CapitalTigers

Zack Miner DFA'd

BB3 - let me give more one try at this, apparently I've been unclear with my posts so far.

Sizemore has a lot to prove with the glove, but he's a much better hitter than Wil Rhymes could ever dream of being, based on several years of minor league stats. He clearly has more power, at the least. Neither has played enough in the big leagues to have "established" themselves yet because the sample sizes are still way too small. As far as I know, Austin Jackson could pull a Joe Charbonneau next year - nobody can predict/project these guys right every time.

Scott has to earn the 2nd base role in Spring Training, nobody is handing it to him - he is my best guess, that's all. I just don't get all these people who are writing Sizemore off completely, after a couple of months of his first exposure to big league pitching - and I still don't think he was 100% with that ankle at the time.

Also, you still haven't explained why Lance Parrish and Ty Cobb both hit under .250 as a rookie, so I'll venture a guess - because they were rookies.

Sometimes rookies struggle, even future Hall of Famers. So it shouldn't have been a shock that Sizemore flopped in his first go-round either.

Of course Lance never was a 'good' hitter. Lots of power, and a plus bat for a catcher, but a dead duck against a slider from a RHP from his first to last day in the majors. And Harry 'Late Blooming' Heilmann was probably a 'roider. :wink:

I can't believe you're comparing Scott Sizemore with these guys..........he's not that good a hitter. -- Besides, he's not a very good defensive player either, which in fact, makes things worse

Will Rhymes > Scott Sizemore

There is nothign better about Rhymes compared to Sizemore. Give the kid a chance, I'd be shocked if he doesn't become a .280-.290 type who drives in 80+runs.

there is NO WAY Sizemore is a .290 hitter in the majors. He hit .224 in 2010 in the majors, much closer to being Ingesque territory than a .290 hitter like Austin Jackson !!!!

Well, certainly I don't think anyone should count on Sizemore being a .290 hitter, but I'm not sure why he couldn't be. His minor league track record shows that he has historically hit for average.

Either way, he hasn't had enough playing time to know one way or the other.

If Miner re-signs with us on a minor league deal, which is what I'm hoping for, any thoughts on his role at Toledo? Is he strictly a reliever at this point, or would they put him in the rotation? I have to say, the rotation depth is pretty thin. And bullpen looks to be fairly stocked, barring injuries. And I'd rather call-up Miner to make a spot start than Figaro.

No problem....

.....but, I just don't get it with you guys' thinking that Sizemore is anything different than any of the other guys barely on the 25-man roster at any point in time(i.e....Boesch, Wells, Clete, Kelly, Rhymes, Figerao, Thomas, Worth, Stribey, et al).. Each of these players are struggling to make a mark of consistency and "stick" with the club. Each of these guy have had their brief moments of success, yet overall haven't done anything to set themselves permanently apart to deserve a long term spot on the active roster. IMHO, Sizemore is also in this class, to me, your position, theoritical potential for hitting at a .290 clip, etc., is all "pie in the sky" speculation.

Until a player, any player shows they deserve long term to be on the active roster, then, let's not think they can do anything more than they've actually shown on the ML team.

-------and this is a bad post?

For example, Raburn just worked his way off this list and I agree deserves a shot at a starting position. For my evaluation, I've still got Avila on the list of players above, as he hasn't shown me anything to think he deserves to be removed from the list..........he's a catcher which helps diminish the horrendus offensive production and he's not a +defensive catcher, but, he does have other advantages that keep him a lock on the team.

Again, I think all the players mentioned above are generally in the same catagory. They all have their strenghts, but also have shown weaknesses in their game thus far that exceed their strengths which has caused them the roller coaster of up and down, success and (many times extreme) failure. Until these guys individually show something different ON THE FIELD and not here on message board speculation, let's not get to excited. We can be excited for the opportunity, excited for a new season with a clean slate, but, history has shown to date that these guys haven't done anything at the level of others who have established themselves as deserving ........so, until then, let's just all argue over our own speculation!

You aren't just talking about being unproven and needing to prove himself. For some reason, when talking about Sizemore, you go way the hell overboard and discount him entirely, when there just isn't nearly enough of a track record at the major league level to contradict the huge difference in minor league track record, not to mention the difference in opinion among talent scouts.

Since I can't use Ty Cobb, how about Ryan Raburn? He didn't do much of anything until age 26, scuffled for a couple more years (perhaps due to irregular playing time), and is just now getting his shot at a full-time job.

Sometimes you don't set the house afire your first go-round. Sizemore has already batted over .300 at three minor league levels - and he's turning 26 in January. Some guys just take a little longer to get there. I'm not worried about Sizemore's hitting - he'll hit - but his glovework, I'll be watching that closely.

You aren't just talking about being unproven and needing to prove himself. For some reason, when talking about Sizemore, you go way the hell overboard and discount him entirely, when there just isn't nearly enough of a track record at the major league level to contradict the huge difference in minor league track record, not to mention the difference in opinion among talent scouts.

I was making the correlation of what these guys have done in the majors, to me, it's nice to do this or that in the minors, but, that doesn't count in being on the 25-man roster, only what happens with the big club matters.

I think Sizemore is a decent back up utility guy as he can also play 3B, to me, he's not a starting 2Bman. I don't think he will hit in the majors, sorry if u don't like it, it's just my opinion.

To me, Rhymes > Sizemore, but, not sure that either is a long term starting kind of guy..........possibly much like the other names I mentioned in my original post this am.

Let's let them show us if they can be worthy of starting, thus being on a 25-man roster for the long term, let's not speculate.

I don't look at this to be way the HL overboard, it's just plain, simple truth

Let's let them show us if they can be worthy of starting, thus being on a 25-man roster for the long term, let's not speculate.

A) Who is suggesting Sizemore be handed the starting job without demonstrating he has earned it? You keep coming back to this, but I don't think anybody suggested it.

B) Whether we speculate or not has no bearing on the team. All this board is about is speculation and opinion.

If Miner re-signs with us on a minor league deal, which is what I'm hoping for, any thoughts on his role at Toledo? Is he strictly a reliever at this point, or would they put him in the rotation? I have to say, the rotation depth is pretty thin. And bullpen looks to be fairly stocked, barring injuries. And I'd rather call-up Miner to make a spot start than Figaro.

I'd be good with that.

All this board is about is speculation and opinion.
Excuse me a minute, I was still chiseling that .290 batting average into the sacred tablets for 2011.

Excuse me a minute, I was still chiseling that .290 batting average into the sacred tablets for 2011.

Make sure to put that .224 right next to Ty Cobb's and the others when he hits .290, just don't hold your breath for that to happen.

WOW, this is fun ! LOL !!! Just sayin'

Make sure to put that .224 right next to Ty Cobb's and the others when he hits .290, just don't hold your breath for that to happen.

WOW, this is fun ! LOL !!! Just sayin'

:cheeky: You are a good sport, my good sir. But I'm still laughing about your remonstrance not to partake in any speculation here - hell that's what we do here 24/7, and the talking heads on TV and the radio are far worse, at least we're trying to dig into the numbers a little deeper. I love this joint (in case you couldn't tell)

We'll start placing the side bets come February! :rambo: (but I am a closet Wil Rhymes fan if that helps)

This is fascinating to read while not understanding the need to participate. No complaints though. Have at it.

:cheeky: You are a good sport, my good sir. But I'm still laughing about your remonstrance not to partake in any speculation here - hell that's what we do here 24/7, and the talking heads on TV and the radio are far worse, at least we're trying to dig into the numbers a little deeper. I love this joint (in case you couldn't tell)

We'll start placing the side bets come February! :rambo: (but I am a closet Wil Rhymes fan if that helps)

Love it!

My wife says, "I can't belive you post on those message boards, all of you guys are just a bunch of wanna be's" ...she laughs at all of our speculation and opinons..............

she hates that I post here, but, like I tell her, it's worth the price of admission for all the laughs we have.

Love it!

My wife says, "I can't belive you post on those message boards, all of you guys are just a bunch of wanna be's" ...she laughs at all of our speculation and opinons..............

she hates that I post here, but, like I tell her, it's worth the price of admission for all the laughs we have.

Mike, tell her at least one is just a guy who loves our kids with no personal aspirations of expertise. I just take what I am given in this game and it is enough. Hope to see you and the extended family soon.

Mike, tell her at least one is just a guy who loves our kids with no personal aspirations of expertise. I just take what I am given in this game and it is enough. Hope to see you and the extended family soon.

Looking forward to seeing you soon -- hope the winter temps warm quickly and ST comes in the blink of an eye, can't wait.

It will be great to see you -- one of these days, I need to actually get that Willie Horton book from you !! -

Take care, ALL the BEST !

Interesting that Miner has not yet re-signed. He must be looking for more money than the Tigers want to offer, a better opportunity, or a more defined role. I wonder what is the road block here.

Maybe the Tigers just don't want him?

Maybe, but there was reported mutual interest in keeping him in the organization.

I wouldn't be surprised if both parties are waiting to see how his rehab progresses before committing to the 2011 season. If he looks decent and may be ready by June, the Tigers will probably have interest in an MiLB deal. If he looks great and is potentially going to be ready much earlier, he would be wise to wait and see if he can get a big league deal. I'm sure both parties are in contact with the other and the possibility still exists that he will return.