FRM710

UM FB Coach

Guiding Tennessee to 9-4 every year with top-5 talent doesn't make Fulmer a good candidate for Michigan. His teams underperformed constantly, discipline problems, putrid offensive playcalling.

+1. I would rather keep Rich Rod than bring in Fulmer. He would be a disaster as head coach at Michigan. Certainly wouldnt paint a good picture for the university.

Yet I bet you'll justify Schembechler's atrocious bowl record of 5-12 and overall 2-8 Rose Bowl record. Michigan's inability to ever adjust and adapt play calling plagued them for years.

But were not talking about Bo.

Yet I bet you'll justify Schembechler's atrocious bowl record of 5-12 and overall 2-8 Rose Bowl record. Michigan's inability to ever adjust and adapt play calling plagued them for years.

WTF? How is this even relevant? Are there any other dead coaches you'd like to critique? How do you feel about Fritz Crisler and Fielding Yost?

But were not talking about Bo.

Yes we are. Everyone wants a Michigan man right? A man who played for Bo and will coach like Bo and win the Big Ten like Bo. Everyone wants the "glory days" of Michigan football back.

WTF? How is this even relevant? Are there any other dead coaches you'd like to critique? How do you feel about Fritz Crisler and Fielding Yost?

It is relevant because every is lambasting Fulmer with inaccurate statistics and dismisses him yet wouldn't do the same against a guy like Bo. Just because someone is dead doesn't mean you can't criticize.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

What does everyone think will happen?

I think Harbaugh takes the Michigan job shortly after the Orange Bowl. Two or three days later.

I think this is what will happen as well. I've been the #1 Rich Rodriguez defender (or at least top 5) for his entire tenure, but after today's laughable performance I can't see him staying. What good defensive coach would want the job knowing he'd be inheriting a complete disaster and would get fired along with Rodriguez after 1 year anyway? They basically have to make a change.

I'm just praying they don't get stuck with Hoke, if Harbaugh isn't there then the AD has really screwed up by not already having done a coaching search, and they had best actually look to get someone good. If Florida ends up with something like Will Muschamp, Charlie Weis, and Kirby Smart, while Michigan gets Brady Hoke. Well, that would certainly be a good sign that Michigan is done as a top football program for a long time to come.

edit: I take it back, Hoke isn't the worst option anymore, Phil Fulmer? Seriously?

Yes we are. Everyone wants a Michigan man right? A man who played for Bo and will coach like Bo and win the Big Ten like Bo.

Actually, you are the only one saying that, but I'm sure all Michigan fans would take a guy that can win Big Ten titles like Bo with hopefully a smattering of national titles.

Nope, I have no interest in glorifying Schembechler. It was a different time in college football (less parity) and I don't hold him in especially high regard.

Wiki says Fulmer's record at Tennessee was 152-52. Off the top of my head that looks like an average of 9-3, not 9-4, so my bad on that.

Yes we are. Everyone wants a Michigan man right? A man who played for Bo and will coach like Bo and win the Big Ten like Bo. Everyone wants the "glory days" of Michigan football back.

It is relevant because every is lambasting Fulmer with inaccurate statistics and dismisses him yet wouldn't do the same against a guy like Bo.

You make no sense dude. We just want to win. Fulmer would be the absolute worst choice. Im really shocked that anyone would even mention his name.

You make no sense dude. We just want to win. Fulmer would be the absolute worst choice. Im really shocked that anyone would even mention his name.

A guy with a .745 winning percentage coaching in the best conference in the nation, a national title to his name (another that he coached in), with a winning bowl record would be the worst choice?

I have also made other suggestions such as Chris Petersen, Kirby Smart and Mark Richt.

The last thing on earth I want is a 'Michigan man' 'Michigan man' is code word for 'a crappy coach who would never be qualified to coach Michigan, but he has ties to the program'

Brady Hoke is a 'Michigan Man' Mike Debord is a 'Michigan Man' Jim Harbaugh is 'a good coach who happened to go to Michigan'

A guy with a .745 winning percentage coaching in the best conference in the nation, a national title to his name (another that he coached in), with a winning bowl record would be the worst choice?

I have also made other suggestions such as Chris Petersen, Kirby Smart and Mark Richt.

He's old, he didn't win at the end of his tenure, he left a crap program for the next coach, he recruited so many criminals and ran such a bad program that the Fulmer Cup is named after him.

It would be like bringing back Lloyd Carr if Lloyd Carr was an undisciplined jerk.

I find a lot of this reporting is giving me a sense of cognitive dissonance. I was at the U when Harbaugh was playing and my recollection is that his relationship with Bo when he was playing was anything but a mutual admiration society. When he was on the field Harbaugh's offensive sensibility was never more than a missed play or two from getting him benched. To Harbaugh's credit, he got the job done in spite of Bo's primary call enough that Bo decided he'd live with it.

I find a lot of this reporting is giving me a sense of cognitive dissonance. I was at the U when Harbaugh was playing and my recollection is that his relationship with Bo when he was playing was anything but a mutual admiration society. When he was on the field Harbaugh's offensive sensibility was never more than a missed play or two from getting him benched. To Harbaugh's credit, he got the job done in spite of Bo's primary call enough that Bo decided he'd live with it.

It's not that I don't want Harbaugh. I just would like other options to be open for Michigan and I prefer those options be either Petersen or successful guys out of the SEC.

4–0*

10–2

8–4

11–1

10–2

11–2

13–0

9–3

8–4

11–2

8–5

10–3

10–3

5–6

9–4

10–4

5–7...

Nice trend line...

Where is the negative trend?

p1_fulmer2_si.jpg

The last thing on earth I want is a 'Michigan man' 'Michigan man' is code word for 'a crappy coach who would never be qualified to coach Michigan, but he has ties to the program'

Brady Hoke is a 'Michigan Man' Mike Debord is a 'Michigan Man' Jim Harbaugh is 'a good coach who happened to go to Michigan'

I really hate this "Michigan Man" BS, and I think it's mostly the press that pushes it, but I wouldn't be entirely against a Bo/Carr disciple. I really don't give a crap what the coach's style is as long as he wins football games and doesn't tarnish the university's image. If Hoke can do that, then great. If an outsider can, then that's fine too.

It's Harbaugh or keep RichRod .. I don't want Brady Hoke!

Keep RichRod, roll the dice ... see who's available again this time next year.

Hey, maybe Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer are.

That said ... God, I hope Harbaugh takes the job.

If you want a 'successful coach out of the SEC' pick someone young and talented, like the guy who just beat us today, hell even Les Miles would be better than Fulmer.

I think it is Harbaugh, without a doubt.

He isn't staying at Stanford so it will be UM or the NFL. If it is strictly money then the NFL wins, if it is going home to be a legacy of Bo he will be at UM. IMO, the legacy thought will win.

I really hate this "Michigan Man" BS, and I think it's mostly the press that pushes it,.

If course the great irony is that it was Bo himself that did more than anyone to create the 'Michigan Man' mythology as a coach and then most famously when he forced Frieder out before the NCAA tournament. Yet Bo himself had nary any previous tie at all to Michigan when he arrived in 1969!

In Fulmer's last 7 years, he lost at least 3 games each year. Doesn't that say enough?

In the toughest conference in the country, I don't reflect that as negativley as I would on some coaches. Fulmer stomped Lloyd Carr in the Citrus bowl one year 45-17 as well.

If you want a 'successful coach out of the SEC' pick someone young and talented, like the guy who just beat us today, hell even Les Miles would be better than Fulmer.

Kirby Smart, Mark Richt.

It's Harbaugh or keep RichRod .. I don't want Brady Hoke!

Keep RichRod, roll the dice ... see who's available again this time next year.

If Brandon keeps Rodriguez, he should be fired. Every move Brandon's made since the end of the season points to RR getting fired. If he doesn't actually fire him, it will be beyond idiotic.