leave LSU, but talking to a newspaper is much different than talking to a possible employer.

4. Call up Brady Hoke (San Diego State Head Coach)

5. Call up Chuck Heater (Florida Gators co-defensive coordinator)

6. Call up Bud Foster (Virginia Tech. defensive coordinator)

7. Call for Jim Harbaugh's dog (Caught 6 backyard football passes)

8. Keep Rich Rodriguez

5. Call up Chuck Heater (Florida Gators co-defensive coordinator)

Lived next door to Heater one year. He was living with 3 3rd stringers, one of whom was a QB that Bo gave his one and only down to late in a final home game his senior yr. BTW - that's the kind of thing college coaches get to do that is largely missing in the pro game.

I really hate this "Michigan Man" BS, and I think it's mostly the press that pushes it, but I wouldn't be entirely against a Bo/Carr disciple. I really don't give a crap what the coach's style is as long as he wins football games and doesn't tarnish the university's image. If Hoke can do that, then great. If an outsider can, then that's fine too.

I don't know what the press thinks a Michigan Man is, but you would think they would have been to enough football banquests and heard enough players talking about it to understand what it means. Being associated with the university does not make you a Michigan Man any more than not being associated prevents you. It's about personal responsibility, accountability, the team, etc.

Jim Harbaugh will call a meeting of his Michigan team in about two weeks. He will have written on the blackboard

THOSE WHO STAY WILL BE CHAMPIONS

It's Harbaugh or keep RichRod .. I don't want Brady Hoke!

Keep RichRod, roll the dice ... see who's available again this time next year.

Hey, maybe Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer are.

That said ... God, I hope Harbaugh takes the job.

I think Rodriguez has made it almost impossible for Brandon to retain him. The poor showings against the better conference teams ending with the bowl game performance just seem to give him no choice. The best he could do was give him another year and I don't think, after the 3 years the program has endured, you gamble again with the crown jewel of your department.

I really don't understand how Rodriguez, knowing what was on the line, could lay the eggs he did today and against Ohio State.

I don't know what the press thinks a Michigan Man is, but you would think they would have been to enough football banquests and heard enough players talking about it to understand what it means. Being associated with the university does not make you a Michigan Man any more than not being associated prevents you. It's about personal responsibility, accountability, the team, etc.

I'm pretty sure most people in the media would have you believe that Rodriguez's spread offense and southern accent excludes him from being a Michigan man.

I really don't understand how Rodriguez, knowing what was on the line, could lay the eggs he did today and against Ohio State.

Maybe UM simply isn't good enough to compete against those teams?

Maybe RR isn't that good a coach?

Those are my guesses.

Dave Brandon says a Rich Rodriguez decision probably won't come until 'the back half of the week' - AnnArbor.com

Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon plans to talk to coach Rich Rodriguez about his future soon after both are back in Ann Arbor.

"After traveling back in the next day or two, I plan to sit down with coach Rodriguez to go through the evaluation I've been talking about for months," Brandon said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press a few hours after the Gator Bowl. "I probably won't have more to say until the back half of the week."

I think Rodriguez has made it almost impossible for Brandon to retain him. The poor showings against the better conference teams ending with the bowl game performance just seem to give him no choice. The best he could do was give him another year and I don't think, after the 3 years the program has endured, you gamble again with the crown jewel of your department.

I like Rodriguez, and still think he is a good coach (heck, compare his resume to Michigan Man Brady Hoke) but he screwed himself when he hired Greg Robinson. An incomprehensible move at the time turned out to be far worse than anyone imagined. The last two games were just the culmination of two years of awful defensive coaching.

Darkhorse. He outcoached Bielema today at the Rose Bowl. I thought Wisconsin would rip through TCU and they did for awhile until TCU adjusted and Bielema did not.

gary-patterson-tcu.jpg

Patterson has done a great job at TCU.

Edited by Greenwit

There's no way in hell that Brandon is hiring someone who's been fired from his last job. The message would be "we're dumping our bozo to hire somebody else's bozo". You think the RR hiring was a unpopular with the boosters...try selling that.

I'd be leery of hiring Peterson. He's got a grand total of one year of coaching experience (early in his career) east of the Rockies....I think you need a guy with a higher profile in your back yard....

I like Rodriguez, and still think he is a good coach (heck, compare his resume to Michigan Man Brady Hoke) but he screwed himself when he hired Greg Robinson. An incomprehensible move at the time turned out to be far worse than anyone imagined. The last two games were just the culmination of two years of awful defensive coaching.

Yeah...I know they're playing a lot of freshmen, but those kids looked as clueless out there today as they did against Illinois. You had four weeks to drill and prepare on top of several weeks of game experience. The apparent lack of preparation and poor execution was stunning...

Choices outside of Harbaugh (whom I do want, he's just not someone I view as our only choice).

#1 If he gets fired from Georgia...Mark Richt

That was a name I've been thinking about too.

Maybe UM simply isn't good enough to compete against those teams?

Maybe RR isn't that good a coach?

Those are my guesses.

Well Rodriguez recruited the players so if they aren't good enough, wouldn't that be on Rodriguez head?

It will be Harbaugh. He has ultimate ambitions to be an NFL head coach, but also knows this could be his only chance to coach at his alma mater, Michigan. The next Michigan coach could be there 20 years, who knows. NFL jobs open up every year...he can always satisfy that hunger in the future.

Well Rodriguez recruited the players so if they aren't good enough, wouldn't that be on Rodriguez head?

Of course it would be. I wasn't trying to defend RR in any way.

I simply was trying to express the idea that it seems likely to me that the combination of UM players simply not being good enough paired with the coaching not being good enough --> laying an egg against a well prepared team.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

It will be Harbaugh. He has ultimate ambitions to be an NFL head coach, but also knows this could be his only chance to coach at his alma mater, Michigan. The next Michigan coach could be there 20 years, who knows. NFL jobs open up every year...he can always satisfy that hunger in the future.

If that's the case, I think he'll take the 49ers job. Why risk struggling at Michigan when you have an offer to coach for the NFL team practically in your backyard?

Edited by Sparks4Ever