smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

The neighbors have a nice fenced in garden.  They've been putting leaves and grass in there for compost for next season.  So, out of the periphery of my vision as I am standing next to second story window, I notice something's going on in the garden.  Two of their three doxons are carrying on like children playing tag in the leaves.  Chasing each other, kicking up leaves as they rip through them and cut and make circles.  Rooting up leaves with their noses.  Honestly, I think I had a good chuckle watching them for about 5 minutes.

Another successful semester in the books.  I am now 7 classes (plus my senior project) away from completing a bachelors in physics and 1 class from getting a minor in mathematics. 

Senior project is already kind of underway though.  I am working on programming a few of the planets orbits using keplers equations in python.  From there I will move to the asteroid belt and LISA satellites (gravitational wave detectors). 

Now I can spend time in the UP at my office, working a few extra hours and enjoying a nice 3 week break. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And play hockey.

At least go watch some.  Get this, my niece (the 7th grader who plays in Canada) has a game Wednesday night.  She plays at 9:30pm, this is her regular midweek game.  And there are kids her age getting on the ice after her.  They never stop playing hockey in Canada. I was surprised how later her game was.

Got offered a part time job yesterday by Grand Valley State.  Got an email from the student services office asking if I would like to lead a workshop for introductory physics courses.  Basically I will get paid 6-8 hours a week to attend two lectures and then prep for the workshop sessions each week.  Will give me an opportunity to work on my presenting skills.  Also, one of the best ways to learn something deeply is to teach it.  Plus, a few extra bucks can't hurt.  Only drawback is that this is a non calculus based course, so I will have to figure out how to relate the math without using calculus, which seems counterintuitive to physics, but what the heck. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Got offered a part time job yesterday by Grand Valley State.  Got an email from the student services office asking if I would like to lead a workshop for introductory physics courses.  Basically I will get paid 6-8 hours a week to attend two lectures and then prep for the workshop sessions each week.  Will give me an opportunity to work on my presenting skills.  Also, one of the best ways to learn something deeply is to teach it.  Plus, a few extra bucks can't hurt.  Only drawback is that this is a non calculus based course, so I will have to figure out how to relate the math without using calculus, which seems counterintuitive to physics, but what the heck. 

Congrats!  I never took you to be a numbers kind of guy, but it is awesome you are in a field you are obviously pretty passionate about.

5 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Congrats!  I never took you to be a numbers kind of guy, but it is awesome you are in a field you are obviously pretty passionate about.

I love numbers when it doesn't have to do with sports.  Physics has opened up a very interesting world to me, where most of my days are filled with math and solving for the equations of motions of anything you can think of.

For sports, the statistical side of it really takes away from the game for me.  I don't even know how to explain it, it seems as if there is a building trend to talk much less about the actual play of a given sport (think eye test) and rely much more on advanced metrics, which by there construction, are arbitrary.  If you want to talk about the angular momentum of a planet or the force due to a current carrying wire, I am game.  But when it comes to sports, I just want to be a slappy who watches the game and throws up an opinion.  The numbers are boring.  For example, you can't mention RBIs on this message board for baseball, you will get laughed out. 

Hockey has moved to Corsi metrics as well.  All about puck possession.  But, of course hockey is about puck possession.  I can watch the game and know who has had the puck more. I don't need a strict analysis of it. 

• Like 1

I tend to be a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to Christmas pageants. But, watching a bunch of 4 year olds doing the Reindeer Hokey Pokey..........

1 hour ago, T&P_Fan said:

This was all over twitter the other day.   So fricken hilarious.  Can't take a full swing with that footing.

The good old days of steel spikes might have cured that.  I miss them, and don't think I've played as good since.  Or course age has something to do with it as well.  Booo!!!!!

2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Hockey has moved to Corsi metrics as well.  All about puck possession.  But, of course hockey is about puck possession.  I can watch the game and know who has had the puck more. I don't need a strict analysis of it. 

funny you should mention this one. Sure, I'd rather my team have the puck than not, but I can't help thinking back to the Wings just as they were starting to improve under Demers and Edmonton was the class of the league. We'd get into a playoff round against the Oilers and carry the play for minutes on end while Fuhr would stone them and then the Wings would eventually get stupid and over-commit in the offensive end and Bang - goal Edmonton on a breakaway. Drove me crazy. They had finishers and we didn't (not to mention Fuhr). I guess every good rule still has a good counter-example.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

funny you should mention this one. Sure, I'd rather my team have the puck than not, but I can't help thinking back to the Wings just as they were starting to improve under Demers and Edmonton was the class of the league. We'd get into a playoff round against the Oilers and carry the play for minutes on end while Fuhr would stone them and then the Wings would eventually get stupid and over-commit in the offensive end and Bang - goal Edmonton on a breakaway. Drove me crazy. They had finishers and we didn't (not to mention Fuhr). I guess every good rule still has a good counter-example.

I think hockey at times has some extreme counter examples, because of goaltending.  Must have been over a decade now, the Wings were swept (I believe) by the Ducks who had jean sebastien giguere.  I believe giguere went on to win the Conn Smythe even though the Devils won the cup, only two guys have done that since the early 80's, Hextall and Giguere, goalies of course. 

It's kind of like in baseball, when your team has runners on base all game, based juiced 1 out 3 different times, but can't scratch home a run.  Yet you're trailing 2-0 in the 6th and the other team has 1 hit, but that hit was a homer after a walk.  The viewing element to sport is still very important, and my favorite to discuss. 

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I was going to say 'ahhhh the Paul Coffey years' (regarding the comment about over committing), but that was about 5-6 years later.

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

This is awesome! Watch an SNL set change in just two minutes.

That's pretty cool to see.  I assumed there were probably two or three stages that were used, but those angles made it seem like just one main stage. 

On 12/22/2016 at 1:43 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

My recollection is completely the opposite.  The Wings were a dump and chase team and the Oilers were all about possession. The Wings were better in the corners and that was about it.  The Oilers were clearly the more talented team overall and outplayed the Wings pretty handily despite the Wings playing a good defensive game.

I do agree the Wings couldn't finish well and had to crash the net hard to produce goals consistently.

That all written, I haven't seen footage in 30 years, so take with a grain of salt.

My son is in town for the holiday and just picked up his daddy for a guy field trip to the cigar lounge my husband used to frequent.  I can't say I'm overly excited about the cigar he plans to enjoy, though the beer isn't a worry.  But my husband has been like a kid looking forward to a trip to Chucky Cheese all day, getting to do man stuff with his son.    It just makes me happy.

• Like 2