smr-nj

Things that put a smile on your face.... (keep it clean!)

Yesterday, during our Thanksgiving day together with family:

My grand-nephew (not quite 4 yrs old) exchanging trash-talking barbs with my sister (his Grandmother) about what BAD things were going to be in their respective Christmas stockings:

Grandma: "Oh yeah? Well, I'm pulling a bag of coal in your stocking"

kid: "Well, I'm putting a bag of poop in your stocking"

Grandma: "Yeah? Well, I'm putting smelly socks in yours"

kid: "I'm putting a diaper in yours" *** (This was particularly funny because we didn't know if he meant a used one from his 1 yr old brother, or a new one ..... and getting older, my sister wondered if it was one of those ADULT diapers)

Grandma: " Well... in that case , I'm putting used Q-tips in your stocking".

kid: " um... um.... well, I'm putting a book with NO PICTURES in yours!" (This was my favorite)

... it eventually degenerated into real silly 3 yr old stuff.... ahhh... it was great. :classic:

Music.

For example, this song by Phish. It's a song that describes an aspect of the relationship between Phish lead singer Trey Anastasio and his best friend and principal lyric writer, Tom Marshall. They have a tradition where each calls one another on every birthday and sings a song. As described in the song, "the only rule is it begins, Happy Happy Oh My Friend."

But yeah, if anything is going wrong, I turn on the tunes and it's usually strictly a Jerry song and my day is instantly better.

Good music puts a smile on my face. That's my answer.

2Mop5IjftUo

taking a good photo (when at least I think it is a good photo)

an especially meaningful time with the Lord

finding out that one of the ballplayers or their families enjoy the pictures I take

family and friends

Edited by whitecapwendy

Where I work this little girl -- five years old -- had used a rubber stamp, but I didn't know this.

She walked toward me and said: "Mr. Titus" and she was flipping me off. I thought what the heck, right or innocent, that is wrong.

"Look at my ring." she had rubber stamped on her middle finger and was showing me.

There are very few little kid stories, that come out of total innocence that don't make me smile

November 14th would have been my mom's 78th birthday. My sister took her granddaughter with her to the cemetery last week to put a grave blanket on my mom's grave. Bela, who's 4, says to my sister "Are we having cake at this birthday party or what?"

seeing the baby become a little boy has been such a complete joy. We were at my mom and dad's and my dad was watching football, shouting and gesturing and Will point at him, and shouted "lasdlkfjwo woeirun amsldmfn aaaah!" then laughed. Kid's got us all in his back pocket.

The neighbors across the street hang their yard lights. It's been 20 years since we had neighbors who took pride in the property. While we haven't met, we have exchanged pleasantries. They have done a very nice conservative job. I'll begin tomorrow, but I can't turn on the lights at the house until December. Just seems wrong to me. Usually it is the second week in Dec. for me but everything is set and ready.

A quiet Sunday puttering around the house, followed by our "Thanksgiving Dinner". Just the two of us (three if you count the dog). A little turkey, some dressing, sweet potatoes and Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish.

-the look on a child's face who is seeing something beautiful for the first time.

-the sound of my bf's voice on the phone.

-getting home after visiting relatives. As much as I love them, and as tiny as my apartment is, there's still nothing sweeter than home!

I would also like to add to my list:

Rainbows, unicorns, puppy dogs, llamas and beef stew.

Don't forget glitter.

The end of the hurricane season.......so good for so many. And yet, missing that drop in pressure as your ears pop in your own home. Sitting on the porch as the storm nears feeling every change in energy and absorbing the freshness the winds bring. Listening to the old pines scream as their aging roots are asked to do more than in their youth. Capturing a moment in time as the blackness is exposed by an arc of wonder. Those fleeting moments are rare and kept as dear as a relic of the past. So thank you Mother Nature; still I missed your majesty.

Edited by hueytaxi

Driving last night with my 3 year old and 5 year old in the car. They were SOOOO excited by every house with Christmas lights on them. The reaction was the same whether it was one colored light or a yard full. Couldn't knock the smile off my face.

Edited by davidsb

I smiled today when I saw our neighbors around the corner putting up their Christmas display. I was so happy to see they were using last year's theme because even though I drove by their house several times every day, I still chuckled every time I saw it.

Three large pieces of painted plywood edged with garland and those round lights, similar to what you might see on a stage. On each of them is one of those purchased life sized cutouts of Elvis Presley at different stages of his career. And a huge banner reading, "We three kings."