smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

On two wheels thru northern Wisconsin heading east thru the UP. Smile worthy.

What route did you take across?

We took the Badger across the lake.

I meant which route through Wisconsin and the UP. I drive through both a few times each year.

My brother is coming from Colorado for a 1 day visit to see my Dad (surprise....tacked it on to a business trip here in the east) . We're going to hook up with another sister and brother-in-law and take in a minor league game (NJ Jackals) @Yogi Berra field on Saturday night. Fireworks after the game. Hoping my Dad will enjoy it all. He'll be 92 next Friday.

My brother is coming from Colorado for a 1 day visit to see my Dad (surprise....tacked it on to a business trip here in the east) . We're going to hook up with another sister and brother-in-law and take in a minor league game (NJ Jackals) @Yogi Berra field on Saturday night. Fireworks after the game. Hoping my Dad will enjoy it all. He'll be 92 next Friday.

Sounds like a great birthday present to me!

I meant which route through Wisconsin and the UP. I drive through both a few times each year.

55 north and then I have no idea where we are now! I'm following.

55 north and then I have no idea where we are now! I'm following.

Ha.

Finally got pipes in the wall fixed, and had all of the disgusting water-damaged wood removed from under the sink. As a bonus, since it was a building problem, it means I'm not responsible financially. Big sigh of relief....

1,382 miles in three and a half days on motorcycles to view some of the most gorgeous scenery ever and the best bike roads the midwest.

Took this across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin to begin our trip:

USSBadger.jpg

Picture of the sunset from the ship:

LMSunset3.jpg

Pulaski Wisconsin:

PulaskiWI.jpg

Lake of the Clouds in the western upper peninsula of Michigan:

LakeOfTheClouds3.jpg

Same as above:

LakeOfTheClouds4.jpg

My travel companions on the shore of Lake Superior:

LakeSuperiorKewenaw1.jpg

Record snowfall in Michigan:

KewenawSnowfall1.jpg

As above:

KewenawSnowfall2.jpg

Pictured Rocks in Munising MI:

PicturedRocks3.jpg

More pictured rocks:

PicturedRocks4.jpg

Point Iroquois Lighthouse:

PtIriquoisLighthouse1.jpg

Point Iroquois Lighthouse keeper. Really cool old guy. Retired Navy and loves restoring this formerly abandoned lighthouse:

PtIriquoisLighthouse4.jpg

The "Soo" locks in Sault Ste Marie MI:

SooLocks4.jpg

Notice how much higher the ship is after they fill the lock:

SooLocks5.jpg

Tahquamenon Falls Upper Falls:

TahquamenonFallsUpper.jpg

Tahquamenon Falls Lower. If you look in the far falls you will see people playing in the falls:

TahquamenonFallsLower.jpg

The Gay Bar in Gay Michigan. It's really the only thing here and they make all of their money on tourism and swag. I bought a hat.

TheGayBar.jpg

The swag:

TheGayBarSwag.jpg

The north side of the Mackinac Bridge:

MackinacBridgeNorthside2.jpg

And another shot of the north side of the bridge. We rode across it and it was fortunately not too windy but still my bike was not centered for the entire 5 miles.

MackinacBridgeNorthside3.jpg

I looked out in my backyard on Saturday and saw 6 baby cardinals (3 male and 3 female, I think) pecking about and flying to low branches on the ornamental cherry blossom tree we have back there. Really neat.

Heading off to vacation and made a quick overnight stop in Roanoke, Va to visit with family. Our son and three year old grandson is traveling with us. After the usual RDog clan gathering son and grandson headed back to hotel room. Now Roanoke is nicknamed the Star City of the south, they erected a big star on one of the mountains inside the city limits back in the '30s or '40s. It's lit at night and is one of the city's major attractions. The little one saw the star from his hotel window and started singing "Twinkle, Twinkle......

Pulaski is where we cut across from 29 to 41 on our trips to and from Michigan. We hit 41 north to Michigan, then up 35 to Escanaba, it is quite nice through there. Further north is pretty too, but not a great way to travel with young kids. I love taking US-8 all the way across. I love Gay and the Keewenau too. I took a bicycling trip around there between middle school and high school that went Houghton to Gay to Copper Harbor to Calumet and back down to Houghton. it is quite beautiful up there.

I may be easily amused but this put a smile on my face:

I have a battery powered trimmer which also works as an edger. Over the last few years the batteries have gotten progressively weaker to the point where I almost replaced the entire unit just to get new batteries because the batteries were so dang expensive.

I spoke with a guy at the local battery shop and he told me that, for essentially the same price as replacing the entire trimmer, I could get new cells installed in the existing battery cases which would be far more powerful than the ones that Black and Decker sell with the trimmer.

Boy was he right. I was a trimming and edging fool yesterday and loved every minute of it.