smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

Orchestra seats for Les Miserables tonight!

Cool, probably my favorite musical. Any "names" in the cast?

Cool, probably my favorite musical. Any "names" in the cast?

Ours too! I think this is either our fifth or sixth time to see it. Not sure about the cast; the tickets were a gift. But if I had to guess, I'd say probably no big names since it's at a smaller theater.

More: One of the things I love about live theater is that each time you see a show, there are subtle differences that make it new. (Coincidentally, the Javert is one that we had seen before several years ago.) The theater has a configuration where the stage is at the bottom and the seats rise from that point. The conductor stands right in front of the stage, but the orchestra is actually behind and above the stage out of sight of the audience. We were sitting maybe 20 feet from the stage and almost eye level with the actors. That made the experience a lot different from before because we could see the facial expressions, etc. so clearly.

But what I found fascinating this time was the director's casting of black actors in the roles of the priest and Fantine. It's commonly done in theater, but in this case it seemed particularly inspired. Both gave great performances, played their parts straight with no attempt to modernize. But it struck me during the priest's performance and that carried over into Fantine's trials, that the casting choices which were just a little bit out of place for the historical period reminded me to apply the message of the story to the 21st century. And I particularly loved that they did it so very subtly, let it speak for itself instead of being overt or preachy.

Edited by Melody

We've got a hummingbird feeder off of the kitchen window. We clean it before refilling and once in a while toss it in the dishwasher. So sometimes the hummingbird just hovers there, seemingly staring in the window to get our attention to get its food outside for it.

I got to surprise my husband today with tickets to a baseball game. He hadn't been to the ball field since he got sick, and we had concerns about him being able to walk the distance, navigate the crowds, and maneuver to his seat. (He refuses to use the wheelchair under any circumstances.)

So I got him some infield club tickets. Kind of expensive, but there is a private entrance and elevator, and scored seats on the aisle. Wish you could have seen his face this morning after the mailman came and he opened that envelope. So fun!

I got to surprise my husband today with tickets to a baseball game. He hadn't been to the ball field since he got sick, and we had concerns about him being able to walk the distance, navigate the crowds, and maneuver to his seat. (He refuses to use the wheelchair under any circumstances.)

So I got him some infield club tickets. Kind of expensive, but there is a private entrance and elevator, and scored seats on the aisle. Wish you could have seen his face this morning after the mailman came and he opened that envelope. So fun!

That's great, Melody. Hope you have a wonderful time.

That's great, Melody. Hope you have a wonderful time.

I know we will! Another surprise is that the kids bought tickets to come hang with their daddy. But he won't find that out until we get there. Our son is coming from out of town.

When they heard what I was up to, they wanted to be there for his triumphant return to the ballpark. Lol

When my family goes to Japan I am better able to do various home repair / improvement projects.

In any event, I get a great deal of satisfaction out of getting these jobs done.

I know we will! Another surprise is that the kids bought tickets to come hang with their daddy. But he won't find that out until we get there. Our son is coming from out of town.

When they heard what I was up to, they wanted to be there for his triumphant return to the ballpark. Lol

Fantastic!

When my family goes to Japan I am better able to do various home repair / improvement projects.

In any event, I get a great deal of satisfaction out of getting these jobs done.

My wife and kids are going to China for 5 weeks and I am remodeling the bathroom. Then I am purging all the accumulated crap with no one to veto what I want to trash.

Win.

My wife and kids are going to China for 5 weeks and I am remodeling the bathroom. Then I am purging all the accumulated crap with no one to veto what I want to trash.

Win.

Exactly.

And if you do a solid job they will love it when they come back. I've never taken flak for throwing something out or going a different way than she envisioned when the job was done well.

Exactly.

And if you do a solid job they will love it when they come back. I've never taken flak for throwing something out or going a different way than she envisioned when the job was done well.

She won't even notice. It's old boxes and old shoes that don't fit the kids anymore.

Someting, someting, something.......SHOES.......something, something, something.

You threw away shoes?!?!

screaming-woman.jpg

Wonderful!

....and cool as hell, Melody. :classic:

Neighborhood kickball game. Had 25 people show up (10 adults and 15 kids). It was a fantastic time and I hope it created a lifetime memory.

Kickball2015.jpg

Love that Biff! THAT is what kids should be doing on Saturday afternoons instead of TV and video games.

Love that Biff! THAT is what kids should be doing on Saturday afternoons instead of TV and video games.

The folks who own stock in Aleve are probably rather pleased as well! :)

Wonderful!

....and cool as hell, Melody. :classic:

Getting back to the game is wonderful! You did good!

Berkeley Breathed and Bloom County is apparently making a comeback.

Bill the Cat for President!

Getting back to the game is wonderful! You did good!

Had a great time, even if our team managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory during the 9th. A few funny moments. My husband (being male and all) took a notion that he wanted to try the escalator up to the second level. Getting on was okay as he could stand there and time his step on. Dismounting... hahahaha! Plus the hand rail ends before that last step. Oldest daughter's boyfriend (a kind individual of little faith LOL) positioned himself to catch husband in case. But he did okay on his own. He also decided to take the elevator down when the game was over.

We almost got beaned with foul balls twice. Joked that we needed to bring my husband's ball glove the next time, then realized that it fit his left hand so no help. Inspiration struck! My son has an old glove here, and he's a lefty. But that wouldn't work either because my husband needs his right hand to hold his beer. May put a batting helmet on him next time. (Kidding, AS IF he'd let me.)

He had a really great time, and as expensive as the tickets were in that section, it really was a perfect situation all around. Great view. Extra leg room. All the staff at the ballpark very solicitous. Just a few stairs to navigate if he isn't letting his y-chromosome overrule common sense. Nice waitress bringing drinks from the pub. Our oldest daughter and her boyfriend rode with us, and we're talking about going together to split the cost of a pair of season tickets in that section next season.

He truly had a wonderful day. And the look on his face when we got to the seats and he saw our son and youngest daughter already waiting for us ... priceless! We are a "baseball family," and it meant a whole lot. I think the folks here "get it" in a way that others might not.

Edited by Melody

Had a great time,.........................................He truly had a wonderful day. And the look on his face when we got to the seats and he saw our son and youngest daughter already waiting for us ... priceless! We are a "baseball family," and it meant a whole lot. I think the folks here "get it" in a way that others might not.
You express that feeling so well and it is sad so many will never experience the "joy" of the game rather than the "business". I could see the light towers of our stadium as I was rolled around for testing. It was so near and yet out of reach. I knew I would return for the first home game and of course I went down to my normal seating area in the sun while 94° and immediately paid the price. Yet I went back the next two nights with more sense.

I thank you Melody and if you ever make one of our local games, you and hubby will have the two best seats (I think) in our stadium.

My wife and sons stay with my wife's family in Japan in the summer and it has been a few weeks since I last saw them last.

I unexpectedly received some nice photos of them in Japan via email this morning from my brother in law.

Berkeley Breathed and Bloom County is apparently making a comeback.

Bill the Cat for President!

He has a Facebook and is putting up new strips every couple of days. New one this morning!