drownwithyou

Confirmed: Detroit Tigers agree to sign Victor Martinez

You can't tell what half the guys on regular ESPN say either.

com_090421mlb_PowerRankings.jpg

Sadly, I think that MLB Network is also getting pretty bobble-headed lately.

If this is true what does it say about other possibilities? Do you still go after Werth or Crawford or Dunn with another 4 year deal on teh books? Do you even go after Dunn now that you have your primary DH, ignoring Guillen. Or do you aggressively go after Werth and Crawford now that you do have your DH? Or do you sign Maggs for a 2 year deal hoping he's still ok in the OF?

4/50 seems pretty reasonable. Not a bargain, but not outrageous since there reportedly have been a number of teams after him.

50 million. The Tigers just got done paying Robertson and Willis a combined 50 million (over 6 combined years). I predict the ROI on this will be a little better.

Or do you aggressively go after Werth and Crawford now that you do have your DH? Or do you sign Maggs for a 2 year deal hoping he's still ok in the OF?

I would say either of these. Hopefully some pitching help comes too at some point.

I don't see Crawford coming here. His price tag is double $50 mil. I just think it's a little high. I do think the Tigers are still in on the Dunn / Werth sweepstakes.

I'd be ok with Dunn.

The Tigers have thrown away so much money in the past. Just think about going all the way back to Higginson. Wasted cash. So even if they overpay a bit for Martinez and Dunn, chances are they'll both be in the lineup and serviceable - which is better than on the injured list or on another team.

Well I like it. I would like to see us do whatever it takes to get Crawford now, as well as find a way to bring back Maggilo.

Jackson

Crawford

Ordonez

Cabrera

Martinez (DH/C)

Guillen (I bet he starts the year at second)

Peralta

Inge

Avila

I dont know, lots of options. Anything could happen.

Who plays DH when Martinez and Dunn's defense gets worse/Avila catches?

I don't understand this question.

IMO, signing Martinez better eliminate Dunn (or vise versa). I think you make a strong push for Crawford or Werth. From what was said on MLB radio, the Tigers have the largest offer on the table for Crawford. I still think he ends up with the Angels, but would be thrilled to have him in left.

I would prefer Dunn over Martinez, but would be very happy with Martinez. I just don't want both of them unless Alex isn't going to get much time starting.

I don't understand this question.

2 DH's for one spot, if neither is capable defensively.

If we get Dunn, I can see him getting a lot of playing time in the outfield over the course of his contract. That would lead to a lot of broken TVs in the Detroit area. Nobody but TV salesmen benefit from signing Dunn.

I like Martinez. His bat is not as good as Dunn's obviously and his defense may not be much better either but he gives the Tigers more options for their bench.

Well I like it. I would like to see us do whatever it takes to get Crawford now, as well as find a way to bring back Maggilo.

Jackson

Crawford

Ordonez

Cabrera

Martinez (DH/C)

Peralta

Inge

Avila

Is guillen even going to be ready at the beginning of the season?

I would imagine it takes us off the Dunn market because of the positioning (DH). My hope is that we'll still land a premium corner OF (FA or trade), another SP candidate (even if it's a McCarthy-type reclamation project) and another RP.

If the Martinez thing happens, adding him and Benoit before we even reach December is a great start, especially since the Tigers probably still have a lot of money to work with.

Jackson

Crawford

Ordonez

Cabrera

Martinez (DH/C)

Peralta

Inge

Avila

I would be very happy with that lineup. If they offer Magglio a reasonable two year deal, I think he would take it. Maybe add a third year team option to scare away the Phillies.

This move only works if they get another of the top FA bats. Maggs and Martinez is not a successful offseason in my book, but Martinez and Crawford or Werth would be.

I would be very happy with that lineup. If they offer Magglio a reasonable two year deal, I think he would take it. Maybe add a third year team option to scare away the Phillies.

I really only want Magglio back if they don't get Crawford or Werth. I just see him ending up as a DH type sooner rather than later and whichever of Martinez/Dunn the Tigers end up with is going to be occupying that spot.