Deleterious

2011 NBA Draft

Ooh boy, the rise of Biyombo continues. Go get him Joe! Fall in love like you did with Cousins! Except have it be the right guy this time, haha(I much prefer Monroe)

Been reported in a million places, but Morris is staying in draft. Guessing he has a promise of some sort for the first round. I think it is highly unlikely the Pistons could get him with their 2nd pick.

Yup, gotta move up. Promises usually end up being false though, I've seen too many of them

As far as the Pistons, I'm pretty sure of one thing in the draft. We will be drafting a PF, one who compliments Monroe well in one way or the other. There are too many available to go in another direction. Vessely is a 6'11 Kirilenko(AK is 6'9) and would provide the length,athleticism and especially nasty demeanor we need from that spot. Tristan Thompson is an athletic shot blocker who will be looked at there as well. We all know about Biyombo of course. Markieff Morris and Faried will probably both be looked at thanks to their size,strength,defense and rebounding, though they both will probably go late or post lottery in the end as they have low ceilings. Montejiunas could also be an option as he is probably Europe's best post scorer and he is 7', strong and skilled. I don't see us going for Valanciunas in the end. He reminds me of someone like Kaman. Not that I wouldn't like to have Kaman, but he's not the best bet to pair with Monroe probably. Kanter is an option if he falls too, as he is another Al Horford probably.

Terrance Jones may be most intriguing. Highest floor, lowest ceiling arguably. Work ethic questions and what not, but he has the potential to be a Lamar Odom/Josh Smith hybrid. Sick athleticism,shotblocking and wingspan and great handles. Has to work on his strength,discipline,motor,jump shot and defensive footwork though. Hell of a talent though, a type that isn't usually there at 7. I envy Cleveland having 2 picks in this draft. Not a great draft, but a year where I'd love to be able to gamble on a couple of the guys available in the top 10.

Edited by Nastradamus

Not a great draft.....

The last great draft - at least in the top ten, was 2003 (when we whiffed on the one guy not worth taking, Darko).

Great drafts ended, years ago.

The last great draft - at least in the top ten, was 2003 (when we whiffed on the one guy not worth taking, Darko).

Great drafts ended, years ago.

Agreed. I just want another Monroe like talent this year.

When you are picking mid to lower lottery, that is really all you can hope for. At some point though, the Pistons need to win the lottery and draft an impact player to turn this franchise around.

I think Darius Morris' draft slot will shock us all. There are no PGs in this draft, especially pass first PGs(after Irving). That will lift his stock a lot by itself, plus Morris is looking good in workouts. He has NBA size and playmaking ability, shows potential as a defender and shooter and has a great work ethic and attitude. He goes somewhere between the end of the lottery and pick 20.

We need someone to take the wrong guy again like GS did with Udoh.

Chad Ford is raving about the workouts Josh Selby is having in Vegas the past few days. Says he expects him to rise up the board quite a bit.

I love Selby as an NBA player a lot more than a college player. Has some Gilbert Arenas in him.

I agree. He has a chance to be a great NBA player. There were attitude concerns coming out of high school and that is a concern. But he has tremendous upside and I was surprised he struggled as much as he did at Kansas last year.

I think Darius Morris' draft slot will shock us all. There are no PGs in this draft, especially pass first PGs(after Irving). That will lift his stock a lot by itself, plus Morris is looking good in workouts. He has NBA size and playmaking ability, shows potential as a defender and shooter and has a great work ethic and attitude. He goes somewhere between the end of the lottery and pick 20.

I think he will do fine in the NBA but he still looks better as a backup than a starter in my mind.

Did anyone see the article from Doug Gottlieb on Insider the other day? He had the Derrick Williams going #7. Tristan Thompson #3. Chris Singleton #4. Kenneth Faried #6. He had Biyombo #13 and Kemba Walker #17.

Did anyone see the article from Doug Gottlieb on Insider the other day? He had the Derrick Williams going #7. Tristan Thompson #3. Chris Singleton #4. Kenneth Faried #6. He had Biyombo #13 and Kemba Walker #17.

I did. Its getting more and more difficult to take anything Gottlieb says seriously. The thing is, he is always like this, always has ridiculous opinions and projections for players. He is a disaster on the radio as well.

I think he will do fine in the NBA but he still looks better as a backup than a starter in my mind.

Dont agree here. Morris, if he continues to improve, will be a legit starting PG in the NBA. His size and playmaking making ability just set him apart.

It wasn't a mock, just what his board would look like. It was obviously written for effect too. Does he think Faried is the 6th best player in the draft? No, but he's very unlikely to not be, at the very worst, a 25 minute a game big man in the league for a long time. Probably a starting PF. Limited upside maybe, but that's not half bad. You can't teach motor.

It wasn't a mock, just what his board would look like. It was obviously written for effect too. Does he think Faried is the 6th best player in the draft? No, but he's very unlikely to not be, at the very worst, a 25 minute a game big man in the league for a long time. Probably a starting PF. Limited upside maybe, but that's not half bad. You can't teach motor.

He did preface the article by stating it was his big board and who he would draft if he were running a team so I think it is fair to say it is his mock if position needs are not taken into consideration.

I don't really take anything Gottlieb says seriously anymore.

He did preface the article by stating it was his big board and who he would draft if he were running a team so I think it is fair to say it is his mock if position needs are not taken into consideration.

I don't really take anything Gottlieb says seriously anymore.

That was my understanding as well.

Seems like the PG class is really improving it's stock lately. Could be good for us in 2 ways. One, Walker and Knight may both go in front of us, pushing a big we want(ideally out of Vessely,Kanter,Biyombo) down to us and two, we may be able to fill our PG hole in the late first or early 2nd. We have the 33rd pick and another 2nd, so both, possibly plus cash, would get us in the first easily(many teams would much rather have the 2 2nds as you get 2 guys of similar talent and no guaranteed contract).

Morris - we've discussed him but he has impressed with his playmaking,athleticism(supposedly put on a show for scouts, throwing down some of the hardest dunks of any prospects) and especially work ethic and leadership skills.

Reggie Jackson - You MUST be able to defend this new breed of NBA PGs and like Morris, Jackson shows that ability. He's 6'3 but has a ridonkulous 7' wingspan, solid quickness and athleticism, improving PG skills and a good enough(and improving) jump shot.

Malcolm Lee - 6'5 with a variety of skills. Played off the ball and looked kind of akward at UCLA, but the same can be said of Holliday and Westbrook in college. A team will have to analyze whether they think he can make a similar transition if allowed to play more freely. Another guy with potential to defend the Rose's of the world.

Josh Selby - Reminds me some of Gilbert Arenas, maybe Monta Elliss. Very good scorer with range out past the 3 line. Long arms and athleticism give him potential at SG. Not a pure PG, maybe could be paired with Stuckey though. Stock is soaring, some say he might go lottery now.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to get keep some conversation going. Everyone seems to want a PG, but we aren't likely to get one at 7 IMO, so its nice to know there are some options. A supposedly terrible PG class is looking like just the opposite all of a sudden, especially depending how you view Knight/Walker.

Seems like the PG class is really improving it's stock lately. Could be good for us in 2 ways. One, Walker and Knight may both go in front of us, pushing a big we want(ideally out of Vessely,Kanter,Biyombo) down to us and two, we may be able to fill our PG hole in the late first or early 2nd. We have the 33rd pick and another 2nd, so both, possibly plus cash, would get us in the first easily(many teams would much rather have the 2 2nds as you get 2 guys of similar talent and no guaranteed contract).

Morris - we've discussed him but he has impressed with his playmaking,athleticism(supposedly put on a show for scouts, throwing down some of the hardest dunks of any prospects) and especially work ethic and leadership skills.

Reggie Jackson - You MUST be able to defend this new breed of NBA PGs and like Morris, Jackson shows that ability. He's 6'3 but has a ridonkulous 7' wingspan, solid quickness and athleticism, improving PG skills and a good enough(and improving) jump shot.

Malcolm Lee - 6'5 with a variety of skills. Played off the ball and looked kind of akward at UCLA, but the same can be said of Holliday and Westbrook in college. A team will have to analyze whether they think he can make a similar transition if allowed to play more freely. Another guy with potential to defend the Rose's of the world.

Josh Selby - Reminds me some of Gilbert Arenas, maybe Monta Elliss. Very good scorer with range out past the 3 line. Long arms and athleticism give him potential at SG. Not a pure PG, maybe could be paired with Stuckey though. Stock is soaring, some say he might go lottery now.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to get keep some conversation going. Everyone seems to want a PG, but we aren't likely to get one at 7 IMO, so its nice to know there are some options. A supposedly terrible PG class is looking like just the opposite all of a sudden, especially depending how you view Knight/Walker.

I may have posted this before but Malcolm Lee had one of the more impressive defensive performances I have seen against Kalin Lucas. I would not mind taking him in the second round. If he is as good as he looked in that game, he could be very valuable against the likes of Rose, Rondo, and Wade. The Lakers should really take him in the first round.

It is annoying to me the Pistons were not able to pick up any extra picks at the trade deadline. If there are opportunities still there, we have to take them.

Edit: The Lakers don't even have a first round pick.

I will be watching, and hoping the Pistons get some luck and move up. Top 3 would be great. There are some good players out there.