smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

Finding a poster from 1997 that was a giveaway at Tiger Stadium with a side-by-side comparison of Tram and Lou. I thought it was gone and I found it while cleaning out the basement. Hello mancave addition!

Finding a poster from 1997 that was a giveaway at Tiger Stadium with a side-by-side comparison of Tram and Lou. I thought it was gone and I found it while cleaning out the basement. Hello mancave addition!

The game: Detroit Tigers versus Seattle Mariners - June 7, 1997 - Tiger Stadium Play-by-play - Back To Baseball

I'll grab a picture of the poster since there doesn't seem to be an image online.

My husband turned the big six-oh this week. I'm smiling about the birthday party our daughters threw for him over the weekend, and the guests who were mostly our kids' friends who love him so much and came to celebrate (and share a forbidden cigar) with him.

He was so happy. And he deserves every bit of the love that those kids all heap on him. And dang it, he deserved that My Father Flor de La Antilles cigar.

Edited by Melody

My husband turned the big six-oh this week. I'm smiling about the birthday party our daughters threw for him over the weekend, and the guests who were mostly our kids' friends who love him so much and came to celebrate (and share a forbidden cigar) with him.

He was so happy. And he deserves every bit of the love that those kids all heap on him. And dang it, he deserved that My Father Flor de La Antilles cigar.

Happy birthday to your better half!

Sounds like a joyous time with friends and family. Very cool.

Happy birthday to your better half!

Sounds like a joyous time with friends and family. Very cool.

My 4 year old, and her pre-k classmates, think that Dora the explorer's name is Da-da-da-da-da-Dora, like it is sang in the song.

• Like 1

I randomly got friend requests and private messages via Facebook this week, one yesterday and another just now, from young people we've "adopted" by heart over the years but hadn't heard from in a very long time. It was so good to know that they are doing well, but it also makes me happy that they remember and think of us because we never forgot them.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Melody said:

I randomly got friend requests and private messages via Facebook this week, one yesterday and another just now, from young people we've "adopted" by heart over the years but hadn't heard from in a very long time. It was so good to know that they are doing well, but it also makes me happy that they remember and think of us because we never forgot them.   

I deactivated my Facebook account around a month ago and surprisingly haven't missed it one single bit. I used to check it several times a day and it became a habit. There are some things that were convenient such as invites to events and seeing personal updates from close friends but the barrage of stupidity put me over the edge.

43 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I deactivated my Facebook account around a month ago and surprisingly haven't missed it one single bit. I used to check it several times a day and it became a habit. There are some things that were convenient such as invites to events and seeing personal updates from close friends but the barrage of stupidity put me over the edge.

I know what you mean. My husband does that regularly, and I probably have half the people on my list unfollowed.  Some of it not entirely their fault.  It used to be we could control whether just "liking" something put it in the news stream but now there is so much crud and clutter.  OTOH, it makes me so happy to be findable by people who want to check in with us.  And I do love the pictures.  Will miss my periodic dose of twin fun, though.  You are such a great daddy!  One of those things I smile about. 

I have cute kids and live out of state from my family, so Facebook is the easiest way to keep them off of my back for pictures. I just started unfollowing people who post dumb **** that made fb less enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I haven't deactivated mine, but I haven't looked at it in months.  The invites are nice, but since my wife is on her facebook several times a day, I can get most of what I need to know through her.

52 minutes ago, Walt said:

I have cute kids and live out of state from my family, so Facebook is the easiest way to keep them off of my back for pictures. I just started unfollowing people who post dumb **** that made fb less enjoyable.

I don't want to completely bag on facebook.  Situations like yours are good where out-of-towners can keep tabs on each other.  Or catching up with folks that you've fallen out of touch with.  But I've just gotten tired of some of the other shenanigans and haven't had an itch to log in in quite a while.

• Like 1

I make ample use of the "hide" feature. Those people who share every meme from a radio station about minions or about how strong they are now that so and so is out of their lives... That makes for a cleaner feed.

This is sort of a test.

Not sure how old my laptop is, but at least 7 years or more.  I use it a bunch.  Some of the keys on the keyboard started to get hard to work.  I finally had to really smack them to do so (especially the number keys at the top). After looking into it, you can buy a new keyboard and replace it yourself.  Worried how hard that may be, but worth a chance instead of buying a new laptop (I do like this one).

I thought it might be full of food (NO, tell us it can't be so) so I tried blowing it out and all that good stuff.  No better.  So I shopped around and found a replacement.  Amazon, 2 day delivery, less than 20 bucks.  Got it today.  Replaced it in about 10 minutes.  Easy enough, seems to work just fine.  Doesn't get much easier than this. :-)  Happy Camper.

It didn't come with crumbs.  Even better.  :-)

• Like 1

Even I can replace the keyboard on a laptop!  At least in my husband's old Windows laptop where the letters had worn off some of the keys.  When I spilled a wine on my Macbook I saw how many parts I would have to remove and replace and decided to bite the bullet and have a pro do it.   YouTube is my BFF.  

Laptop keyboards are not terribly difficult to replace.  YMMV by model of course.

2 minutes ago, Melody said:

Even I can replace the keyboard on a laptop!  At least in my husband's old Windows laptop where the letters had worn off some of the keys.  When I spilled a wine on my Macbook I saw how many parts I would have to remove and replace and decided to bite the bullet and have a pro do it.   YouTube is my BFF.  

Good for you.  I watched some videos before I made the decision to try it.  I can take anything apart, but putting it back together is another story. :-)  I'm not afraid to tear into just about anything, but small electronic devices are not my bag, so I was hesitant. No worry, it was pretty easy.  And a bunch cheaper than a new machine, and since I'm a cheap old coot, even better.

My husband who is sixty years old, has left side paralysis from a carotid artery injury/stroke in 2012, and is eight months out from a broken femur has ridden 70 miles on his recumbent trike this week.  He is training for a 150 mile MS fundraiser.

You youngsters beat that!   He is so awesome!  

• Like 4

I watched baseball with my son for the first time last night

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I need to confirm it wasn't a Twins game the two of you were watching before I can give my thumbs up.

Watching the Tigers opener on TV.

On 4/6/2016 at 0:49 PM, Walt said:

I watched baseball with my son for the first time last night

That's a sweet feeling.  My schedule does not allow me to watch many games during the season, so a Friday afternoon home opener was the perfect recipe for me.  It's the first time in a couple of years I've gotten to sit down & watch a game from first pitch to last without having to have it DVRd.  My heart is happy.

Watching the home opener with California Dreaming. Apparently he took time away from his happy life in California to visit snowy Michigan.