FRM710

UM FB Coach

What if Harbaugh says no?

Does the new coach have to have UM ties?

Hoke

Miles

others with UM ties?

non UM related candicates??

I'd take any of those three. I suspect that if it's not Harbaugh, it will be Hoke.

What does everyone think will happen?

I think Harbaugh takes the Michigan job shortly after the Orange Bowl. Two or three days later.

What does everyone think will happen?

I think Harbaugh takes the Michigan job shortly after the Orange Bowl. Two or three days later.

For kid that grew up in a dozen places and as an adult that has lived in a half a dozen more since he retired as a player and now has small children, you would think the chance to stay somewhere you want to be for 15 yrs or more would be a very powerful draw. Weighed against that is the chance to stay in the Bay area with the 49ers for a few more yrs - but even there, it's a long way from Palo Alto to Candlestick.

To me the only clue goes back to the little mini-controversy over admission stds at Stanford vs UM a couple years ago. That a major college FB coach put himself into the middle of that debate argues that his interest in college football runs deeper than merely as a stepping stone to the NFL. Its a thin reed to hang a prediction on, but if I had to pick, I'll guess he stays in the NCAA, and that probably means coming to UM, since Stanford may be able to pay him as much, but they can't fill the stadium for him.

I'm not into speculating, but I think Harbaugh would be crazy to leave Stanford. I hope he actually turns UM down just so I know that I'm not crazy in regards to what I perceive as the important things in life... and he has them all right now.

I'm not into speculating, but I think Harbaugh would be crazy to leave Stanford. I hope he actually turns UM down just so I know that I'm not crazy in regards to what I perceive as the important things in life... and he has them all right now.

IMO Harbaugh would be crazy to stay at Stanford....He hasn't signed the extension for a reason...he plans to go somewhere else..whether its the NFL or Michigan.

The 49ers are going to make a "full court press" to get him..

Report: 49ers to pursue Harbaugh - UPI.com

I would agree with you but for the fan interest issue. It's potentially a big mark against a program when you've brought the program back from the wilderness but are still playing in front of empty seats. Does this matter to Harbaugh? We'll know soon!

Choices outside of Harbaugh (whom I do want, he's just not someone I view as our only choice).

#1 If he gets fired from Georgia...Mark Richt

#1 If Richt does keep his job...Chris Petersen

#2 Kirby Smart

#3 Phillip Fulmer

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Choices outside of Harbaugh (whom I do want, he's just not someone I view as our only choice).

#2 Kirby Smart

#3 Phillip Fulmer

Yuck.

Seriously, Fulmer?

Yuck.

Seriously, Fulmer?

Yes, I get excited about coaches who...

A) Coached in the toughest conference in the nation

B) Have a record of 98-34 in conference play

C) Have an overall winning percentage of .745%

D) Win a national title and appear in multiple

E) Have an overall winning bowl record at 8-6

F) Recruit top-tier talent like Peyton Manning

G) But he voted Michigan 4th in the nation in the coach's poll and prevented an outright national title, don't you care? Nope, if he comes here and wins games and contends for national titles, I don't care near as much.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

G) Ran a dirty program

H) Has a bad history with Michigan

I) Was fired

I would agree with you but for the fan interest issue. It's potentially a big mark against a program when you've brought the program back from the wilderness but are still playing in front of empty seats. Does this matter to Harbaugh? We'll know soon!

Additionally I once read an article stating that it was very hard to get and keep good assistants in Palo Alto because of the COL. Even for the head coach it really cuts into his income.

G) Ran a dirty program

H) Has a bad history with Michigan

I) Was fired

What violations are you specifically citing? Firing Fulmer, how has that worked out down in Rocky Top?

There was a violation there and I think striping them of two scholarships was fair. Getting fired would not be fair and he wasn't. You believe that violation warrants an automatic passover when looking for the next Michigan head coach?

Face it, everyone hates Fulmer because of what he did to us in 1997. There is no other reason why. If the guy came here, won football games as he did in the past, got to national title games, then who cares! You're telling me if you were sitting there on the couch or at the bar watching Michigan in a BCS Bowl Game or the BCS National Title game you'd be growning the entire time about 1997; not a chance I suspect.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

#2 Kirby Smart

#3 Phillip Fulmer

Somebody likes their SEC leftovers (plus Petersen). I will be extremely surprised if Michigan hires a southern guy.

G) But he voted Michigan 4th in the nation in the coach's poll and prevented an outright national title, don't you care? Nope, if he comes here and wins games and contends for national titles, I don't care near as much.

John L. Smith would be just as appropriate as Fulmer.

Somebody likes their SEC leftovers (plus Petersen). I will be extremely surprised if Michigan hires a southern guy.

I like SEC guys because THEY BEAT US and they win big time bowl games, they win bowl games period for that matter. The SEC is the best conference in the nation, if today hasn't proved that, I am not sure there is much else that will. I believe that Richt, Fulmer and Smart are all quality coaches and or assistants. These are guys who day in and day out prep or have prepped teams for the best teams in the country. I want that formula (the SEC formula) or something other than the traditional Big Ten mentality brought to Michigan.

Also, how is Kirby Smart a leftover?

John L. Smith would be just as appropriate as Fulmer.

How are they even comparable? Fulmer won a National Title and went to a second game. He has a winning percentage well above Smith's and recruited far superior talent to players Smith ever brought in at Louisville or Michigan State.

And for the record, Mark Richt did have a bad year a Georgia this season, since I'm sure someone will bring that up.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I like SEC guys because THEY BEAT US and they win big time bowl games, they win bowl games period for that matter. The SEC is the best conference in the nation, if today hasn't proved that, I am not sure there is much else that will. I believe that Richt, Fulmer and Smart are all quality coaches and or assistants. These are guys who day in and day out prep or have prepped teams for the best teams in the country. I want that formula or something other than the traditional Big Ten mentality brought to Michigan.

Hiring a SEC guy is not going to allow Michigan to lower their academic standards and adopt shaddy oversigning practices that have been adopted by most of the top SEC schools. Nor will hiring a SEC guy magically move Michigan to the more fertile recruiting grounds of the south.

Basically, if Michigan wants a guy who is culturally out of touch and without strong connections to Michigan's main recruiting territories, then they should hire a SEC guy.

Hiring a SEC guy is not going to allow Michigan to lower their academic standards and adopt shaddy oversigning practices that have been adopted by most of the top SEC schools. Nor will hiring a SEC guy magically move Michigan to the more fertile recruiting grounds of the south.

Basically, if Michigan wants a guy who is culturally out of touch and without strong connections to Michigan's main recruiting territories, then they should hire a SEC guy.

And then have a terrible bowl record and Rose Bowl record right?

Guiding Tennessee to 9-4 every year with top-5 talent doesn't make Fulmer a good candidate for Michigan. His teams underperformed constantly, discipline problems, putrid offensive playcalling.

Guiding Tennessee to 9-4 every year with top-5 talent doesn't make Fulmer a good candidate for Michigan. His teams underperformed constantly, discipline problems, putrid offensive playcalling.

Yet I bet you'll justify Schembechler's atrocious bowl record of 5-12 and overall 2-8 Rose Bowl record. Michigan's inability to ever adjust and adapt play calling plagued them for years.

Phillip Fulmer's record at Tennessee

4–0*

10–2

8–4

11–1

10–2

11–2

13–0

9–3

8–4

11–2

8–5

10–3

10–3

5–6

9–4

10–4

5–7

11 of 17 years he won 9 or more games, how is that every year? One of those years was not a full season as well. He had a .745 winning percentage overall at Rocky Top.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad