wilburj

Chris Capuano

Sure. He pitched pretty well last season, and he has somewhat of a history of success.

I'd rather have Jeff Francis though. Maybe if I keep name-dropping Jeff Francis as often as possible the Tigers will sign him.

I guess I'm most concerned with starting pitching now. As I read over last years stats I see that the Tigers were slightly better than average last year in defense. They may have made a small step back this off season on defense. They were average offensively and may have taken some steps forward in that front.

The top of the rotation is solid. But, by relying on Coke and rookies perhaps as part of the back of the rotation I don't know if they'll have enough innings of good pitching left should they contend in August or September.

You can play this two ways. I hope they get someone now. Or, you could see where you are at in early July and pick up anyone to eat innings if you are out of it or trade for a good pitcher if you are in it.

The Tigers are so thin at SP and there is still a number of somewhat appealing scrap heap guys that it really makes sense to bring one or two of them on as depth, competition and possible upgrades. Capuano and Francis would both be well worth a shot. There still are more of them out there (Penny, Chris Young, etc), but the supply is shrinking as guys sign on elsewhere (Webb, McCarthy, Harden, etc).

If the Tigers can afford Capuano, they'd be crazy not to try to sign him. Best case, he locks down a spot in the rotation (might even be our 3rd best SP). Worst case, he's a decent LHP for the bullpen and a better long man than Thomas. He really was good the 2nd half of last year, after missing several seasons.

Francis... okay, but a distant second to Capuano. To me, he's a guy who's never really lived up to expectations and is continuing to be judged based on being a former highly regarded prospect. If healthy, he's better than Galarraga, but health concerns and sub-par track record would limit the offer to a minor league deal in my opinion. And I think some team will probably offer a major league deal.

I guess I'm most concerned with starting pitching now. As I read over last years stats I see that the Tigers were slightly better than average last year in defense. They may have made a small step back this off season on defense. They were average offensively and may have taken some steps forward in that front.

That's for sure. The defense is a major concern in my mind. Leyland's going to have to mix in enough of Santiago and Wells to make up for the poor middle IF and corner OF defense.

The top of the rotation is solid. But, by relying on Coke and rookies perhaps as part of the back of the rotation I don't know if they'll have enough innings of good pitching left should they contend in August or September.

I agree here too. I think Coke/GaGa will run out of gas in the second half. I believe that they need to find another starting pitcher and move Coke back to the bullpen if they hope to compete.

The Tigers are so thin at SP and there is still a number of somewhat appealing scrap heap guys that it really makes sense to bring one or two of them on as depth, competition and possible upgrades. Capuano and Francis would both be well worth a shot. There still are more of them out there (Penny, Chris Young, etc), but the supply is shrinking as guys sign on elsewhere (Webb, McCarthy, Harden, etc).

I just really hope we do something here. I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't upgrade and find some depth to stash at Toledo.

I just really hope we do something here. I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't upgrade and find some depth to stash at Toledo.

Actually, the Tigers have to add to their starting pitching, from somewhere. It's very rare to impossible to make it through an entire season with 5 starting pitchers. Doubleheaders, ineffectiveness and injuries are all factors that will call for several (at least) starts from pitchers other than the 5 starters they have now. Oliver may be a choice for filling in several starts, but the more starting pitchers, the better. As long as they're effective. No sense in bringing somebody up from Toledo and have them only give us 3 innings. That would put quite a burden on the BP.

I agree here too. I think Coke/GaGa will run out of gas in the second half. I believe that they need to find another starting pitcher and move Coke back to the bullpen if they hope to compete.

I think that as long as Coke can handle pitching 160 innings, he'll be more effective than Galarraga. He's got better stuff and better command and he isn't a ****ing crybaby like Galarraga is.

I've got hate in my heart, and I'm letting it out.

I'd rather have Capuano than Francis. Capuano is a lot surer bet to put in 30 starts than Francis.

I don't know about that. Also, I have irrational hetero love for Jeff Francis, and I would appreciate it if you would not get in the way of that.

Right now I see that the Tigers need just a little more depth in the rotation options when they go into spring training. I hope that Coke and Gallaraga can do the job, but they still need someone to step in when someone is not able to start, whether through injury or ineffectiveness.

If Phil Coke needs to be sent back to the 'pen because the 'experiment' isn't working, then I would like to see Ryan Perry be given a chance - he is a young hard thrower, and the bullpen will still have some really good depth: Benoit, Valverde, Coke, Zumaya, Scherleth and Thomas.

But right now they need another pitcher who can start on the roster.

I don't think Ryan Perry is going to see time in a big league rotation. His command isn't consistent enough. Even when he shows control (i.e., the ability to throw strikes), he doesn't really show command (i.e., the ability to throw quality strikes consistently). In the pen, he can fall back on his great stuff. In the rotation, he'd have to pace himself more. He has one plus pitch, his fastball (really a cut fastball). His slider flashes plus but is really inconsistent. His changeup flashes above average but he rarely has occasion to throw it and it's inconsistent.

With Coke, he's at least started in a professional setting and has three quality pitches and decent command of all of them. Perry is vaguely similar, I guess, except much wilder (not just talking about walks) and without consistency of his pitches at all.

I like Ryan Perry and think he can overcome these problems in the pen. I think putting him in the rotation is setting him up to fail. I wouldn't be totally against it if he threw 65 innings next year with a much improved slider and a much improved ability to hit the catcher's mitt. But I doubt that will happen.

If Phil Coke needs to be sent back to the 'pen because the 'experiment' isn't working, then I would like to see Ryan Perry be given a chance - he is a young hard thrower, and the bullpen will still have some really good depth: Benoit, Valverde, Coke, Zumaya, Scherleth and Thomas.

If it comes to that they've got some serious problems.

also Thomas =/= really good anything. serviceable, ok sure.

If it comes to that they've got some serious problems.

also Thomas =/= really good anything. serviceable, ok sure.

What?!!

Brad Thomas is one of the five best Australian pitchers in MLB.

Well, among lefties anyway.

What?!!

Brad Thomas is one of the five best Australian pitchers in MLB.

Well, among lefties anyway.

How many Australian lefties are there? Hmm, a brief Wikisearch says not very many.

Anyway. There's nothing wrong with being serviceable, imo. I just don't think he's that good.

However, if Second Half Brad Thomas shows up for 2011, that would be nice.

I think Coke is going to be excellent as a starter. He's always had good stuff and he's confident in his stamina (which it seems like he is), then I hope and expect him to not only be serviceable, but to EXCEL.

First bold prediction of 2011, even though it's MST time here meaning 11:11PM.

What does Coke excelling mean in terms of innings and ERA?

EDIT - Like, 160 IP, 4.25 ERA? That wouldn't shock me. 200 IP, 3.75 ERA? That would.

Coke has pitched 150 innings once in his pro career. His next highest amount of innings pitched? 110. Galarraga does not instill much confidence either. Unless he gets lucky with a low BABIP, he's a 5+ ERA pitcher every year. Lets at least bring in some guys to compete for the 4th and 5th starter roles. Capuano, Penny, Bonderman, whoever. The bullpen looks so much better with Coke as the main lefty.

We will surely add at least one of these SPs, even if it's just Bonderman in a long relief/6th starter role. I'm sure Penny, Capuano,Francis and others will all be looked at. I'm still pushing Jarrod Washburn myself. A veteran lefty with something to prove who you know can eat innings. Wants to be in the midwest too. Milwaukee is probably done adding SPs adn they were supposedly his preferred destination.Give him a non guaranteed deal that guarantees him 3 mil or something if he beats out Galarraga for a rotation spot

Verlander, Scherzer, and (likely) Porcello are cemented into the rotation. The BP will for sure include Valverde, Perry, Benoit. Coke will factor in somewhere. Galarraga is probably the 8th P to include as of now, and Thomas probably is the slop guy, and the 9th arm. So we're probably looking at 3 arms to fill, probably one of whom you would like to be a swing guy or at least someone that can toss several innings at a time.

Some of the arms designated for those 3 slots are going to need to have minor league options to accomodate the normal ebb and flow of transactions during the regular season. Of the Ps listed above, I think only Porcello and Perry have those options available (please correct me if that is not the case). Going after several vets makes sense from the idea of being able to choose among your options, but I'm not sure you'd realistically bring in more than 1 or 2 on a major league contract. Otherwise you may run into a roster crunch by having too many major league contracts that you can't send to the minors.

So I think while guys like Capuano, Bonderman, Penny look attractive as FA targets right now, I think the bigger focus may be on Ps that have minor options available. A trade along the lines of a Galarraga trade.

Or I could just be completely way off base on all of this.

Actually, the Tigers have to add to their starting pitching, from somewhere. It's very rare to impossible to make it through an entire season with 5 starting pitchers. Doubleheaders, ineffectiveness and injuries are all factors that will call for several (at least) starts from pitchers other than the 5 starters they have now. Oliver may be a choice for filling in several starts, but the more starting pitchers, the better. As long as they're effective. No sense in bringing somebody up from Toledo and have them only give us 3 innings. That would put quite a burden on the BP.

Correct. Realistically, teams just dont use five starters for an entire season. The Tigers had 11 different pitchers start a game last season. What are our options after Oliver? We're pretty thin. Need to stockpile a few guys that can help. Capuano, Penny, Francis, whomever. I'd take em all.

I would like it if AG were our 7th or 8th option instead of our 5th.