wilburj

Chris Capuano

I think Penny is the most interesting choice. He probably hasn't signed yet because of money. His health and effectiveness has been down for two years so he'll eventually have to accept a 5th starter's salary with incentives. Of course the way Washington's been throwing money around lately he has no incentive to sign right away.

What does Coke excelling mean in terms of innings and ERA?

EDIT - Like, 160 IP, 4.25 ERA? That wouldn't shock me. 200 IP, 3.75 ERA? That would.

I would be surprised if Coke was able to punch up 160 innings. 100 - 120 would be my peak expectation.

Edited by sabretooth

Verlander, Scherzer, and (likely) Porcello are cemented into the rotation. The BP will for sure include Valverde, Perry, Benoit. Coke will factor in somewhere. Galarraga is probably the 8th P to include as of now, and Thomas probably is the slop guy, and the 9th arm. So we're probably looking at 3 arms to fill, probably one of whom you would like to be a swing guy or at least someone that can toss several innings at a time.

Some of the arms designated for those 3 slots are going to need to have minor league options to accomodate the normal ebb and flow of transactions during the regular season. Of the Ps listed above, I think only Porcello and Perry have those options available (please correct me if that is not the case). Going after several vets makes sense from the idea of being able to choose among your options, but I'm not sure you'd realistically bring in more than 1 or 2 on a major league contract. Otherwise you may run into a roster crunch by having too many major league contracts that you can't send to the minors.

So I think while guys like Capuano, Bonderman, Penny look attractive as FA targets right now, I think the bigger focus may be on Ps that have minor options available. A trade along the lines of a Galarraga trade.

Or I could just be completely way off base on all of this.

Zumaya and Schlereth most likely take the 10th and 11th spots. There are a few pitchers in the mix for the final spot who's names I can't remember. I'm not sure who has options left but the Tigers should be able to shuffle players around if necessary. Even if they have to send a bench player down and bring up a spot starter for a game.

Our rotation could be really, really good...or they could suck. Lots of question marks.

I think Verlander is going to really blossom this year. And since he's been great already, that's scary.

Beyond that, though, there are lots of questions. Scherzer's got the stuff, but there have always been issues with his health. I expect him to continue to take positive steps, but it's not a lock by any stretch.

Same with Porcello. I think he has the smarts to adjust to his tough sophomore season, and I think his sinker has enough natural movement to ensure at least a measure of success, as long as he can find the strike zone. But, again, this isn't a lock.

Beyond the top three, there are lots of question marks. I like Coke and think he can be a pretty good starter, but it remains to be seen. And I don't know who will be the 5th guy.

As I said, it could go either way. We could be really good, really bad, or mediocre. How's that for taking a stand??? :happy:

Oops, wrong thread. Shoulda been in the minor....er, Miner thread

Thread violations are major offenses! Nyuck, nyuck.

(Forgive me. I've been watching the Three Stooges marathon all day with my son.)

We will surely add at least one of these SPs, even if it's just Bonderman in a long relief/6th starter role. I'm sure Penny, Capuano,Francis and others will all be looked at. I'm still pushing Jarrod Washburn myself. A veteran lefty with something to prove who you know can eat innings. Wants to be in the midwest too. Milwaukee is probably done adding SPs adn they were supposedly his preferred destination.Give him a non guaranteed deal that guarantees him 3 mil or something if he beats out Galarraga for a rotation spot

Where have you seen anything that any teams have interest in Washburn? I've been looking a lot, can't seem to find it.

After this: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jarrod_washburn/

Edited by alwaysthrowheat

I think that as long as Coke can handle pitching 160 innings, he'll be more effective than Galarraga. He's got better stuff and better command and he isn't a ****ing crybaby like Galarraga is.

I've got hate in my heart, and I'm letting it out.

You don't have 1/2 the hate for him that my Dad does.....lol....

Zumaya and Schlereth most likely take the 10th and 11th spots. There are a few pitchers in the mix for the final spot who's names I can't remember. I'm not sure who has options left but the Tigers should be able to shuffle players around if necessary. Even if they have to send a bench player down and bring up a spot starter for a game.

I guess I'm not sure how much Zumaya can be counted upon as far as health is concerned. If he's counted upon for some high leverage innings and then gets hurt for an extended period, your shuffling a bunch of bullpen arms to cover for him. I suppose the acquisition of Benoit and (hopefully) a more seasoned Perry can help with sharing some of that load from the beginning.

I think Penny is the most interesting choice. He probably hasn't signed yet because of money. His health and effectiveness has been down for two years so he'll eventually have to accept a 5th starter's salary with incentives. Of course the way Washington's been throwing money around lately he has no incentive to sign right away.

I think we'll wait for the Penny domino to drop before we do anything else. He's always hurt, but he's a high end talent, supposedly 100% recovered and supposedly was throwing like a #2 caliber starter before the injury last year.

Where have you seen anything that any teams have interest in Washburn? I've been looking a lot, can't seem to find it.

After this: Jarrod Washburn Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

ESPN Insider has mentioned him a few times when talking about under the radar guys. Them and there was an article posted here from somewhere about guys looking to make a comeback. Supposedly Washburn wants to play in Milwaukee, which I think is his hometown or close to it.

ESPN Insider has mentioned him a few times when talking about under the radar guys. Them and there was an article posted here from somewhere about guys looking to make a comeback. Supposedly Washburn wants to play in Milwaukee, which I think is his hometown or close to it.

Sorry to belabor the point, but wanting to make a comeback and having teams interested in your services are two entirely different things. In this day and age, pretty much everything is reported. Right now, it doesn't seem like he's garnered any interest from anybody. I can't even find if he's worked out for anybody yet. Until that happens, he's less of a sure bet than guys that have been contacted by multiple teams.

Capuano signed with the Mets. Bummer.

It's still 6 weeks until spring training but Dombrowski is starting to frustrate me with the whole not-signing-a-starting-pitcher thing.

Not only Capuano, but Buchholz too. Extremely disappointing. My two top choices for relatively cheap, but quality innings.

Not only Capuano, but Buchholz too. Extremely disappointing.

No doubt. I cringed when I read that the Mets signed both of these guys (for very reasonable contracts).

Capuano signed with the Mets. Bummer.

It's still 6 weeks until spring training but Dombrowski is starting to frustrate me with the whole not-signing-a-starting-pitcher thing.

How do we know it's his decision?

How do we know it's his decision?

it's his Job, his decisions.

Unless of course old man Illitch is interfering, yet I can't imagine Illitch having anything to do with Dombrowskis decisions unless he's pursuing a Carl Pavano caliber player, and contract.

I'm sure DD wouldn't need anyone elses opinion if he's trying to sign someone like Capuano or Buccholz.

then again, maybe his fish just aint biting.

Either way I agree and am extremely disappointed in this offseason...with all the hype to get better, all the money off the books...having only signed Martinez, and Benoit and having made no significant trades...yeah, thus far a huge letdown. I mean why bother with Benoit and Martinez if only to drop dead in January and claim they're content with Galarraga, Coke and Raburn....talk about a half assed offseason! Booo! I can only hope there's more activity in the coming weeks.

Sorry to belabor the point, but wanting to make a comeback and having teams interested in your services are two entirely different things. In this day and age, pretty much everything is reported. Right now, it doesn't seem like he's garnered any interest from anybody. I can't even find if he's worked out for anybody yet. Until that happens, he's less of a sure bet than guys that have been contacted by multiple teams.

I don't disagree

You guys are jumping the gun on DD. I doubt he doesn't sign any SP. This is going to be a Jan/Feb signing though, always was going to be. He's going to let the scrap heap sort itself out. Some guys want to go to certain places, leagues, weather etc. Some are out of price range, some he won't believe in

it's his Job, his decisions.

Unless of course old man Illitch is interfering, yet I can't imagine Illitch having anything to do with Dombrowskis decisions unless he's pursuing a Carl Pavano caliber player, and contract.

I'm sure DD wouldn't need anyone elses opinion if he's trying to sign someone like Capuano or Buccholz.

then again, maybe his fish just aint biting.

Either way I agree and am extremely disappointed in this offseason...with all the hype to get better, all the money off the books...having only signed Martinez, and Benoit and having made no significant trades...yeah, thus far a huge letdown. I mean why bother with Benoit and Martinez if only to drop dead in January and claim they're content with Galarraga, Coke and Raburn....talk about a half assed offseason! Booo! I can only hope there's more activity in the coming weeks.

If you really expected Maggs brought back plus a big money SP, plus a big money hitter, plus a big money bullpen guy, I don't know what to tell you. They were always going to try Coke out, but clearly we need depth. They'll bring in someone like Penny to fight for AG's spot, but a Pavano type, let alone Lee or something, was never on the table and never shoudl have been. Pavano will most likely regress anyways, his peripherals suck.

This team with a healthy Maggs, a top caliber hitter like VMart added and a veteran set up man added would have likely won the Central last year.

I hate the idea of replacing Raburn. Let the guy hit