Deleterious

2011 NBA Draft

Biyombo/Morris is my dream draft and with our high 2nd we can get Morris probably or even move up for him with our other 2nd.

The problem is, I want Morris to go back, so..............haha

Thank goodness Tristan Thompson has changed his mind and is entering the draft. I like him a lot and would love to have him at #7.

If the Pistons could add another mid round pick, I also think Tyler Honeycutt is a sleeper. I was shocked at how talented he is when I saw UCLA against State. I think he has the talent and skill of a top five pick but just lacks the drive and is almost unselfish to a fault.

Blocks aren't everything.

Yeah, but making a guy change his shot .. like Ben Wallace use to do, when we first got him from Orlando .. is.

Yeah, but making a guy change his shot .. like Ben Wallace use to do, when we first got him from Orlando .. is.

And this is the key. Teams take 80 shots a game and someone like Dwight Howard is lucky to block 3, its not that big of a deal. What we don't know is how many of those 80 shots did Howard alter. Either physically by attempting to block it or just mentally knowing such a good shot blocker is around.

How many teams went into the paint against the Pistons and tossed up bad shots because Ben and Sheed were lurking? We will never know, but I bet its a big advantage of a team like the current Pistons. Against the current team you can go in the paint all day and not have to worry about anyone blocking a shot.

I disagree. Its great and very helpful, but not everything. Its not like 2 6'11 guys who can move aren't going to change shots and stop guys from getting easy shots in the lane. Defense is about your feet, your position. I wouldn't pass on a very good big man prospect over this problem is all I'm saying, not that I don't value blocks at all.

So it looks like it will be a choice between Biyombo, Tristan Thompson, and Brandon Knight at the 7th pick.

I'd take Biyombo, but the other choices would be cool as well. This draft is actually very interesting.

The deadline to declare for the draft has passed. So players like Sullinger are going back to school. The deadline to withdraw is May 8th for college players and June 13th for international players.

And this is the key. Teams take 80 shots a game and someone like Dwight Howard is lucky to block 3, its not that big of a deal. What we don't know is how many of those 80 shots did Howard alter. Either physically by attempting to block it or just mentally knowing such a good shot blocker is around.

How many teams went into the paint against the Pistons and tossed up bad shots because Ben and Sheed were lurking? We will never know, but I bet its a big advantage of a team like the current Pistons. Against the current team you can go in the paint all day and not have to worry about anyone blocking a shot.

Great post! And don't forget about Tayshuan on help D! They altered many shots back then.

Altering someone's shot is so crucial on defense, especially those guards who penetrate the hole.

So it looks like it will be a choice between Biyombo, Tristan Thompson, and Brandon Knight at the 7th pick.

I'd take Biyombo, but the other choices would be cool as well. This draft is actually very interesting.

I still think you have to consider Kemba Walker if he is available. I understand the criticisms: volume scorer, not a true point guard, average outside shooter. But when you watch him play, it is hard not to imagine him being a very good player in the NBA. I really like him off the ball and if we are going to be stuck with Stuckey as our point guard for awhile, I think Walker makes some sense as a backcourt mate.

I still think you have to consider Kemba Walker if he is available. I understand the criticisms: volume scorer, not a true point guard, average outside shooter. But when you watch him play, it is hard not to imagine him being a very good player in the NBA. I really like him off the ball and if we are going to be stuck with Stuckey as our point guard for awhile, I think Walker makes some sense as a backcourt mate.

I agree completely. I mean, how often does the clear best player in college not become a good NBA player? He put his team on his back to a title (which I correctly predicted-- I'm still patting myself on the back :classic:) and it reminds me of what Carmelo did those years ago.

Kemba would be a highly criticized pick (3rd UConn SG on the roster?!) but I think he would be a great pick and most likely a better option moving forward than Stuckey (as long as we're going to have a combo masquerading as PG).

Well, Kemba is a PG if he comes to the NBA and plays any sort of significant minutes. He is no SG by any means. He is a scorer first, but he will probably never play an NBA minute at the 2. He either learns the position, becomes a Will Bynum type off the bench or fails out of the NBA because he can't play the 2.

A lot of top college players don't become good for the record. Adam Morrison is a great example and I gotta think there are some undersized scoring 1s we can come up with that didn't transition well to the NBA. Dee Brown(or Head) was the best player on a great Illinois team, but Deron Williams was the stud in the pros. A.J. Guyton is a good example.

I agree completely. I mean, how often does the clear best player in college not become a good NBA player?

I don't know about clearly, he didn't win the Wooden or Naismith awards. Certainly the last month of the season the kid was hot, and I have come around I was a little worried he was Brandon Jennings with a better haircut. But like Brandon Knight you are still hoping he develops into point/lead guard that you can rely on to make consistently good decesions, he doesn't seem like a big upgrade over Stuckey.

This is my order of preference for the Pistons:

1.Irving - Probably never will be on the level of a Wall, Rose, Paul, Rondo or Williams but if Detroit won the lottery I wouldn't trade the him for Westbrook or just about any other point guard.

2.Williams - A little short, but in this draft a poor man's Blake Griffin seems like a great value.

3. Biyombo - I just don't believe he is that much older than 18 because it seems damn near impossible to hide all that length and athleticism for that long. Went back and watched some Saer Sene highlights to dampen my expectations for him a bit, didn't work. I can't get past BB's explosion and quickness and enthusiasm on the court.

4. Kanter - Hasn't played in a year but if he would've played at Kentucky I don't think we have a shot at 7.

5. Walker - I go back and forth because of Knight's size, Walker is so much better with the ball, and for a point guard that's everything.

6. Knight - Not a huge fan but in this draft one of the few remaining kids with potential to be an All-Star and at a position of need. Pounds the ball too much, not a natural passer.

7. Valanciunas - He's a wildcard to me, Ford and DraftExpress love him. I don't quite see it, the youtube I watch of him he isn't a prototypical Euro big. He doesn't have a great face up game, doesn't run the court particularly well, he hacks on defense. His team does a good job getting him open looks but I didn't see much of him getting ball with his back to the basket. He can catch the ball well in traffic and goes up with it effectively, will rebound and his length will effect some shots.

8. Kwahi Leonard - I wouldn't kill Joe on this pick, young athletic with good size but he's a bit of project for a #7. I would look at Terrance Jones in the same way.

Morris twins and Thompson seem like they will make solid pro's but don't excite me. If this were the NFL and there were value in trading back then these guys would be options.

Veesly, and Burkes don't seem like options they are good enough for Joe to add to his log jams at the 2 and the stretch 4.

Edited by tigerz

I would trade Irving for Westbrook in a heartbeat.

Part of that is contract the other part is I don't think Irving would ever throw up 30 shots making 12 with Kevin Durant standing next to him in a playoff game. You're probably right though, that's a big jump off my freshest memory but he was horrible down the stretch the other night. Westbrook is very young and super talented but he's still a pretty mediocre shooter and his assist number are helped a lot by Durant.

I don't ever watch OKC but everything I read on the internet and hear from the media raves about Westbrook. He must be pretty freakin' amazing.

I definitely like Irving a lot more than John Wall but I never liked Wall as much as others. I loved Rose coming out of college but like Irving a touch more because while Rose has the strength/finishing advantage, I think Irving is a better passer, shooter, ball handler, and is quicker. Rose is more explosive but Irving is an elite athlete; just a different kind of elite athlete.

I don't know about clearly, he didn't win the Wooden or Naismith awards. Certainly the last month of the season the kid was hot, and I have come around I was a little worried he was Brandon Jennings with a better haircut. But like Brandon Knight you are still hoping he develops into point/lead guard that you can rely on to make consistently good decesions, he doesn't seem like a big upgrade over Stuckey.

This is my order of preference for the Pistons:

1.Irving - Probably never will be on the level of a Wall, Rose, Paul, Rondo or Williams but if Detroit won the lottery I wouldn't trade the him for Westbrook or just about any other point guard.

2.Williams - A little short, but in this draft a poor man's Blake Griffin seems like a great value.

3. Biyombo - I just don't believe he is that much older than 18 because it seems damn near impossible to hide all that length and athleticism for that long. Went back and watched some Saer Sene highlights to dampen my expectations for him a bit, didn't work. I can't get past BB's explosion and quickness and enthusiasm on the court.

4. Kanter - Hasn't played in a year but if he would've played at Kentucky I don't think we have a shot at 7.

5. Walker - I go back and forth because of Knight's size, Walker is so much better with the ball, and for a point guard that's everything.

6. Knight - Not a huge fan but in this draft one of the few remaining kids with potential to be an All-Star and at a position of need. Pounds the ball too much, not a natural passer.

7. Valanciunas - He's a wildcard to me, Ford and DraftExpress love him. I don't quite see it, the youtube I watch of him he isn't a prototypical Euro big. He doesn't have a great face up game, doesn't run the court particularly well, he hacks on defense. His team does a good job getting him open looks but I didn't see much of getting ball with his back to the basket. He can catch the ball well in traffic and goes up with it effectively, will rebound and his length will effect some shots.

8. Kwahi Leonard - I wouldn't kill Joe on this pick, young athletic with good size but he's a bit of project for a #7. I would look at Terrance Jones in the same way.

Morris twins and Thompson seem like they will make solid pro's but don't excite me. If this were the NFL and there were value in trading back then these guys would be options.

Veesly, and Burkes don't seem like options they aren't good enough for Joe to add to his long jams at the 2 and the stretch 4.

Agree about Jones and Leonard. I think #7 is too high for both of them.

I would take Burke if he is good enough. I don't think the Pistons are in a position to turn down anybody at any position. Hamilton and Gordon are not part of our future.

On Burke, I agree, I haven't seen enough to pass a judgement but it seems like there is as talented guys at positions of need. Part of the cause of the revolt last year was too many guys playing the same positions. Unless you feel like you can dump at least Gordon or Hamilton (unlikely) it's a really tough spot to put the kid and the coach.

I don't ever watch OKC but everything I read on the internet and hear from the media raves about Westbrook. He must be pretty freakin' amazing.

Once Westbrook and Durant figure out that their teammates OKC will start to win championships. They just recently started running a high pick and roll.

I'm not trying to knock Irving when I say I would trade him for Westbrook. I really like Irving. But I'm not sure his ceiling is anything higher than Westbrook. Assuming their isn't a huge gap in age, I will usually take the player already developed over the one that might develop. Irving would have to project as a much better player than Westbrook for me to keep him.

People most not watch too much OKC if there is a debate between Irving and Westbrook. Westbrook is a flat out stud, and his numbers arent inflated by Durant. Watch their games, they havent even learned to play together yet.

Del, is there a stat for assist rate per player? Like what is the assist rate for Westbrook to Durant compared to Nash/Lopez...or whomever?

Twitter

Players confirmed at workout include Reggie Jackson, Tyler Honeycutt, Darius Morris, Tu Holloway, Corey Joseph, Isaiah Thomas, Scotty Hopson

This is the workout in NJ. Supposedly they will go full 5-on-5.

Twenty NBA Teams Attend Kentucky Combine - RealGM Wiretap

Twenty NBA Teams Attend Kentucky Combine

John Calipari is hosting a Kentucky combine. Wildcats Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones, DeAndre Liggins, and Josh Harrelson will go through private workouts conducted by NBA personnel.

"I don't know of any other way we can get these young people the information they need," Calipari said. "They don't have the time to work out for three or four teams, and we just need to know what's out there and what's not for them to make the decisions."

NBA personnel from 20 teams rolled into the Joe Craft Center on Monday to check out Knight, Jones, Liggins and senior Josh Harrelson. Included in that group was former Kentucky Mr. Basketball Allan Houston, now an assistant GM with the New York Knicks. Calipari noted that the NBA personnel consisted of mostly general managers and directors of player personnel.

"These are guys who are going to make decisions," Calipari said. "There's not a bunch of scouts here."