Shinma

11/14/10. Lions @ Bills. Fox, 1:05pm. Week 10.

Our running game is a complete disaster. Just complete. The Bills have been horrible against the run and they just shut us down. Best has to STOP stutter stepping. Sometimes you just have to put your head down and get two or three instead of stop, turning, juking, and losing a yard.

And the coaching staff has to STOP sending Best up the middle where our OL is completely unable to open a hole, and then sending Smith outside where he's not fast enough.

He's stutter stepping because our OL is really bad. I agree on the second part.

Our running game is a complete disaster. Just complete. The Bills have been horrible against the run and they just shut us down. Best has to STOP stutter stepping. Sometimes you just have to put your head down and get two or three instead of stop, turning, juking, and losing a yard.

And the coaching staff has to STOP sending Best up the middle where our OL is completely unable to open a hole, and then sending Smith outside where he's not fast enough.

The Lions haven't had a good run blocking OL in ages. Heck....it wasn't that great when Barry around...Barry made people miss by himself. The OL needs a bit of an overhaul, especially when Peterman commits multiple penalties per game and Cherlius appears to be regressing each season.

What about Gary Moeller?

He is the only Lions head coach with a winning record since Joe Schmidt.

We still have the Same Old Lions folks, only now we have a more dynamic offense, Suh, and 10+ stupid penalties per game. Maybe next year things will change, but so far Schwartz is heading down the same fate that so many of his Lion predecessors have experienced.

He is the only Lions head coach with a winning record since Joe Schmidt.

It was a mistake for Michigan to get rid of him, and it was a mistake for the Lions to do the same.

We played like crap today, we deserved to lose. I'm now on the "get Dom out asap" wagon, he is undersized yes, but how in the HELL do you commit a false start penalty when YOU'RE the one snapping the ball? He's done this in two straight games now...we can't run up the middle, we have to go off tackle or outside as long as Dom is starting.

Penalties kill us every game, 2nd worst in the NFL.

Shaun Hill played a decent game, not great, the 2 point conversion was pathetic. We're a lot like the Colts, we can't run to save our lives, and we don't have "our" Peyton under center so this is what we can expect until Stafford is in there and we learn to win.

This game disgusted me...it looks like a continuation of the last 6 minutes of the Jets game...horrible, just horrible...

...What he said. Firstrow's not working for me either.
I could get the Lions game, but when I clicked on the Bucs game, it would not load....then I found my browser had been hijacked. Sorry for the bad info.

Well, we're definitely not seeing the 21-0 first quarter scores anymore. Instead getting routinely blown off the field they're now in every single game - I still see some progress, and some promise. I predicted around 4 wins this year, and they're right on schedule. I don't buy that they're as "talented" as everyone says they are, but we're getting there. Couple more years Tropp

It's pathetic that Lions fans have been reduced to this kind of "improvement'. Well, we were getting blown out, but now we just lose close games.

What in the hell is that? Seriously. Think about that. How is that improvement? Well, I guess it's improvement, but it doesn't matter because the team is not winning. When you see more wins on the board, that's improvement. I don't think it matters how they win, just that they do. If they lose 13 close games this year are you really going to hang your hat on that? Really?

It's pathetic that Lions fans have been reduced to this kind of "improvement'. Well, we were getting blown out, but now we just lose close games.

What in the hell is that? Seriously. Think about that. How is that improvement? Well, I guess it's improvement, but it doesn't matter because the team is not winning. When you see more wins on the board, that's improvement. I don't think it matters how they win, just that they do. If they lose 13 close games this year are you really going to hang your hat on that? Really?

Unfortunately, that's what I think a lot of people do - at least during the season.

My hat? I don't actually own a hat. I have a couple of baseball caps but I don't really hang them on anything.

If the Lions had to call such a conservative game with Hill being injured, then why do we still have Stanton on our roster? I'm in complete Awe on the managerial decisions. Millen 2.0?

No, this is still the product of Millen 1.0.

Until they get rid of what is left of Millen before they can shake this. That includes the horrible center that frequently false start....AND HE'S THE GUY THAT SNAPS THE DAMN BALL !!!!!!

My hat? I don't actually own a hat. I have a couple of baseball caps but I don't really hang them on anything.

Hehe. The tigers are even less stressful than the Lions. At least they win more than 13% of their games every year, unlike the Lions.

Wow, think about that. 2-14 is 12.5% winning percentage year after year. That's brutal. Compare that to the Wings that are around 65-70% or more.

Seeing those stats just pisses me off.

Even with Stafford they are just mediocre.

With Stafford, they are a better team. If they are considered horrible without Stafford then they can be considered less horrible with Stafford.

Overall, this game was an utter letdown. No energy and just flat. Coming into the game Buffalo had allowed 178 rush yard per game, today the Lions managed just 76 while the offensive lineman accounted for at least 5 penalties. When will they learn that they cant establish the run until they get rid of the garbage that we call offensive lineman? The only one I would keep is Sims, the rest really stink.

Dont matter how close these games are, the Lions continue to find a way to lose. Game after game after stinkin game, I get my hopes up and expect different. Then we go and lose to the leagues only winless team. Yesterday was the 1st game where I thought our coaching staff was just completely unprepaired. They didnt look ready for a very suspect defense that should have yielded at least 20 points. Schwartz has to start holding players accountable for penalties. These false starts and holding penalties are just too much to take.

And for the love of god, get rid of Jeff Backus, he just a dreadful offensive tackle.

I know this won't be popular in these parts, but Jeff Backus has been pretty solid this year. Out of the lineman, he's been my smallest concern - well since the Stafford injury game.

The Center and guards are just terrible.. As soon as the ball is snapped there are players coming up the middle. It is hard to establish any run game when that happens. This offensive line needs to be rebuilt and soon.....

I know this won't be popular in these parts, but Jeff Backus has been pretty solid this year. Out of the lineman, he's been my smallest concern - well since the Stafford injury game.

He's been solid relative to the rest of the OL, which isn't saying much. To be fair the OL does a good job with pass blocking, although a good QB will do a lot to help with that.

This was, by far, the worst Lions game I've watched in a long, long time. It was so disappointing to see. Nearly EVERY unit was lousy from top to bottom. Usually I can find even a little ray of sunshine... at the very least I can say: Well, that was a better team we faced, so I shouldn't have expected the win. But this... ugh, this I can't even say that. It was simply dreadful.

Our offensive line was completely unable to drop a bad defense or open any holes. Best stop WAY to often. He's got to learn to just punch it in there from time to time. Yeah, 2 or 3 yards stinks. Yeah, *maybe* if you wait a 1/2 second that 10 yard lane will open. But that happens 1 times out of a 100. Those other 99 times you're getting dropped for a loss of 1 or 2 or 3 yards so it becomes 2nd and 12 instead of 2nd and 8. Throw the ball up to Calvin where only he can get it and let him come down with it. Catch and hold on to the dang ball.

On Defense... LEARN TO FREAKIN' TACKLE! Ugh, I'm so sick of seeing guy bust out of tackles and tack on 3-5 additional yards. Instead of 2nd and 8, we're letting bust through to make it 2nd and two... or worse, they just get the dang first down. Our DL applied zero pressure that I saw. What happened to them? They've disappeared since the Redskins game.

Our coach staff seemed ill prepared for this game and unable to motivate them at all. It almost seemed like they went in thinking: Hey, we almost beat the Jets who many thought were headed to the SB. The Bills will be a cake walk.

Finally, one thing that so pissed me off... We get into the 4th quarter. We're actually stopping the Bills on defense. We obviously need as many offensive possessions as we can get. So, let's hurry up, shall we? Of course not. We'll wander and walk up to the line. We'll look around, get set, then hold it for 5-7 seconds before snapping the ball. What a freaking waste! So much time lost between plays as the clock is working against them.

This was a huge step backwards. This whole seasons it's felt like we were right on the edge... just that little extra and we're gonna make it... just that little push. Now it feels like we're back in '08. Very, very disappointing.

My ONLY comfort... I didn't start watching until 2:30ish and skipped through all the commercials and more. I only wasted an hour and a half on that slop.

He's been solid relative to the rest of the OL, which isn't saying much. To be fair the OL does a good job with pass blocking, although a good QB will do a lot to help with that.

And that's the mind-blowing part of it. The line did a pretty darn good job protecting a QB that was playing with a broken arm yesterday. If Hill was hit hard twice yesterday, I forgot at least one of them. But for the life of them, they can't run-block. It's just baffling.

And that's the mind-blowing part of it. The line did a pretty darn good job protecting a QB that was playing with a broken arm yesterday. If Hill was hit hard twice yesterday, I forgot at least one of them. But for the life of them, they can't run-block. It's just baffling.

Run and Pass Blocking are different skills. Play calling on both sides of the ball also play a big part.

This was a huge step backwards. This whole seasons it's felt like we were right on the edge... just that little extra and we're gonna make it... just that little push. Now it feels like we're back in '08. Very, very disappointing.

I felt this way right after Stafford went down last week.

This was the first week this year that I got the "Same Ol' Lions" feeling, and it felt ****ing awful. This game wasn't close, and we deserved to lose it from the first snap. We were never in this one. Buffalo couldn't give it to us.

What bothers me the most is that I lay this one completely at the feet of our coaching staff. Linehan called what was probably the worst game of his tenure here, and the penalties are the responsibility of Schwartz: they've been a problem all year, and they clearly haven't been addressed. Schwartz gets an F today, and I'm wondering for the first time if he's capable of making the transition from coordinator to head coach. We simply cannot make the same mistakes (penalties) over and over and expect the results to change.

As for Linehan, it was clear by the end of the first quarter that we weren't going to be able to run against the Buffalo d. They were standing at the line of scrimmage, waiting for our backs. They knew exactly what he was intending to do, and they shut it down. Completely. And Linehan kept doing it. I have no idea why our O-line can't run block, but it's been that way for years: not just this year, but years. Plural. After a point, it doesn't matter what you think you saw on film in the week before the game -- look at what's happening on the field! Hill was consistently put in terrible positions regarding down and distance, and although Hill didn't look too sharp, did anyone watching that game believe that we had a better chance of putting up points on the ground than we did through the air?

Did we attempt any passes longer than 15 yards in the first 3 quarters? I can't remember one. If the Lions have proved anything this year, it's that we have to use the pass to set up the run. We didn't do that yesterday. And Schwartz becomes responsible for not forcing Linehan to make the adjustments at halftime.

I'm praying that we'll see different playcalling next week in Dallas. The defense only gave up 14 in this game, for all that they struggled. That should have been good enough. If we can't recognize our strengths and weaknesses, and play to our strengths, we have serious coaching problems. I hope that the staff will step up and get it right next week, I Schwartz to turn out to be the right guy, but my confidence in him is sliding.

And that feels like ****.