TheCouga

PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'A government takeover of health care'

it is a little absurd for chasfh to think that a long time poster like melody with no history of making things up all the sudden decided to make something up. about yoga, of all things.

i am glad that he is hedging things a but, but talk about jumping to conclusions.

Well, she did say that the free yoga classes in Columbus was not the story she was referring to, and she insisted that she saw a separate story in CNN or NPR or something similar that the government was paying for people's yoga with our tax dollars. So, I guess that's the one I'm waiting on.

exactly - i wouldn't be shocked if some how yoga was being funded - but history says its more likely a steaming pile of BS

Exaggerating the benefits of the social safety net as a way of ginning up enough outrage to undermine it has been going on at least since the Reagan era. Not that I think that was Melody's intent-- more likely it was confirmation bias based on the headline.

I'm still open to the fact that our federal government, one of the states, or a municipality is pumping cash into yoga for the unemployed...Or that France or Sweden has invaded and taken over NYC. I'd love to see the evidence.

I can think of any number of worse ways to spend our tax dollars than on yoga for the unemployed.

I can think of any number of worse ways to spend our tax dollars than on yoga for the unemployed.

Yeah, it would be worth every penny of government yoga expenditures just to watch Bill O'Reilly's head explode like that scene in "Scanners" upon hearing news of the funding.

Man, the right wing echo chamber would be soooo on this if it were really happening. James O'Keefe would be all over Breitbart TV trying to get hot yoga instructors to screw him while on the government clock.

I don't doubt the existence of government-funded yoga classes any more than I'd doubt the existence of any government funded community fitness programs. But as an enumerated benefit that you get along with your $263.45 check each week?

but billo would be right in there - head exploding and all - just to hang out with debbie - they could eat falafels

Great, you had to bring up Bill O and falafel. Now I'll have to "Om" extra loudly just to get the image out of my head when I meditate in a few minutes. Luckily I have some government-issued soy latte tickets to cash in at Starbucks, which will also help to take my mind off "falafel".

Skip "om". Just repeat "andrea mackris" - that makes all fox news employees disappear - even ones that only exist in your head.

npr carried the same ap story on their web page - btw

Not the same story. This was a piece that followed a few unemployed individuals and talked about how they spent their days, what services they were receiving and from whom, etc.

Even tried searching the Star-Telegram site. My husband remembers me reading part to him this morning, but mostly remembers the bawdy jokes he was making in response about better ways to relieve stress that don't involve a class or hiring an instructor.

Interesting googling, though. I wasn't aware that the NIH funded so much in the way of informational services and groups relating to various alternative medicine. Can't say I totally disapprove of all studies in this connection, but am concerned that it appears that these aren't necessarily connected with a research university or reputable academic group.

I'd love to know which state this is so I can move there and receive yoga benefits. I'm doing well in Illinois now that $1.00 in food stamps buys $1.50 worth of vegan, cruelty-free food at Whole Foods, so that might be tough to give up.

Melody, I apologize for making the inference I did in regard to your post from earlier. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the post, it was uncool of me to do that.

Speaking of taxes: Does anyone think that maybe one of the reasons that a tax/spend compromise that should have been so odious to both sides - failure to increase marginal rates and huge deficit spending - was so easy for the Prez and the Repubs to reach last week may have been because they both had an interest in a tax/spend situation so bad it makes a tax reform push possible next term?

The Democrats could have extended the "middle class tax cuts" long ago, which would have made it much much more difficult for the GOP to hold the Senate hostage to get the rich their due. With that in mind, I don't think the Dems extending the cuts was odious to them at all. They gladly take the campaign contributions of the rich.

The Dems let it all go to the end and capitulated because they wanted cover for taking a position they claimed to be against -- that is my theory for at least some of them. I don't believe every Democrat in elected office holds that view but enough do for it to play out as it did.

The Republicans are against unemployment benefits as a way to obstruct Obama, imo. They'll do the right thing begrudgingly if they get another benefit out of it and that's what occurred.

Tax reform though.. what have we seen to suggest that? All signs point to "entitlement" cuts, not tax reform.

All signs point to "entitlement" cuts, not tax reform.

but the way the gov divides right now, I don't think you can get a consensus for one without giving up something on the other. Since the election, folks are acting like the Repubs have some kind of strangle hold on the gov. They have one house. Once the fiscal arguments start up for real in the next congress, both sides' generic approval ratings will fall back to near zero and any residual congressional fear based the last election result will be forgotten.

I also disagree a little with your premise SP -- this was much more Obama's deal alone than the Democratic party's. Beyond the unemployment extension, which I think they could/would have gotten on an up or down early in Jan if they had had to, I don't think there is much in it reflective of Democratic party economic thinking. Yes there is a lot of fiscal stimulus, but it is almost all Repub style stimulus (tax side), despite the Repubs professed opposition to the proposition of any more stimulus.

Oh. That makes it okay then for the government to take what it did not earn and distribute is to someone else who didn't earn it, either.

Like the heirs?

Like the heirs?

Like all heirs to fortunes sit around idly all day long. Many are also engaged in the business that created all that wealth. This ain't 18th century France.

Like all heirs to fortunes sit around idly all day long. Many are also engaged in the business that created all that wealth. This ain't 18th century France.

Sure it is.

.... This ain't 18th century France.

yeah, it's worse, we only get to vote them out - the guillotine would be much more appropriate for a lot of them.

lmao @ noone defending the veracity of the phrase they used REPEATEDLY.

ends justify means

pfife is so correct here.

silence speaks loudly.

The problem with the inheiritence tax is the idea that property/wealth suddenly belongs to the government upon death of the owner so that it can distribute as it sees fit. That should be blatantly obvious to everybody to be an immoral concept.

"Well, he's not here, let's take it now, it's ours, the relatives can get a slice of it, but we need most of it now."

Seriously, think about it for just a minute. The government is confiscating property upon death and redistributing it.

Also, about the Yoga thing..... I read a story about it and the deal was the yoga place was offering it up to unemployed. Not sure if that was mentioned here or not.

One other thing, the WSJ had an editorial on this "Lie of the year" today. The point was that this website that pretends to be non partisan basically makes up their own facts then considers something that deviates from that to be not factual. Like if I said "Janet Reno is a hot babe, therefore anybody who says she's not a hot babe is a liar."

One other thing, the WSJ had an editorial on this "Lie of the year" today. The point was that this website that pretends to be non partisan basically makes up their own facts then considers something that deviates from that to be not factual. Like if I said "Janet Reno is a hot babe, therefore anybody who says she's not a hot babe is a liar."

I mentioned this about a week ago. They are owned by the St. Pete Times whose parent is the NYT.

When i said "makes up their own facts" I meant to say that they take subjective things and states them as facts. "government takeover" can mean many things and they're using one definition of that.

It'd be like Tigers saying they will take the best pitcher in the 2011 draft, then you calling it a lie when they take someone you don't consider the best pitcher.

except it's really quite demonstrably factual that the government didn't take over health care. I've been demonstrating that fact on these pages for over a year.