smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

4 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Watching the home opener with California Dreaming. Apparently he took time away from his happy life in California to visit snowy Michigan.

I hope that he acclimated to the time change ok. :)  <Shakes head> West coast guys...

My older son (current 8th grader) decided early in the school year to apply to boarding schools, which is something neither me or my wife had any sort of experience with (nor did we expect).  The schools he applied to all required 4-5 essays, 3-4 letters of recommendation, on campus visits / interviews, on-going dialogues with prospective coaches, etc.  It was more than I ever had to do to get into college or grad school. 

In any event, he did all the work, tracked people down to make sure they submitted their bits and I was pretty proud of what he went out and did.

In the end, he was wait-listed at two of the schools and turned down by the other two.  Disappointing result but the funny thing is how well he took it.  Immediately decided to take on more work / extra curricular activities to make a better application next year.  I think I am more proud of that than had he gotten in straight away.

• Like 3

So, we finally have all of our appraisals and inspections for our new house dine and are clear to close next week, which is a great relief. Then I get an email from my broker telling me that she has held off on locking in an interest rate because the market has been moving in a favorable direction. Because of this we just locked in a rate that is about half a percent lower than expected. Because of this and the fact that we got the seller to contribute a percent of the sale price to closing costs, I will have my entire earnest money amount refunded, a credit of about 1000 dollar credit applied to the loan, and be able to close with only the appraisal cost out of pocket. If anyone needs a recommendation for a good mortgage broker in the twin cities, hit me up.

• Like 2

So, we finally have all of our appraisals and inspections for our new house dine and are clear to close next week, which is a great relief. Then I get an email from my broker telling me that she has held off on locking in an interest rate because the market has been moving in a favorable direction. Because of this we just locked in a rate that is about half a percent lower than expected. Because of this and the fact that we got the seller to contribute a percent of the sale price to closing costs, I will have my entire earnest money amount refunded, a credit of about 1000 dollar credit applied to the loan, and be able to close with only the appraisal cost out of pocket. If anyone needs a recommendation for a good mortgage broker in the twin cities, hit me up.

I just played around with a mortgage calculator, and I just saved well over 20k over the course of the loan.

• Like 1

That feeling when you hand your newly constructed prototype to your boss, and you hear him tell the marketing guy "This is why we pay this guy so much." :)

• Like 2

I was just sitting on my back porch when a beautiful hawk landed on the fence.  He sat there a couple of minutes, then suddenly swooped down and grabbed a rodent running along the fence line from the hillbillies' property behind us.  It was so cool!  Hope he is nesting nearby, stupid hillbillies.  

Found this today. Hope it is a permanent thing.37fbad65315a5c68f7e7dd91eef9ffed.jpg

• Like 1

Corn on the cob in the summer.  But I really need to try grilling it rather than just boiling it.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 11:37 PM, Walt said:

Found this today. Hope it is a permanent thing.37fbad65315a5c68f7e7dd91eef9ffed.jpg

I went to a Motor City Bowl several seasons ago.  It was Bowling Green & Northwestern, and sports reference tells me that it was  December 26, 2003 (wow, it doesn't seem that long ago).  I was completely delighted that Vernors was one of the offerings at Ford Field.

9 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Things that put a smile on my face:

On consecutive nights both of my children caught their very first fish.

Daddies that take their daughters fishing and to baseball games make me smile.   My husband always did too, so when I see it my smile is partly knowing the payoff these daddies can anticipate when their girls are grown.  

We have long had an excess of blessings from the mint we planted years ago.   But tonight we are experimenting with various mojito recipes.  This may work out well as a natural way to control the mint from taking over.   

Helping coach U8 girls softball and seeing kids smile when they make plays and not get upset when they make mistakes.  They are being kids, learning the game, and having fun.

I just discovered that for Amazon Prime members, you can get a "fresh" account for an extra 3.85/week and they'll deliver groceries to your door. I can either pick a time that day or if it's in the evening, they'll deliver them at a time I select in the morning, once a week. This is amazing.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

I just discovered that for Amazon Prime members, you can get a "fresh" account for an extra 3.85/week and they'll deliver groceries to your door. I can either pick a time that day or if it's in the evening, they'll deliver them at a time I select in the morning, once a week. This is amazing.

I know, I am totally looking forward to the time when I can never ever leave my house again for anything.     Now get off my lawn!

9 hours ago, Yoda said:

Oh, I need this!   We only have two grocery choices close enough for a quick run for a few items:  an Albertsons that doesn't keep the shelves well stocked, and a Walmart. (Ick).  There is an Aldi but the selection is very limited, esp for the fresh produce.   

On 5/26/2016 at 6:12 PM, Melody said:

Daddies that take their daughters fishing and to baseball games make me smile.   My husband always did too, so when I see it my smile is partly knowing the payoff these daddies can anticipate when their girls are grown.  

My daughter asked me to take her to a game, I'm going to very soon.

8 minutes ago, pfife said:

My daughter asked me to take her to a game, I'm going to very soon.

My 32 year old daughter is taking her daddy to a game this weekend!   It will come back to you, friend!  have fun!

I cannot stop laughing at this. I keep hearing Goodbye Horses playing in the background and hearing Ted Levine's voice saying this to someone who knocks on the door . . .

13606986_10154008873512795_3422233321887

• Like 1

When you are wondering what to fix for lunch, open the fridge, and see that Del Friscos carry out bag your daughter dropped off the preceding evening.  Winning!  

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If it had Castlevania 3 it would be perfect.  Top shelf offering right there.

They were talking about this on the radio on the drive in, and I was thinking that 3 would be a good addition.  I think that to be perfect, you need Contra and Tecmo Super Bowl.