belcherboy

Would we be better off without MSNBC or Fox News?

RealClearPolitics - Video - Sen. Rockefeller: FCC Should Take FOX News, MSNBC Off Airwaves

SEN. JAY ROCKEFELLER (D-WV): "There's a little bug inside of me which wants to get the FCC to say to FOX and to MSNBC: 'Out. Off. End. Goodbye.' It would be a big favor to political discourse; our ability to do our work here in Congress, and to the American people, to be able to talk with each other and have some faith in their government and more importantly, in their future."

What do you think?

As much as I dislike both networks, and as much as I think deregulation basically killed a major portion of the broadcast industry;

No

Edited by CMRivdog
hate is too strong a word, especially for a network

Agree.

There is not enough news to have news shows on 24 hours a day.

There is not enough news for a sports news shows 24 hours a day either, but someone must be watching, or they wouldn't be on the air. I think it is VERY necessary today to have 24 hour news channels, as the alternative from 30 years ago was watching the 5, 6, or 11 o'clock news....or getting up early to watch the morning news.

I love how he blames the lack of faith in the government on MSNBC and Fox News.

And this guy is in our Congress. So much for that oath where he'll uphold the Constitution.

That was my initial thought as well.

He said part of him wants to do that - not that he would or thinks its constitutional. Hyperbole much conservatives?

I doubt very much there is anybody in office who doesn't find some appeal in something that is unconstitutional. That doesn't mean they are acting on it or ever would.

"Trust in your government."

Nice.

EDIT: I'm sorry. He said "Faith"

Now I feel so much better.

Edited by Antrat

Even if Fox and MSNBC suddenly went dark, there will be someone else to pick up the slack, and we would have the same content under different mastheads.

The genie is out of the bottle, and he ain't coming back. Blame the proliferation of media choices for the existence of Fox and MSNBC, if blame is what you want to apportion.

All Fox and MSNBC is doing is extending what has been going on in radio (talk radio) for nearly 25 years.

I blame Howard Stern. :wink:

I don't think Fox or MSNBC create divide in the public, but reflect the political divide in the country. So I don't have a problem with them.

The ridiculous thing about what he implied is that politicians got along so much better before the 24 hour "news" stations.

uh huh.

Though I do think that relations among regular everyday people have deteriorated in part because of those networks.

And talk radio.

And the internet.

Let's ban them all!

He said part of him wants to do that - not that he would or thinks its constitutional. Hyperbole much conservatives?

No more than the liberals, that's for sure. Where's the part of him that keeps him from saying stupid ****? Did he have to have it removed to make room for this part?

I doubt very much there is anybody in office who doesn't find some appeal in something that is unconstitutional. That doesn't mean they are acting on it or ever would.

This isn't much different than when everyone jumped on Bush for the "dictator statement". Same thing, IMO, different party.

To me, Rockfeller's statement shows how out of touch him and some of his colleagues in congress are from what public opinion is of them and how it is formed. That goes for both R's and D's. To blame Fox News and MSNBC as a reason for why the faith in government is so low just proves they have no clue. He thinks that these two networks are a big enough problem, that he tells of his desire to see them taken away so that faith in government and their own future would return.

I don't think Fox or MSNBC create divide in the public, but reflect the political divide in the country. So I don't have a problem with them.

I don't completely agree with this. I agree they did not create the divide, but they do perpetuate it. It's a cycle of reflect and reinforce and reflect and reinforce. And Fox is a much worse offender, by dint of both tone and size.

Obviously we can't ban them from airing news all day long. But we'd certainly be better off without their one-sided presentation of the same narratives over and over.

No more than the liberals, that's for sure. Where's the part of him that keeps him from saying stupid ****? Did he have to have it removed to make room for this part?

No more than liberals? What liberals here in this conversation have been doing that? Whining like a man caught in his own **** up shabba.

I don't see how what he said was stupid at all - its a view that probably quite a few people hold.

This isn't much different than when everyone jumped on Bush for the "dictator statement". Same thing, IMO, different party.

Yes - exactly. There are lots of reasons for not liking Bush - the dictator comment is not one serious people would entertain except to adorn other facts they may use.

I don't completely agree with this. I agree they did not create the divide, but they do perpetuate it. It's a cycle of reflect and reinforce and reflect and reinforce. And Fox is a much worse offender, by dint of both tone and size.

They don't simply perpetuate it - they reinforce and expand it. They actively undermine bridges.

To me, Rockfeller's statement shows how out of touch him and some of his colleagues in congress are from what public opinion is of them and how it is formed. That goes for both R's and D's. To blame Fox News and MSNBC as a reason for why the faith in government is so low just proves they have no clue. He thinks that these two networks are a big enough problem, that he tells of his desire to see them taken away so that faith in government and their own future would return.

Why are you so dismissive of the idea that Fox News would affect the public's faith in government? They push all sorts of anti-government stories into the mainstream.

Why are you so dismissive of the idea that Fox News would affect the public's faith in government? They push all sorts of anti-government stories into the mainstream.

I'm dismissive because it is an easy out for the poor job that politicians have done. There is PLENTY to be critical about with the government, and to make a statement that MSNBC and Fox News is a big reason for this is just ignoring the fact that he and his colleagues have done a terrible job. I mean, why call out ONLY MSNBC and Fox News as the reason their is a lack of faith in government by the people? At least admit that you've done a crappy job. IMO if the government does it's job properly, Fox and MSNBC don't have near the audience they now enjoy.

To me this is just like parent's blaming the school system for the poor education kids get these days, when the parent's are the primary reason their kids are getting such a poor education. Just my two cents.

And this guy is in our Congress. So much for that oath where he'll uphold the Constitution.

Chillax - don't take it so seriously. I'm sure we could find something similar for just about every congressperson who ever went in the darned building.

I don't think he's seriously lobbying for that change - just offering an opinion wrt the apparent partisanship of parts of the news media. Or "news" media if you prefer.

There is not enough news to have news shows on 24 hours a day.

Ah, there is - easily. Sure, it gets a bit repetitive if you watch it for more than an hour or so, but there's plenty to fill proper news stations, especially if they can manage a few 30 minute special features every day.