Deleterious

2011 NBA Draft

I want a closer look at Faried from Morehead St.

Something about him that makes me think he can be special in a Ben Wallace kind of way. He played well against Florida and Ohio St., and was just as good against them as he was against the typical jerk-off Low Major schools he regularly played against.

He is undersized (6-7 or 6-8, 225) but I would like a couple people here to watch him against Lousiville and tell me what you think. I am not saying we should take him top 5 or anything, but just a guy to keep on eye on. He could be special, like a more athletic Paul Milsap.

Edited by ScrubBeaterUpper

The draft may suck(though I find it unlikely, at worst it compares to last year), but either way, it has the elite guys at the top that would be worth it. Barnes and Irving will be superstars and Kanter is going to be a very good C in this league. Beyond that, some good players are emerging

Derrick Williams, P.Jones, Sullinger,Henson,Terrance Jones, the Morris twins, Valanciunas,Montejunias,Kawhi Leonard,Kemba Walker. That's a pretty solid lottery grouping IMO. Similar to your average year at least. Sure, there are flaws with all of them, but thats the way it typically goes. Guys like Plumlee, Jajuan Johnson,Brandon Knight,Jimmer and Jordan Hamilton could move up amonst others too.

Greg Monroe would be the #1 prospect by far in this draft I think. Irving/Barnes aren't on the same level as Wall/Favors/Turner/Cousins were.

Standings through 3/16. Technically, Indiana is in the playoffs by 1/2 a game over Charlotte. But to make it easier on me, I am not deleting and adding them any time they tie Charlotte.

Full Size

ti0IX.png

Faried is looking pretty good so far.

A young Ben Wallace? Not quite the shot blocking potential maybe but a little more offense.

I would love to put a guy like this next to Monroe.

Faried is looking pretty good so far.

Yah I'm starting to think I want him. His D and rebounding are just so excellent.I don't care if he ever gets a polished offensive game.

Are people sold on Jimmer yet?

So let me ask you, Pistons get a little lucky with the pingpong balls and you have maybe the 3rd overall pick. Do you take Jimmer? Or maybe Jared Sullinger? Sullinger's game is much like Monroe's. Good passing big man, good defeder, good rebounder. Shorter for sure! probably 6'7" or 6'8" I've watched all year and I can say he is one of the most poised freshman I have ever seen. Also one of the most unselfish players I have ever seen. I like him a lot, not sure how he would fit on the Pistons, but he is a talent!

I wouldn't take Jimmer with a 2nd round pick. We've seen this all before. How is he any different than Adam Morrison or Gordon Hayward?

With the 3rd pick there are a ridiculous amount of options. I'd flip a coin over Kemba or Derrick Williams.

Also I would be interested in acquiring a late first round pick from one of the teams that will be selling them (like always happens) Probably could get it for something cheap. You could add a guy like Faried or Singleton who could sure help our defensive game

I wouldn't take Jimmer with a 2nd round pick. We've seen this all before. How is he any different than Adam Morrison or Gordon Hayward?

How is he different than Stephen Curry?

So let me ask you, Pistons get a little lucky with the pingpong balls and you have maybe the 3rd overall pick. Do you take Jimmer? Or maybe Jared Sullinger? Sullinger's game is much like Monroe's. Good passing big man, good defeder, good rebounder. Shorter for sure! probably 6'7" or 6'8" I've watched all year and I can say he is one of the most poised freshman I have ever seen. Also one of the most unselfish players I have ever seen. I like him a lot, not sure how he would fit on the Pistons, but he is a talent!

No, I think that is too high for Jimmer. I'm thinking he is more likely to go 10-20 somewhere.

He would also be a bad fit for Detroit. He needs to go somewhere with a ball dominate SG and/or SF. I'm not saying Portland can/will draft him, but he needs a situation like that. Brandon Roy will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time, so Jimmer wont have to play a traditional PG role. He can stand at the 3pt line and wait for Roy to penetrate and kick or Aldridge to draw a double and kick, then bomb away from the outside.

Ford and Simmons were talking about Detroit drafting Sullinger and both said he would be a great fit with Monroe. I couldn't disagree more.

No, I think that is too high for Jimmer. I'm thinking he is more likely to go 10-20 somewhere.

He would also be a bad fit for Detroit. He needs to go somewhere with a ball dominate SG and/or SF. I'm not saying Portland can/will draft him, but he needs a situation like that. Brandon Roy will have the ball in his hands the majority of the time, so Jimmer wont have to play a traditional PG role. He can stand at the 3pt line and wait for Roy to penetrate and kick or Aldridge to draw a double and kick, then bomb away from the outside.

Ford and Simmons were talking about Detroit drafting Sullinger and both said he would be a great fit with Monroe. I couldn't disagree more.

Agreed. I mean, they would play alright together, but I think Monroe would thrive next to an athletic, shot blocking big guy. Looking at the draft, maybe someone like Henson or Valanciunas depending where we pick.

I have to say I am intrigued by Nolan Smith. I know he is a combo guard but I also realize that is probably the direction we are going to have to go unless we win the lottery and get Irving. Not a lottery pick though.

I might be Ok with Sullinger. Monroe provides poor inside scoring (at least as a dump in the post guy) isn't a great defender, needs help on the D boards, at some point with his limitations we need to ask "how perfect of a frontcourt mate" do we think we are going to get?

We need a low post scorer as much as we need a shot blocker. You ain't getting a low post scoring, shot blocking, dominant defensive rebounding, post defending machine. That guy would be a superstar, good luck finding him. If Sullinger is the BPA and can come in and give us a boost in a couple areas (scoring and rebounding) I say take him and keep looking for a boost in the remaining areas elsewhere. If Henson can't score but you truly think he can rebound and be tough enough to play in the post (I question him, but others here don't), take him and keep looking for a 3rd big that might be able to score. With Monroe, you are probably going to need 3 solid frontcourt players who all play 25+ minutes a night.

Are people sold on Jimmer yet?

He'd be a small 2, I don't think he will be able to get his shot off in the NBA very well, he's less athletic and shorter then Reddick. Probably won't be able to guard anybody either, they hide him in their defense.

I might be Ok with Sullinger. Monroe provides poor inside scoring (at least as a dump in the post guy) isn't a great defender, needs help on the D boards, at some point with his limitations we need to ask "how perfect of a frontcourt mate" do we think we are going to get?

We need a low post scorer as much as we need a shot blocker. You ain't getting a low post scoring, shot blocking, dominant defensive rebounding, post defending machine. That guy would be a superstar, good luck finding him. If Sullinger is the BPA and can come in and give us a boost in a couple areas (scoring and rebounding) I say take him and keep looking for a boost in the remaining areas elsewhere. If Henson can't score but you truly think he can rebound and be tough enough to play in the post (I question him, but others here don't), take him and keep looking for a 3rd big that might be able to score. With Monroe, you are probably going to need 3 solid frontcourt players who all play 25+ minutes a night.

I think you are writing off Monroe a bit much here. I think he will probably be a good post player, he's already a good defender and a good rebounder. You can't judge a big man's post game on his first year in the league, especially one who doesn't get any plays run for him, and plays with a bunch of needy ball hogs.

I think you are writing off Monroe a bit much here. I think he will probably be a good post player, he's already a good defender and a good rebounder. You can't judge a big man's post game on his first year in the league, especially one who doesn't get any plays run for him, and plays with a bunch of needy ball hogs.

Don't really see Monroe as a true center. Sullinger is 6'7, and would have to play PF. I'd rather see them take a guy like Kanter or Valanciunas, or a true point guard like Irving. Kemba is a combo guard. One that needs the ball a lot to be effective.

Yea, well depends on where they pick, Sullinger at 8-10 is probably a good value, Sullinger top 5 I probably would like. I'm also anti-Duke players for the most part, especially guards because of Duke's system.

That's a pretty negative assessment of Monroe. He's very skilled and I think he'll be a guy who can run the high post for you if not be a dump down to the low block type. He's been a good rebounder and defender for us this year too, much more active defensively than I thought.