Deleterious

2011 NBA Draft

I think my choices are down to, if we don't get a top 3, Kanter if he somehow falls and Biyombo, even if he's 23 or something. He might be the biggest Darko style bust ever but its been a while since I've seen anyone with the potential to become the type of player he can be at his absolute ceiling. His demeanor,length and athleticism are what we are searching for very specifically. He can be a bigger Josh Smith, without the jacked up 3s.

NBA Approves Large Draft Workout For Early May - RealGM Wiretap

NBA Approves Large Draft Workout For Early May

The NBA has approved a large group workout for May 7 and 8 in New Jersey, according to sources.

The workout is intended to give underclassmen who have not hired an agent an opportunity to get before all 30 teams.

Sources say the workout will be a 5-on-5 format.

Love the idea, but hate the dates. Isn't May 8th the withdraw deadline for underclassman?

Biyombo will most definitely be available at #7.

If the draft were held today, I think we would be in good shape but these types of players are fast risers.

For me, I think the only 3 players I would definitely take ahead of him are Irving, Williams, and Barnes. After that, I think there is a lot of fluidity in the rankings of potential lottery picks.

I think my choices are down to, if we don't get a top 3, Kanter if he somehow falls and Biyombo, even if he's 23 or something. He might be the biggest Darko style bust ever but its been a while since I've seen anyone with the potential to become the type of player he can be at his absolute ceiling. His demeanor,length and athleticism are what we are searching for very specifically. He can be a bigger Josh Smith, without the jacked up 3s.

Kanter is an intriguing prospect but as many have pointed out already, if we draft a guy like Kanter to pair with Monroe, we are going to have almost no shot blocking inside.

We'll have 2 6'11 guys who move well up front, we may not get a ton of shot blocks, but we still should be plenty able to defend the paint. Blocks aren't everything.

Barnes To Stay At North Carolina For Sophomore Season - RealGM Wiretap

Barnes To Stay At North Carolina For Sophomore Season

Harrison Barnes will remain at North Carolina for his sophomore season and not declare for the 2011 NBA Draft.

"As an 18-year old, I'm in the early stages of my life journey," Barnes said. "I'm honored and blessed for the chance to play in the NBA. And because of my family, teachers, passion, and work, I have the ultimate dream of one day playing and experiencing a fulfilling career in the NBA.

"Opportunities, both beneficial and life changing, can seem to make the next phase of my journey an easy decision. But I am a student-athlete at the University of North Carolina. I'm here to experience college life, grow as a person, receive a quality education, and be part of the greatest basketball family in college sports.

"The experiences I've enjoyed on and off the court will be invaluable. These experiences will help fuel my journey in the NBA and beyond.

"I look forward to meeting the challenging journey in the NBA, but my decision on November 13, 2009, still holds true. I'm focused on being a student-athlete. And my decision is to continue this part of my journey at the University of North Carolina.

"As a team, we're preparing for a special season. My off-season plans are to diligently work on honing my basketball skills in all areas with one team-goal in mind -- to bring the 2012 national championship home to UNC."

Stuff like this continues to hurt the Pistons if they dont get a lucky draw in the lottery.

Most believe the 2012 draft was going to be loaded and deep. I guess there are a good crop of HS seniors right now and some international players. With all these guys going back to school, it will be that much deeper/talented.

Of course, I keep hearing they might make it 2 years and done in college now with the new CBA. So that could change things pretty fast.

Yah, next year should be good. Barnes probably won't go #1 as I think Anthony Davis is a BEAST! He'll also compete with a number of other guys such as his teammate, Mcadoo, Perry Jones and others.

I saw that, wonder if its true. Either way, he doesn't have to be 18 for me to draft him by any means.

As long as he is not like 23 or 24 or something...

I would say my top two choices if we stick at #7 right now are Biyombo and Kemba Walker. If not one of those two, I don't really like to even think about what our other options are. Maybe Kanter will work out well and be an option. Vesley intrigues me somewhat as well.

If Minnesota wins the lottery, I would also look to offer them a trade for the rights to Rubio, starting with our #7 pick.

As long as he is not like 23 or 24 or something...

I would say my top two choices if we stick at #7 right now are Biyombo and Kemba Walker. If not one of those two, I don't really like to even think about what our other options are. Maybe Kanter will work out well and be an option. Vesley intrigues me somewhat as well.

If Minnesota wins the lottery, I would also look to offer them a trade for the rights to Rubio, starting with our #7 pick.

I'd have no problem going hard for Rubio myself. His stats were awful this year, but that's kind of typical of PGs in that league I hear.

I'd have no problem going hard for Rubio myself. His stats were awful this year, but that's kind of typical of PGs in that league I hear.

Rubio isn't really that much of a prospect anymore, he's too small/weak and still can't shoot.

Draft sites will always list someone with his size as a PG/SG. I think people read that and just assume he is a combo guard and don't understand those sites are merely listing all the positions he could play.

I doubt there are any NBA scouts/GM's who consider him anything other than a PG.

Biyombo will most definitely be available at #7.

I watched the Hoop Summit before the Tigers game on Sunday, I think Biyombo will be the first foreign player selected. I can see Irving, Williams, Walker, Knight and Jones going ahead of him but that's it as far as college kids. The only way he is there at #7 is if one of the teams ahead of them falls in love with another foreign big.

I watched the Hoop Summit before the Tigers game on Sunday, I think Biyombo will be the first foreign player selected. I can see Irving, Williams, Walker, Knight and Jones going ahead of him but that's it as far as college kids. The only way he is there at #7 is if one of the teams ahead of them falls in love with another foreign big.

Depends on how the lottery goes. Assuming the order stays as it is now, I think Valanciunas or maybe Kanter will be the first foreign player picked. Toronto picks #3 and Colangelo just said he wants to pair a legit 5 with Bargnani. Either one of those guys would probably provide that.

You all may be right about Biyombo:

NBA draft 2011: If Minnesota Timberwolves draft on need Bismack Biyombo could go No. 1 overall - ESPN

Even with all the high draft picks and some free-agent acquisitions, the Wolves have holes at every position except whatever spot Kevin Love plays. Though they still own the rights to Ricky Rubio and sit on a very disappointing -- but talented -- Jonny Flynn, the Wolves clearly will have to consider taking Kyrie Irving, of course. But pairing up your best player with a complementary one makes sense, and if the Wolves decide to go that route, they'll have to consider Bismack Biyombo.

If you think he's too raw a talent to go No. 1, you're wrong. Think of it like this: He averages 6 and 5 with more than two blocks a game while playing in Spain's top division, which is the second-best basketball league in the world after the NBA. And he does that while playing less than half the game. It's a league far more rugged than college. How would Irving fare over there in 17 minutes?

Biyombo pairs up perfectly with Love, as his above-the-rim game and high intensity matches up with Love's solid positional defense and calm demeanor. BB would give the Wolves a constant threat in the paint to dunk anything he touched while allowing Love to float outside for his great jumper. And they would form one of the top rebounding tandems in the league. His energy alone would help Love and every other player on the team. Flynn, Wes Johnson and Love all want lots of touches and shots, and BB could excel just playing off their misses. The two players he's always compared to are Ben Wallace and Kevin Garnett.

Its an insider article FYI.

Rubio isn't really that much of a prospect anymore, he's too small/weak and still can't shoot.

The shot is a problem but I don't know how you can be worried about his size/strength. He is 6'3 and not even 21 years old.

I can only hope scouts are down on Rubio because they the price will be lower and the Pistons can steal him from Minnesota.

Depends on how the lottery goes. Assuming the order stays as it is now, I think Valanciunas or maybe Kanter will be the first foreign player picked. Toronto picks #3 and Colangelo just said he wants to pair a legit 5 with Bargnani. Either one of those guys would probably provide that.

Vessely's in that mix too. Valanciunas may have contract issues though which could drop him. We'll have to see if Biyombo's stock holds up between now and the draft. I'm very intrigued by him though.

Draft sites will always list someone with his size as a PG/SG. I think people read that and just assume he is a combo guard and don't understand those sites are merely listing all the positions he could play.

I doubt there are any NBA scouts/GM's who consider him anything other than a PG.

So now the question is, will he make it out of the first round? I'd be more than happy coming out of this draft addressing two needs with Biyombo & Morris.