Deleterious

2011 NBA Draft

I like Faried, but wouldn't take him as high as we're going to be picking. Biyombo looks & sounds good, but really who knows. I really wouldn't mind taking Morris in the 2nd, but he's still another combo guard, but hey, that's right up Joe D's alley.

sigh. Darius Morris is really high on those draft boards. I don't think he's coming back.

On the other hand, Kalin Lucas isn't even ON the draft boards, which is surprising considering how he's so much better than Morris...

Draft Express has him at #45.

I like Faried, but wouldn't take him as high as we're going to be picking. Biyombo looks & sounds good, but really who knows. I really wouldn't mind taking Morris in the 2nd, but he's still another combo guard, but hey, that's right up Joe D's alley.

Morris is not a combo guard, at all.

I wouldn't take Faried higher than 15 or so.

I'd take the gamble on Biyombo at 7. The draft isn't that good and his upside equals exactly the player we are looking for next to Monroe. An athletic, high energy defensive oriented big with good length and a great attitude. Has offensive potential too, could be more KG than Wallace, or at least halfway between. Who else are we going to get that highly improves the team?

Kemba Walker of Connecticut Huskies to enter NBA draft - ESPN

Kemba Walker declares for NBA draft

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut's Kemba Walker says the school's decision to put his name and number on the wall of its basketball arena helped him decide it was time to head to the NBA.

"I think from that point out it did, because it was like coach just kicked me out," the junior All-American said. "It says 2008 to 2011 [on the banner], so it was like he's [saying], 'Let's get him out of here.' "

Walker announced Tuesday he will enter the June draft. He said he has not hired an agent, but has been talking to them.

"There's no chance that I'm coming back," Walker said before joking: "Coach, like he said, he doesn't have a scholarship for me."

The 6-foot-1 guard led the Huskies to a 32-9 record, including an 11-0 postseason run that ended with a national championship. Walker is expected to be a first-round pick, and perhaps the second guard chosen behind Duke's Kyrie Irving.

Walker said he's been motivated by criticism that he's too short and won't be able to guard players in the NBA.

"Hopefully, I can go into the NBA and once again prove all the doubters wrong, like I've been doing my whole life" he said.

Walker averaged 23.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.5 assists during his junior season. He scored a school record 965 points, accounting for 45 percent of the Huskies' offense.

Walker on Tuesday thanked coach Jim Calhoun "for turning me into a man." Calhoun had advised Walker to leave.

"He's ready to move on as a basketball player, both emotionally and physically," Calhoun said. "He just completed the finest basketball season in the history of this university -- in 111 years I believe it is. He's done everything humanly possible in my opinion that he possibly can do, including winning a national championship."

Walker came into the season averaging just under 12 points, but quickly established himself as the team's unquestioned leader, scoring 31, 30 and 29 points in powering the Huskies to the Maui Invitational title in November.

He scored 30 or more points 11 times during the season, and 20 or more points 27 times, winning the Bob Cousy award as the nation's top point guard.

Last week, Walker became the 14th Connecticut player to have his name and number placed on the "Huskies of Honor" wall in Gampel Pavilion -- the first to receive the honor while he was still in school. The honor means any future Huskies will have to ask Walker for permission if they want to wear his No. 15.

Walker was on track to graduate by the end of this summer, and said completing his degree is still a priority, though it may not happen that quickly.

"I'm going to take all the time I need to graduate," he said.

Walker is the 13th Connecticut player to leave school early. Center Hasheem Thabeet was the last in 2009.

Walker finishes his career in seventh place on the school's scoring list with 1,783 points in 111 games.

His departure means Connecticut will return four starters and nine players from its national championship team next season. The Huskies also will add another point guard in Ryan Boatright, a blue chip recruit from Illinois.

Walker said he wished he could stay to see how much that team improves, "but like I said, it's just time."

Calhoun said no matter what they accomplish next season, the Huskies will miss Walker, as a player and a leader.

"I'm starting to miss him now, actually," Calhoun said. "So I'll probably start yelling at him just to feel at home."

I'd take the gamble on Biyombo at 7. The draft isn't that good and his upside equals exactly the player we are looking for next to Monroe. An athletic, high energy defensive oriented big with good length and a great attitude. Has offensive potential too, could be more KG than Wallace, or at least halfway between. Who else are we going to get that highly improves the team?

You might not think Morris is a combo guard, but every other board I've seen that he's listed on has him as one. Maybe it's just because of his size, and I didn't get to see enough UM games, but I'm just basing it on what I've seen him projected as. Like I said though, I'd have no problems taking him in the 2nd, but I'd like it even more if we didn't have some of the clutter that we've got at guard right now.

Agree about Faried. Depending on where we're at & who is still on the board, I wouldn't be completely opposed to trying to work a trade out to acquire his draft rights.

Has anyone ever been hyped up so much in so little time as Biyombo? It was all good, and now everybody is wondering if he's really 18 or if he's in his early 20's, or even mid-20's. Putting that aside, I certainly wouldn't be mad if we got him, but again, it all depends on who is on the board. Personally, I'm just really over Stuckey and would love to see them let him go & draft Kemba, or Knight, or anybody else who can take over the point. Probably not going to happen since Dumars is absolutely infatuated with him, but I can dream...

I really think we need to target a PG with our first pick in this draft. However, I'd love to see this team actually make a move on draft day for once and get another early pick. This team needs good young players to rebuild.

I can get on board with this. Although I'd really like a PG, I don't think a very good one will be there at 7. I'm still a Kemba fan, but Stuckey has to go first and I doubt that will happen.

You might not think Morris is a combo guard, but every other board I've seen that he's listed on has him as one. Maybe it's just because of his size, and I didn't get to see enough UM games, but I'm just basing it on what I've seen him projected as. Like I said though, I'd have no problems taking him in the 2nd, but I'd like it even more if we didn't have some of the clutter that we've got at guard right now.

I've only ever seen him listed as a PG on draft sites. Must be his size. He has no qualities of a shooting guard or combo guard really at all.

I really think we need to target a PG with our first pick in this draft. However, I'd love to see this team actually make a move on draft day for once and get another early pick. This team needs good young players to rebuild.

I'm not sure how many more middling 1st rounder types we need though. We have depth and talent on this team and I'm not sure draft picks is what we really need. We can argue whether they should or not, but odds are they will keep Stuckey and start him at PG next year, IMHO. His play down the stretch here probably cemented it. We can match any offer so even if he's unhappy here, he might be stuck. Not only will we keep Stuckey, but there aren't many good PGs in this draft, so unless we get Kyrie, I'm not sure I want to draft one in the first round. There's a similar issue at C. We need a 4, but we don't need any more backup 4s. So if we aren't getting a guy we think can start in this league , we might not want to trade for a first rounder to add another backup at this position. I'd keep our own pick and add the best player we can, its not that I don't want to add young talent. However, I'm not sure that loading up on picks is the answer to anything. Its not like we have the ammo to pull off a trade for a top 3 pick.

My thoughts exactly. I am a sucker for players like Biyombo and the fact he is a perfect fit next to Monroe only enhances his value. I would not be surprised if his stock rises so high we don't even get a chance at him.

Derrick Williams Heading To NBA Draft - RealGM Wiretap

Derrick Williams Heading To NBA Draft

Derrick Williams is heading to the NBA after his sophomore season.

"After careful consideration and with the support of my family and Coach Miller, I have decided to declare for the 2011 NBA Draft," said Williams. "I have enjoyed my two years at Arizona both on and off the court. I want to thank my teammates, who are like brothers to me, my coaches and all Wildcat Fans for making my experience an unforgettable one."

In two seasons at Arizona, Williams averaged 17.8 points, 7.7 rebounds and 0.8 steals per game in 69 career appearances (68 starts). He connected on 58.6 percent of his field goal attempts (388-of-662) in that span, a figure that ranks fourth on the UA career field goal percentage list.

The 6-foot-8 forward has been projected as a top-3 pick.

Yeah, those boards were wrong. Morris is a PG all the way, he doesnt have a good jump shot and is weak going left, two things he needs to improve on, and if he does, could make him a lottery pick next season. Morris reminds me of Andre Miller, I think Coach K said so as well.

My thoughts exactly. I am a sucker for players like Biyombo and the fact he is a perfect fit next to Monroe only enhances his value. I would not be surprised if his stock rises so high we don't even get a chance at him.

I'm a sucker too, and I don't think he'll be there either, not with everyone staying in school. Guys that can challenge shots and do enough other things to stay on the court are just so rare and can change a defense so quickly its hard to pass on that potential. Watching this kids highlights, he's aggressive, gets up really quickly and solidly built, tons of potential.

I'm a sucker too, and I don't think he'll be there either, not with everyone staying in school. Guys that can challenge shots and do enough other things to stay on the court are just so rare and can change a defense so quickly its hard to pass on that potential. Watching this kids highlights, he's aggressive, gets up really quickly and solidly built, tons of potential.

We really need an agressive/explosive player like that next to Monroe. I hope he is available.

Biyombo will most definitely be available at #7.

Biyombo will most definitely be available at #7.

If teams really believe he's only 18, you never know. I wonder if he really is, because he is extremely well developed for someone that young. He definitely fits the mold of someone I'd like to put next to Monroe - athletic, long, unlimited potential. Regardless of where they pick, I think the Pistons are going to have an opportunity to draft a very solid player that can help move this team forward. Joe D better get this one right.

If teams really believe he's only 18, you never know. I wonder if he really is, because he is extremely well developed for someone that young. He definitely fits the mold of someone I'd like to put next to Monroe - athletic, long, unlimited potential. Regardless of where they pick, I think the Pistons are going to have an opportunity to draft a very solid player that can help move this team forward. Joe D better get this one right.

What team in the top 6 do you think would take him? I think this draft could be very interesting.

Yeah, those boards were wrong. Morris is a PG all the way, he doesnt have a good jump shot and is weak going left, two things he needs to improve on, and if he does, could make him a lottery pick next season. Morris reminds me of Andre Miller, I think Coach K said so as well.

I guess if we could get an Andre Miller type in the second round I'd take it. Certainly nothing that's going to be absolutely team changing, but like I said before, if it gives up a PG who doesn't wildly drive to the paint & jack up ridiculous shots *cough cough Stuckey...* then I'll take it.

Not only that, but with all the questions of how well he's developed along with the reports of his leadership skills, I don't think many will believe he's only 18. Then add in some of the projected lottery picks that aren't coming out, it could really go either way.

Assuming we are stuck at 7th, and he's there, I wouldn't mind the pick at all.

Twitter

Biyombo will be free to sign w/any team in Europe once he receives his letter of clearance from Spanish federation. Could happen in 3 days.

That is sort of a big deal. He has a buyout clause of €1 million. I guess it becomes zero if he becomes a free agent.

This is why he might become a free agent.

Breaking News: Bismack Biyombo has unilaterally terminated his contract with Fuenlabrada, following several breaches, his agent tells us.
Biyombo's team served a notice of termination for multiple contract breaches, including failure to pay his salary or social security taxes.

The draft lottery will be May 17th. Pistons are slotted at #7 right now. Here are their odds:

1st - 4.3%

2nd - 4.9%

3rd - 5.8%

7th - 59.9%

8th - 23.2%

9th - 1.8%

10th - 0% (They can drop to 10th, but its so low Wikipedia just lists it as .000%)

The Pistons don't have their own draft pick in the 2nd round. They gave that up in the Alex Acker trade with the Clippers.

They do have the 33rd pick from Toronto (Delfino trade) and the 51st pick from Denver (Afflalo trade).

The draft lottery will be May 17th. Pistons are slotted at #7 right now. Here are their odds:

1st - 4.3%

2nd - 4.9%

3rd - 5.8%

7th - 59.9%

8th - 23.2%

9th - 1.8%

10th - 0% (They can drop to 10th, but its so low Wikipedia just lists it as .000%)

So, that boils down to a 15% chance of getting a top 3 pick, and 25% chance of falling to 8-10. If the Pistons were in NY, LA, Chicago...with the NBA fudge factor, their true odds would be 85% to get 1-3.

So, that boils down to a 15% chance of getting a top 3 pick, and 25% chance of falling to 8-10. If the Pistons were in NY, LA, Chicago...with the NBA fudge factor, their true odds would be 85% to get 1-3.

I like this post.