smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

We always enjoy the birds in our back yard, and have several feeders. Tonight we spotted a little owl perched on top of the hook to one feeder. So exciting! And it's a pretty good place for him to sit and hunt. The yards on all sides around us have a lot of large trees, but ours is cleared in the back. And we occasionally do see rodents running along the fence from back where the hillbillies live (have I told y'all about the hillbillies?) to raid the bird feeder near the fence.

Organic pest control!

I love owls. That must be so cool to see.

I love owls. That must be so cool to see.

It was! There was a ridiculous amount of excitement here over that owl. LOL

We're hoping his nest is nearby and that he'll be an evening regular. It would be so cool to be able to sit on the back porch in the late evening and watch him hunt. He doesn't seem afraid of us, was letting us shine a flashlight at him from the back porch to get a good look. Little guy. Maybe 8 to 10" tall? Super cute!

Just filed my taxes and will receive what is likely my last decent sized refund.

Edited by Walt

Just filed my taxes and will receive what is likely my last decent sized refund.
Our CPA says our refund will be a little past $700. When I was working, I tried to keep the cash in our hands rather than let it go to the government for their use all year. We put down hardwood in our kitchen and laundry room 5 years ago and it was a mistake. With a cushioning pad underneath, it holds water when spilled. Sink, dishwasher and washer will test the wood. Rather than expand it and press the seams tighter, the wood would shrink leaving gaps. I plan to go back to vinyl and the refund will cover it.

My daughter explaining to my wife what happened at the doctor's office yesterday: "I take a deep breath and listen to my heart beep."

Our CPA says our refund will be a little past $700. When I was working, I tried to keep the cash in our hands rather than let it go to the government for their use all year. We put down hardwood in our kitchen and laundry room 5 years ago and it was a mistake. With a cushioning pad underneath, it holds water when spilled. Sink, dishwasher and washer will test the wood. Rather than expand it and press the seams tighter, the wood would shrink leaving gaps. I plan to go back to vinyl and the refund will cover it.

My total refunds will be in the 5 figures range, so it will finally help us get some wiggle room, and make some bills go away.

As far as the wood goes, it would be great if some company would make a protectant for hard surfaces that would prevent such things from happening, wouldn't it? :^)

A new toy:

FatBoy.jpg

Looks nice, once I use google to find the picture.

My total refunds will be in the 5 figures range, so it will finally help us get some wiggle room, and make some bills go away.

As far as the wood goes, it would be great if some company would make a protectant for hard surfaces that would prevent such things from happening, wouldn't it? :^)

I wanted to seal it but was advised against it.

I wanted to seal it but was advised against it.

Was it hard wood or laminate?

I put 3 coats of poly on my hardwood. Was it because of the dampness in Florida they advised against it?

Poly what?

Poly what?

027426710320lg.jpg

I used this for a top on a workbench. I liked it, other than the cleanup.

ON EDIT: I must be too old, I didn't get the joke. :-(

They told me this would happen one day.

027426710320lg.jpg

I used this for a top on a workbench. I liked it, other than the cleanup.

ON EDIT: I must be too old, I didn't get the joke. :-(

They told me this would happen one day.

Wasn't a joke, I am a polymer chemist that works on protective coatings and "poly" is a rather vague term. Even polyurethane is vague and could mean one of literally millions of things.

I've installed a fair amount of floors back in the day. I don't ever recall putting cushion underneath hardwood flooring. It's generally 3/8 plank face nailed or 3/4 t&g groove nailed with wood subfloors and glued on slab foundations.

Laminate flooring gets the foam underlayment. And then there's engineered wood flooring.

I like them all for the right need. And hardwood always needs sanding, you can stain or slightly enhance the color and then sealed.

But not sure what they're doing nowadays, especially across the country. I'm talking specifically here in ca.

Wasn't a joke, I am a polymer chemist that works on protective coatings and "poly" is a rather vague term. Even polyurethane is vague and could mean one of literally millions of things.

There are soooo many products out there now.

Laminate flooring uses aluminum oxide iirc. It's very hard and makes the laminate flooring a great product. Just don't let water get underneath it.

There are soooo many products out there now.

Laminate flooring uses aluminum oxide iirc. It's very hard and makes the laminate flooring a great product. Just don't let water get underneath it.

I cannot comment much on this for obvious reasons, so let me ask you a question. How would water get under laminate flooring?

I cannot comment much on this for obvious reasons, so let me ask you a question. How would water get under laminate flooring?

When installing, you need to leave 1/4 inch space on some floors for expansion/contraction. At all edges. So installing next to cabinets or showers or exterior doors, you need to leave that gap and generally install some sort of quarter round to conceal the gap. Baseboard is also used.

Most people probably cringe at the thought of laminate in bathrooms or kitchens but I use it on a lot of rentals cuz it's so durable. Carpets get wasted. Vinyl gets damaged etc.

There is no perfect answer to use but I like the price of laminates and how durable it is. Simple to install.

Onmy own home, it's 3/4 t&g oak. Love it. Soft. It dents but you can fix with fillers or let the floor develop character with nicks, etc.

Laminates don't dent. Really hard.

Edited by yeahbuddy

Onmy own home, it's 3/4 t&g oak. Love it. Soft. It dents but you can fix with fillers or let the floor develop character with nicks, etc.

Mine is the same. I did a botched job staining though. Had to rip out laminate the previous owners had in the dining room that was connected to the kitchen which had the 3/4 white oak. It was totally the wrong color and style and looked like crap. I put in new 3/4 in the dining room, sanded it all down and stained it. If I ever need to do that again i am hiring someone. TONS of work on my hands and knees sanding the kitchen, entryway, stairs and a bedroom and also installing the 3/4 in the dining room and then staining the whole thing. I will never do it again.

Did you use a big drum sander? Heavy as heck. And a edge sander. I was the boss so is stood up with the drum and had help on their knees sanding edges.

I rarely attempted to change the color by staining but did use similar to wood color enhancers to bring out the grain. But in your case, it sounds like you had to do an all out staining to match. That is hard stuff to do. Especially when you have adjoining floors or floors right next to each other.

Edited by yeahbuddy

When installing, you need to leave 1/4 inch space on some floors for expansion/contraction. At all edges. So installing next to cabinets or showers or exterior doors, you need to leave that gap and generally install some sort of quarter round to conceal the gap. Baseboard is also used.

Most people probably cringe at the thought of laminate in bathrooms or kitchens but I use it on a lot of rentals cuz it's so durable. Carpets get wasted. Vinyl gets damaged etc.

There is no perfect answer to use but I like the price of laminates and how durable it is. Simple to install.

Laminates don't dent. Really hard.

No experience with liquids penetrating at the seams?

Did you use a big drum sander? Heavy as heck. And a edge sander. I was the boss so is stood up with the drum and had help on their knees sanding edges.

I rarely attempted to change the color by staining but did use similar to wood color enhancers to bring out the grain. But in your case, it sounds like you had to do an all out staining to match. That is hard stuff to do. Especially when you have adjoining floors or floors right next to each other.

triple 10" orbital, but I was on my knees most of the time with my little 5" Dewalt orbital. I never did it before and people kept scaring me about the drum sander. It would have been MUCH easier with the drum. I let them scare me out of using it. I sanded the kitchen and all other areas and then installed the new wood in the dining room and stained it all after. Installing hardwood is no joke.

No experience with liquids penetrating at the seams?

I have not. I have had fairly decent tenants. Knock on wood. But I tell them to wipe up standing water. Don't let water sit on the floor.

I had a house that had a fairly significant amount of water on it for about a half hour. Washer water level sensor went out and overfilled. We guess it was about a half hour and we mopped it up and everything was fine.

Maybe I've been lucky with the products I've purchased, but they seem to go together really tight. I don't overspend on the floors. Mostly Lowes or Home Depot.

Have I been lucky?