JonBenke

2010 Gator Bowl: #21 Mississippi State @ Michigan

You can hang your hat on our big ten championship trophy too.

This is funny. State fans still trash talking when they lose a Bowl game so badly the other team brings its scrubs in with 5 min left in the third. State may have won a big ten trophy but thats only because they didnt have to play Ohio State. They have been proven the frauds most college football fans always believed they were.

Rich Rod and that Canadian woman both gone in the same day. Life is good again.

101-21 Maybe we should have sent Grand Valley State and Northwood to these bowls instead of UM/MSU. Couldnt have been any worse.

Rich Rod and that Canadian woman both gone in the same day. Life is good again.

What Canadian woman?

Well, even I can't defend this one, you have a month to get ready and the defense comes out and plays possibly it's worst game of the season, which is really saying something for this defense. Come on down, Jim.

edit: Don't know how you can say the team didn't play hard, it sure looked like they did to me, they just aren't any good defensively, and it's clear Greg Robinson has 0 coaching ability on top of it.

Don't know how you can say the team didn't play hard, it sure looked like they did to me, they just aren't any good defensively, and it's clear Greg Robinson has 0 coaching ability on top of it.

I agree that the team seemed to be playing hard. They were just not prepared at all for this game.

Maybe they were playing hard, it is hard to judge sometimes. But, considering that RR was highly likely to be fired anyway regardless of the outcome of the game and he was rumored to already be talking to other schools, I can't imagine that the staff tried to prepare the team as well as they could. They were essentially hung out to dry by Brandon and what real motivation would they then have to prepare the team for the game? They would still have their pride and competitiveness, but it is also human nature to give less than one's best effort in those type of hopeless situations. I'd be curious to see what team's records in bowl games are when there is a coaching transition and the head coach is in limbo and also looking for other jobs. I can't imagine that the results are too good. It was pretty much a waste of 15 practices for the players as I doubt their development improved as much as it could have. I hope the "process" was worth it and we land Harbaugh. In an ideal world, I just would have wished that we could have made the transition before the bowl game even started.

Maybe they were playing hard, it is hard to judge sometimes. But, considering that RR was highly likely to be fired anyway regardless of the outcome of the game and he was rumored to already be talking to other schools, I can't imagine that the staff tried to prepare the team as well as they could. They were essentially hung out to dry by Brandon and what real motivation would they then have to prepare the team for the game? They would still have their pride and competitiveness, but it is also human nature to give less than one's best effort in those type of hopeless situations. I'd be curious to see what team's records in bowl games are when there is a coaching transition and the head coach is in limbo and also looking for other jobs. I can't imagine that the results are too good. It was pretty much a waste of 15 practices for the players as I doubt their development improved as much as it could have. I hope the "process" was worth it and we land Harbaugh. In an ideal world, I just would have wished that we could have made the transition before the bowl game even started.

Now that you brought it up, West Virginia won their bowl game when Rodriguez left for Michigan and Michigan won their bowl game when they knew Carr was going to be leaving, albeit on different terms than Rodriguez.

Just got back to my hotel from the game. I thought the team was prepared and played hard, we just didn't make any adjustments and didn't have the talent to match MSU.

How sad this is. We don't have the talent to match Mississippi State and a coaching staff that can't outmatch a more competitive team. How there could be any RichRod defenders amazes me.

Wow. Just wow. After today, there isn't anyone else who I wouldn't want coaching this team rather than RR. That includes Bingo the clown or even just Cookie. If RR couldn't get this team up for a good performance with his job on the line, you can't expect him to get it done with the security of another season.

Will be a long week of speculating about when the shoe drops (Tues?) and waiting for Harbaugh to decide...

Now that you brought it up, West Virginia won their bowl game when Rodriguez left for Michigan and Michigan won their bowl game when they knew Carr was going to be leaving, albeit on different terms than Rodriguez.

Those were entirely different situations. That game was essentially Bill Stewart's job interview for WVU so there was a lot of incentive in that game for him. And, Carr was retiring on his own terms and his players were trying to send him out a winner. Again, there was a lot of incentive for Carr in that game and like Stewart, it would have served him well to pour everything he could into the preparation for that game.

Let's say your boss tells you that you will be fired next month regardless how you perform at work from here on out, but the company still wants you to complete one last important project. Lets also assume that you already have an established track record in your line of work and are in talks with other employers about landing a new job b/c you want to ensure that you have something lined up. Lets also assume that you didn't want to be fired and you felt like the company is giving you a raw deal by giving you a pink slip already. In knowing all of this, how well do you think you will do on that last important project the company wants you to complete? Even if it is not intentional, it is probably likely that your work performance will suffer.

Edited by Scottwood

I'm still hearing those damn cowbells.

+1

That's just lazy for fans to have to use cowbells. Went to the parade on Friday and couldn't believe that their band actually had a cowbell section.

The total lack of defensive preparation shows how little coaching has been done. They have over a month to get ready and this is the "effort" they give? Pathetic. Rodriguez needs to go.

The defense?

What about the offense? As soon as Miss St. adjusted to contain Shoelace, Michigan did almost nothing. Where is this incredible offesne we keep hearing about? Oh, they're busy scoring against Illinois and Bowling Green.

This is my thought progression on Rich Rod over the course of 3 years

Hey, they hired a great coach, I am glad they got him.

He's a good coach that has his work cut out for him.

When he gets his players in place, look out.....

He's an offensive genius that doesn't really think much about his defense.

He's a nice guy but his coaching style does not fit the Big 10.

He's a really good offensive coordinator.

Let's say your boss tells you that you will be fired next month regardless how you perform at work from here on out, but the company still wants you to complete one last important project. Lets also assume that you already have an established track record in your line of work and are in talks with other employers about landing a new job b/c you want to ensure that you have something lined up. Lets also assume that you didn't want to be fired and you felt like the company is giving you a raw deal by giving you a pink slip already. In knowing all of this, how well do you think you will do on that last important project the company wants you to complete? Even if it is not intentional, it is probably likely that your work performance will suffer.

Kind of the current situation at WVU. Stewart has 1 more year as head coach and Holgerson will be the OC for one year under Stewart & HCIW. Assuming Stewart doesn't step down.

They looked pathetic against NC State....totally unprepared.

Kind of the current situation at WVU. Stewart has 1 more year as head coach and Holgerson will be the OC for one year under Stewart & HCIW. Assuming Stewart doesn't step down.

They looked pathetic against NC State....totally unprepared.

Bill Stewart = Bobby Williams; an emotional hire made without thought to the future.

I don't think they didn't play hard. I just think they were totally out matched. The defense was not prepared at all which at this point is half expected but it was still pathetic. The offense had stretches of good play but was not consistent enough to score a lot of points. I don't question the effort of the players though.

The offense had it's usual game, Denard with one bad interception, a horrible missed field goal, and then going for it on 4th down every time because of the awful defense/kicker. Give Mississippi State credit as well, they did a good job taking away the run after the first couple of drives with a lot of nice blitzes.

Defensively, well, heh. Mississippi State unleashed plays like 'a basic run' and 'a pass' that Michigan's defense just cant' handle.