JonBenke

2010 Gator Bowl: #21 Mississippi State @ Michigan

That's actually a good question. If I had to guess, it would be that this whole "team x travels so much better/has larger stadium/has a better google image of their stadium than team y so they deserve a better bowl" is a stale argument. Unless you are a small school with few alumni (nw), it's just a non factor. Yet I heard it from Iowa fans the past few years, and Michigan fans arguing for Ohio state ironically enough, this year.

Everyone sells fewer tickets for crappier bowl games, Regardless of who they are. The reverse is true as well.

But if your argument was that Ohio state is a bigger name, quite valid. But then I don't know why you would quote ATtendance figures or google search for pictures of stadiums.

I'm not referring to you shelton.

I would argue that novelty is a much greater predictor of attendance figures. You can see that in osu's non rose bowl games, as well as the fact that msu sent 20000+ to the champs sports bowl four years ago. So when Michigan fans said the bcs wouldn't take msu bc were only 17 in national attendance figures, I thought it was ridiculous. Michigan sends 113k to games every week, yet can't reach 5 figures for their first bowl game in three years.

I guess that's my point.

I dont think anyone said MSU wouldnt sell their allotment. I know Sparty fans claimed one of reasons they should go over OSU was OSU did not sell out their last bowl game and people responded to that. Dont see what Michigan's tickets sold has to do with anything

Edited by Johnny Mac

I think he is trying to poke at me. Which is fine. My original argument to him is that Ohio State is a bigger more well known brand. When they started using Ohio States attendance at previous bowl games I started poking fun at how they can't even fill their own stadium which seats 75,000 people. If Michigan was going to the Orange Bowl and only sold 7,000 tickets that might surprise me, but not the Gator Bowl.

Bottom line is I just don't get how any logical person could argue MSU is a better bowl game draw than OSU? Like I said, ticket sales don't matter all that much to a bowl since they already made the money for those tickets from the University. OSU is just a bigger brand, more attractive team for a bowl to invite.

Bottom line is I just don't get how any logical person could argue MSU is a better bowl game draw than OSU? Like I said, ticket sales don't matter all that much to a bowl since they already made the money for those tickets from the University. OSU is just a bigger brand, more attractive team for a bowl to invite.

First of all, I would submit that your point about the relevancy of ticket sales is actually a tad misguided...As to the question of "how any logical person could...draw than OSU"...I wonder if it would have anything to do with the fact that OSU did NOT get through either of its last two non-Rose Bowl BCS allotments...Combined with the fact that MSU, after missing post-season action since 2004, comfortsbly sold its allotment for the Champs Sports Bowl in 2007, and then did it again in 2008 at the same venue (that time for the same bowl game they're in presently). As such, it's believed that the novelty (for MSU fans) of making its first BCS Bowl, would have been a noticable driving force behind interest and expectation...

All of that said, your last sentence is absolutely correct.

This game will be even more exciting for me, as I was accepted to Michigan a couple of days ago. It'll be fun knowing I'm watching my fellow Wolverines represent my future school!

Go Blue!

This game will be even more exciting for me, as I was accepted to Michigan a couple of days ago. It'll be fun knowing I'm watching my fellow Wolverines represent my future school!

Go Blue!

Congratulations to you, a future fellow alum :happy:

This isn't a Michigan State thread.

Oh, and of course you're going to sell out when you get somewhere once every 20 years.

This isn't a Michigan State thread.

Oh, and of course you're going to sell out when you get somewhere once every 20 years.

Then why are you contributing to the extra-topical subject matter??? Not that you're interested but this will officially be the 3rd time in the last 4 years that we've sold our allotment to this venue.

Then why are you contributing to the extra-topical subject matter??? Not that you're interested but this will officially be the 3rd time in the last 4 years that we've sold our allotment to this venue.

We're not interested. You already have a game thread for your game, you're welcome to use it anytime you'd like, it's not as if it's very crowded...:cheeky:

Not that you're interested...

You're right.

Like Buddha said, you have your own game thread ... go find it, and find someone who cares.

that's good news.

at this point, I'd also take Troy W. back as well, unhealthy ankle and all. He's bound to be better than what we're gonna roll out there.

This has to be RichRod's last game. If they don't pick up Harbaugh now, there's no going back. Michigan would lose their last bit of integrity. And I don't care if they win handily. RichRod has to go.

Yep. This is the final straw for me. I was 51/49 in favor of keeping him, bit enough is enough. I don't care if we dint get harbaugh.

Yep. This is the final straw for me. I was 51/49 in favor of keeping him, bit enough is enough. I don't care if we dint get harbaugh.

They have to get Harbaugh, though. I can't imagine another scenario working well for UM. Harbaugh is going to need time, too. This is a complete mess he's taking over. They are in worse shape than the Lions were when Schwartz/Mayhew took over, imo.

Who gives a crap if Forcier plays?

He's the first one out the door next year whether richrod stays or not.

Who gives a crap if Forcier plays?

He's the first one out the door next year whether richrod stays or not.

I agree. He's not that good, anyways. They need a good housecleaning.

Why is this the last straw for people .. I'm confused.

Me too? Which part is the last straw?

If it's Forcier it's due to him failing classes, and he himself admits he sucks at school.