drownwithyou

Confirmed: Detroit Tigers agree to sign Victor Martinez

Maggs would be the perfect compliment to Victor. He can be the DH when Victor is catching, and play RF when he is DH. And a couple years down the road when Victor maybe can't catch, Maggs contract is up. Of course in that scenario you would still need to find someone to play RF the games when Maggs is DH.

Guillen upbeat for 2011 despite uncertainty | tigers.com: News

This article seems to indicate that Guillen should be healthy for the start of the season. But really, who knows. If he is healthy he is still a decent bat in the lineup.

The only thing that is certain is that he will end it on the DL. I thought I read something that suggested June, but I am wrong as much as I am right.

Source confirms report by Ignacio Serrano out of Venezuela that V. Martinez is close with #Tigers.
Rosenthal's Twitter.

This move only works if they get another of the top FA bats. Maggs and Martinez is not a successful offseason in my book, but Martinez and Crawford or Werth would be.

JMO, they won't, unless a bargain pops up in January. Not sure they'll re-sign Maggs.

Maggs would be the perfect compliment to Victor. He can be the DH when Victor is catching, and play RF when he is DH. And a couple years down the road when Victor maybe can't catch, Maggs contract is up. Of course in that scenario you would still need to find someone to play RF the games when Maggs is DH.

If there is only $ in the budget for 1 of Maggs/Crawford/Werth, Maggs is definitely 3rd on the list.

Rosenthal's Twitter.

There goes my theory that DD is glad this is leaking because he prefers wants Dunn to know he better take the offer quick or it will be gone and Martinez signed.

I understand people preferring Martinez's versatility over Dunn, but IMO both are primarily the DH and I think Dunn's bat fills what we need more than Martinez. Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer Martinez over any other DH type available as a FA, but I prefer Dunn.

Fun with Babelfish!

The receiver guayanés considers to the Tigers the most complete supply, comparing with the Red Averages, Average Blancas and Orioles. It will sign by $ 12.5 annual million.

Victor Martinez seems determined to sign with Detroit and shines imminent an announcement that ties to him until 2014 with the Tigers, unless it happens an unforeseen circumstance in the next hours, informed a source near the negotiations.

Martinez accepted the proposal of the bengalíes by four seasons and an annual wage of 12.5 million dollars, for a total package of 50 million. The source, that requested reserve, indicated that the felines offered the best combination enters wage and duration of the agreement.

One hopes that Martinez travels to the United States to be put under medical examinations and to be presented/displayed by the equipment, if the parts finally print their headings, as it is expected.

Guayanés wanted to agree by at least four years, one with respect to which has more offered the Red Averages, with those who his agent met yesterday. The Orioles has tried to become of their services and its more attractive proposal has been by four campaigns, but by 48 million dollars altogether. The Average White, added the source, surpassed to their competitors in the economic aspect, with 16 million annual dollars and 48 million in stock-market global, but solely by next the three championships.

Los Angeles also has participated in the negotiations, but they have been below the majority of the possible buyers. Several reports indicated in past days that the Rangers and the Rockies also were interested. FOXSports assured one week ago that Martinez is seen as “a priority” by the High Command of Detroit and the press in the City of the Motor authenticated like legitimate the interest of the Tigers in him, although apparently they see like receiver and designated him.

To Avila, recognized by his defense, but not yet by its batting, it will share behind the plate with the Venezuelan, in case this one is signed. Martinez will be in means of lineup with Miguel Cabrera and Carlos Guillén, in the hope of seeing if Magglio Ordonez returns to the Comerica Park. Ordo'6nez also is free agent and his agent Scott Boras has said that she has several proposals, originating of clubs of both leagues.

Best descriptions of the White Sox and the Tiger's brass ever.

Gotta love that he beat out the White Sox 48M offer!

Probably the Ozzie factor comes into play.

He evens scares other Venezuelans.

I do dislike that the Red Sox are going to probably get our 19th overall pick.

According to Callis, this is a down year for the draft.

JMO, they won't, unless a bargain pops up in January. Not sure they'll re-sign Maggs.

If they do not re-sign Maggs, and don't get another top bat, then our offense may very well be worse in 2011 than 2010. Martinez alone as the sole upgrade is simply not sufficient.

I do dislike that the Red Sox are going to probably get our 19th overall pick.

Yeah, it's what we have to deal with signing a Type A free agent. I'm more comfortable giving up our first round pick for Victor Martinez than I was for Jose Valverde -- I just don't like the idea of giving up such a high pick for a player that only sees around 60 innings of action per season.

I'd have rather had Dunn but don't think this is a crazy contract and there's no doubt V-Mart will help. The Tigers still have major holes in LF/RF and I have no clue how they fill them. Raburn/Maggs has to be worst case......and with this move my guess is that's what will happen given what seems to be the market options for Crawford (my guess LAA) and Werth (my guess BOS).

If they do not re-sign Maggs, and don't get another top bat, then our offense may very well be worse in 2011 than 2010. Martinez alone as the sole upgrade is simply not sufficient.

It replaces one of the worst offensive positions for the Tigers...at DH! It's quite an upgrade.

It replaces one of the worst offensive positions for the Tigers...at DH! It's quite an upgrade.

Yes, but the probem is that if we don't resign Maggs, RF risks going from one of our better offensive positions to one of our worst, so the net gain is neutral. We needed to add two impact bats this off-season to compete. Martinez is one, and at a minimum Maggs must be the other. A corner LF/RF rotation of Raburn/Wells/Thomas/Boesch is third place material.

Fun with Babelfish!

That's awesome.

One hopes that Martinez travels to the United States to be put under medical examinations and to be presented/displayed by the equipment

- yeah, I hope the first part, but the last part isn't something I'm anxious to see. :embar:

This is a good move and the one I expected. I like Martinez better than Dunn because he can play a position. I imagine he'll catch when the opponent has a left-hander on the mound. And if Avila fails, they have have a fall back. It would be great to see them pursue Crawford or Worth, but I believe they will end up with Ordonez. I would like to see them add another reliable starting pitcher, but so far it hasn't sounded like part of their plan.

Serrano says Martinez accepted the Tigers' offer, and there will be a deal barring an unforeseen event.

Does War with North Korea count as a an "unforseen event"?