smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If this doesn't put a smile on your face then you have no soul:

The look on Dave's face when he hit the high notes... 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

If this doesn't put a smile on your face then you have no soul:

I've seen videos of fans being brought on stage to play with a band a few times, so I started thinking that they were setups. I mean, it just seems like the odds say that the fan would be terrible a fair amount of the time, but they always seem to nail it. This one has me backing off of that a little bit. He doesn't "nail it" by any stretch (although still WAY better than I would be). I guess I'm saying that he was just bad enough that I don't think he's a plant. If he's legitimately "just a fan", then impressive indeed especially in front of a huge crowd.

26 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I've seen videos of fans being brought on stage to play with a band a few times, so I started thinking that they were setups. I mean, it just seems like the odds say that the fan would be terrible a fair amount of the time, but they always seem to nail it. This one has me backing off of that a little bit. He doesn't "nail it" by any stretch (although still WAY better than I would be). I guess I'm saying that he was just bad enough that I don't think he's a plant. If he's legitimately "just a fan", then impressive indeed especially in front of a huge crowd.

I think its a setup.  I've seen one where a kid comes up on stage to play guitar.

36 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I think its a setup.  I've seen one where a kid comes up on stage to play guitar.

Read the comments on the video. One commenter actually knows him.

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

The look on Dave's face when he hit the high notes... 

Grohl is a guy who comes off as absolutely aware of his lot in life and how he hit payday twice in an industry where millions have failed; he doesn't act like he deserves it. He obviously loves his life and seems genuinely interested in living it to the fullest.

I know a guy who has hung out with him many times and said there is not a presumptuous bone in his body and the joy filled way he acts on stage is how he is in his private life too.

If Dave Grohl would ever shut up they could play 3 more songs at their concerts...

24 minutes ago, Oblong said:

If Dave Grohl would ever shut up they could play 3 more songs at their concerts...

Grumpfart!

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Grohl is a guy who comes off as absolutely aware of his lot in life and how he hit payday twice in an industry where millions have failed; he doesn't act like he deserves it. He obviously loves his life and seems genuinely interested in living it to the fullest.

I know a guy who has hung out with him many times and said there is not a presumptuous bone in his body and the joy filled way he acts on stage is how he is in his private life too.

He absolutely seems that way to me.  Genuinely good guy loving his life and living his dream.

5 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

You are only going to see the good ones, for the most part. The bad ones aren't going viral. This guy was a pretty average singer. Why would you set that up? He wasn't the 2nd coming of Geddy Lee by any stretch. 

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

I saw Suicidal Tendencies once and they were booed off stage because after each song the singer would preach about some political cause for like 5 minutes. It got really bad. Dave is nowhere near that. I don't recall him ever being overly talky during shows. Maybe he is, but I'm not aware of it. 

My friend and I have had this long running gripe and joke with Dave.  He’s everywhere.  Seems like any documentary on music he’s in it.  And he’s always dropping random F bombs.  Once he asked if I remembered some band named Voivod from the 80s. I googled it and I **** you not the first hit was “Dave Grohl talks about Vovoid”.  That sealed it.   

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

My friend and I have had this long running gripe and joke with Dave.  He’s everywhere.  Seems like any documentary on music he’s in it.  And he’s always dropping random F bombs.  Once he asked if I remembered some band named Voivod from the 80s. I googled it and I **** you not the first hit was “Dave Grohl in vovoid”.  That sealed it.   

He's a charismatic dude who has been in two huge rock bands spanning almost 30 years. He definitely likes talking but he's also a guy everyone wants to interview about everything. 

I'm trying to think of a good comp. What frontman has been in two bands this big for this long of a career and did it this successfully? Guys have done it partially as solo acts. I guess that doesn't make a difference really. Just trying to think of anyone who has taken anything similar to his path. 

Ozzy might be a good comp and had a solid 30-year run. He's performed longer but has he had any sort of "hit" since the 90's? I don't think so. Phil Collins is another comp. 

5 hours ago, Yoda said:

I'm trying to think of a good comp.  Just trying to think of anyone who has taken anything similar to his path. 

Eric Clapton if he had a big personality. Also Paul McCartney. The difference is the meat of Grohl's success is in the days of the internets whereas those guys were successful in the 60s and 70s.

14 hours ago, Yoda said:

I saw Suicidal Tendencies once and they were booed off stage because after each song the singer would preach about some political cause for like 5 minutes. It got really bad. Dave is nowhere near that. I don't recall him ever being overly talky during shows. Maybe he is, but I'm not aware of it. 

You Cant Bring Me Down was like my anthem when that tape came out.  Every couple weeks or so I have to go to youtube to play it...still my jam.  

I wore the tape out, but that song remains as one I listen to all the time.  Actually have to go have a listen right now.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

You Cant Bring Me Down was like my anthem when that tape came out.  Every couple weeks or so I have to go to youtube to play it...still my jam.  

I wore the tape out, but that song remains as one I listen to all the time.  Actually have to go have a listen right now.

Who you callin' crazy? You wouldn't know crazy if Charles Manson was sitting on your front porch eating Froot Loops!

Things that put a smile on my face? This! It's pretty cheesy at moments but man is this game fun, addicting and a good workout.

10 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Who you callin' crazy? You wouldn't know crazy if Charles Manson was sitting on your front porch eating Froot Loops!

I am resisting the urge to correct the line, but yeah....this was one of the first songs I can remember studying to figure out the exact lyrics of.  Back before you could just look it up online.

It is funny how off some of the lyrics I have wrong in my head from back then.  I will look online and laugh at how bad my guesses were.

What one decides to do with their body (As long as it does not do any, ANY harm to another person in their direct vicinity) should be up to them.  Unfortunately this "dude" is blowing smoke into the air which does directly impacts those in his vicinity.

Drug addicts (extreme cases) do unintended harm to those outside their direct vicinity by draining on the health system and becoming dependent on the state to feed them and house them etc.

Doing drugs (on a non dependent scale) to deal with the stresses and anxiety of every day life should be totally fine.  The issue is making sure those who do it recreationaly do not become dependent on the drug to the point they become a drain on society.

There is a balance there.  I think we are working our way to getting there.  The road will be long.  Will we pass that road in 100 years?  Maybe.  200?  Most likely...at least I hope we do.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

What one decides to do with their body (As long as it does not do any, ANY harm to another person in their direct vicinity) should be up to them.  Unfortunately this "dude" is blowing smoke into the air which does directly impacts those in his vicinity.

Drug addicts (extreme cases) do unintended harm to those outside their direct vicinity by draining on the health system and becoming dependent on the state to feed them and house them etc.

Doing drugs (on a non dependent scale) to deal with the stresses and anxiety of every day life should be totally fine.  The issue is making sure those who do it recreationaly do not become dependent on the drug to the point they become a drain on society.

There is a balance there.  I think we are working our way to getting there.  The road will be long.  Will we pass that road in 100 years?  Maybe.  200?  Most likely...at least I hope we do.

It's going to come down to wether or not we have a government that isn't bent on trying to control every detail of our lives, i.e. seatbelt laws. 

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Make the argument using the food of McDonald's instead of pot.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Make the argument using the food of McDonald's instead of pot.

You can.  McDonalds makes food that is addicting and bad for your health, thus making it more probable you will be dependent on the state for hospitalization for heart disease and other related medical conditions. 

Vices.  Everyone has one or some.  Food is a drug to some.  They find solace in it like a weed smoker does after taking a toke.  Again it comes back to moderation.  Eating McDonalds once a month or something is not going to have a huge negative impact on your health.  Smoking a joint a week (or however long is deemed relatively minor) same.  Eat that same McDonalds every day?  Smoke a joint a day?  

IMO, eating the Mcdonalds is MUCH worse in this scenario, but change pot to heroin or crack?  Then we are in the same ball park I think.

9 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Unfortunately this "dude" is blowing smoke into the air which does directly impacts those in his vicinity.

Oh my god that's horrible, are the other people okay???

• Haha 1