Sign in to follow this  
DetroitCity313

Zach Randolph to Detroit?

"multiple sources say Randolph's preferred destination is Detroit, where he would fill the gaping hole in the Pistons' frontcourt."

Read more: Carmelo Anthony isn't the only big-name player who could - 11.08.10 - SI Vault

We could deal Tay/CV or Tay/Maxiell for Randolph and it would give us a 20/10 big who could SERIOUSLY help us out down low. I believe he also has an expiring contract if he doesn't work out.

Totally down for Randolph on the court. Not a perfect player by any means, but he's a good power forward who can score and rebound at a very high level. I wonder how much money he's going to get though.

No thanks. Should have snagged Jefferson when he was available if they wanted a player like this. Both score and rebound at the same rate, but Jefferson is more efficient and will give you a few blocks per game. Randolph wont even give you a half a block per game. Plus Jefferson is 5 years younger.

The only way I do this is if it involves Rip. And I would only do it to let Randolph walk or trade him at the deadline.

Also. Just because he wants to come here doesn't mean Memphis wants to deal him here.

No thanks. Should have snagged Jefferson when he was available if they wanted a player like this. Both score and rebound at the same rate, but Jefferson is more efficient and will give you a few blocks per game. Randolph wont even give you a half a block per game. Plus Jefferson is 5 years younger.

The only way I do this is if it involves Rip. And I would only do it to let Randolph walk or trade him at the deadline.

Also. Just because he wants to come here doesn't mean Memphis wants to deal him here.

Considering the deals Memphis has given to Conley and Gay (and still needing to re-sign Mayo and Gasol) I think it is very possible they will be trying to ship him off.

As said earlier, Randolph is far from a perfect player- but he would immedietly be the best big on this team and provide a lot of relief for our offense. We have 0 low post threats as of now.

And if it means dumping CV's salary, that is a huge added bonus. I don't really see the harm in doing this trade.

Considering the deals Memphis has given to Conley and Gay (and still needing to re-sign Mayo and Gasol) I think it is very possible they will be trying to ship him off.

As said earlier, Randolph is far from a perfect player- but he would immedietly be the best big on this team and provide a lot of relief for our offense. We have 0 low post threats as of now.

And if it means dumping CV's salary, that is a huge added bonus. I don't really see the harm in doing this trade.

If they need the cap relief they wont be trading off a giant expiring contract, they will let it expire. Taking back salary in a trade would be a horrible move if they do indeed need relief.

As I said earlier, if they wanted a player like this they could have gone after Jefferson. He is younger, better, cheaper.

If they need the cap relief they wont be trading off a giant expiring contract, they will let it expire. Taking back salary in a trade would be a horrible move if they do indeed need relief.

As I said earlier, if they wanted a player like this they could have gone after Jefferson. He is younger, better, cheaper.

I don't even want to think about it considering the Blaha love-fest factor on the broadcasts.

He would immediately give the Pistons a lot of things they don't have right now. I agree with DC313 with that. That can't be bad. It would be nice seeing someone that plays in the frontcourt that isn't afraid to play inside the paint on offense.

Help refresh my memory, wasn't he hurt for a good part of a season a few years ago? I don't think it was last year. I forget what the issue was.

I don't even want to think about it considering the Blaha love-fest factor on the broadcasts.

He would immediately give the Pistons a lot of things they don't have right now. I agree with DC313 with that. That can't be bad. It would be nice seeing someone that plays in the frontcourt that isn't afraid to play inside the paint on offense.

Help refresh my memory, wasn't he hurt for a good part of a season a few years ago? I don't think it was last year. I forget what the issue was.

I think it was his hand.

I agree about going after Jefferson. I think they should have. He has his issues too, but he's a really good player. Randolph is a good player. If he wants to play here, Joe should definitely take a look at him. I think he'd be a better option than Austin Daye at the 4.

Edited by tigerkid23

Only if we can give them Stuckey as part of the deal. I feel like I'm watching Flip Murray - broke jumper, no idea how to pass, tries to finish under the rim with 3 guys ready to swat the shot. He makes nobody better.

Zach Randolph might think there are 42 minutes in an NBA game - Ball Don't Lie - NBA  - Yahoo! Sports

Zach Randolph might think there are 42 minutes in an NBA game

By Kelly Dwyer

Zach Randolph's scoring is down this year, to around 15 points per game, but overall he's playing as well as ever. The Memphis Grizzlies' power forward is rebounding like a mad man, including 20 caroms in Monday night's win over Phoenix, as a young Grizzlies worked their way toward a .500 record. He was so good, he won The Basketball Jones' nod as the player of the night.

It was consistency that was key, according to Zach. From tip-off, until the final buzzer sounded after 48 minutes of NBA basketball.

Right, Zach?

"We just finished the whole game," he said. "We played the whole 42 minutes."Dangit.

Zach's been in the league since 2001, so you'd like to think he'd have his timing (so to speak) down by now. But we all have brainfreezes. I've been watching both college and pro football all my life, and I still forget how many minutes go into each quarter. I still slip and call hockey periods "quarters." I still confuse my Collins twins, and rarely get Ryan Anderson's first name right.

But a cliché like "the whole 48 minutes?" OK, maybe we are allowed to laugh.

That's just me, helping our loyal BDL readers make it through their daily 9-to-4 gig.

Found this funny since this thread was just posted and I just saw this article

Have you guys seen Al Jefferson this year? No thanks...he has been lifeless and just bad.

Context. The flex offense that Sloan runs is extremely difficult and complicated. Its asking him to do things he has never had to do and change his game. It will take him some time to get used to it and adjust.

Context. The flex offense that Sloan runs is extremely difficult and complicated. Its asking him to do things he has never had to do and change his game. It will take him some time to get used to it and adjust.

Too bad Jefferson wasnt available this summer via trade....oh wait.

Considering he has never been a smart player and is coming off reconstructive knee surgery I am not sure he will ever be the player Sloan will want.

Also, we could have had him...for 2 first round picks. I am not willing to mortgage our entire future (and what will probably be two very high first rounders) for a guy coming off knee surgery who has displayed he will never been a franchise player.

We can acquire Randolph for a lot less and not put the future of our franchise on the line with it. And as you said, they are pretty similar in talent and production.

Considering he has never been a smart player and is coming off reconstructive knee surgery I am not sure he will ever be the player Sloan will want.

Also, we could have had him...for 2 first round picks. I am not willing to mortgage our entire future (and what will probably be two very high first rounders) for a guy coming off knee surgery who has displayed he will never been a franchise player.

We can acquire Randolph for a lot less and not put the future of our franchise on the line with it. And as you said, they are pretty similar in talent and production.

Do you have any examples of him not being a smart player? All he has been asked to do all his career is post up, and he has done that.

How do you know what we can acquire Randolph for? I already told you why trading him is totally stupid for Memphis. Until a valid reason for trading him is given, I see very little reason to believe we could get him.

Also, its silly to think it would cost the Pistons 2 first round picks. Utah was able to do that because they had the cap space. Their pick is going to be very low and the other pick is from Memphis and guess what? It's lottery protected. So thinking Detroit was going to give up 2 top 10 picks is crazy. It would have been #7 last year and Prince.

By the way. I'm not 100% sure they should have gone after Jefferson. He has a lot of issues as well. But if you are going to go after this type of player - all offense, no passing or defense - then Jefferson was clearly the better option. Age, talent, cost. Jefferson comes out ahead on all three.

After watching last night's game and then thinking about what Zach Randolph would bring to the offense, at least, I'll admit I was begging for him a few times during the game.

The Pistons' offense would make you swear that a bucket on an entry pass within 8 feet of the bucket is worth just a point or something like that.

Monroe is the only one really willing to play any sort of role in the paint, but there's probably players on Michigan State's basketball team now that have more PT at the Palace with their occasional games there than Monroe has (weak way of saying he's a learning rookie). I am getting excited about the idea of watching Monroe progress this season though. He's shown us more already than Darko did his entire time here.

I think I would feel better about a Jefferson/Randolph type PF if we had a big defensive center for him to play next to. Say a Kendrick Perkins or someone like that.

I think I would feel better about a Jefferson/Randolph type PF if we had a big defensive center for him to play next to. Say a Kendrick Perkins or someone like that.

I'd just be happy to get people/coaching staff that is committed to playing defense. Even with Ben, no one is trembling in their shoes worried to attack the paint against the Pistons. And, the guards/swingmen have no intention of playing anything more than token defense.

It's much like last year. The team can't or aren't serious about stopping the initial dribble. And if an opponent ends that initial dribble, the Pistons do nothing to disrupt what the opponent's offense wants to do - not even for a half-thought. Simply stated, the Pistons lack of concern for defense has people's offense feeling comfortable from the opening minute. And I'm convinced that's why you'll see a game like last night in the first quarter - Golden State just couldn't be stopped. Why? They had no fear for anything the Pistons do on defense and just went out and executed every single thing they wanted to do with not even a 1/10th of a second hesitation due to the Pistons defense. The Pistons don't drop any seeds in the minds of the offense. They don't think "this guy is a pretty good ball hawk, maybe I should pick up the ball," or "Oops, Prince may deflect the ball in that passing lane," or "I know I'm going to get hammered by XXXX if I drive the lane." There's nothing like that. Instead it's no one stopping the ball, no one stopping the flow of the ball and BINGO, exactly the shot the opponent wanted. And we wonder how a team can start a game 10-for-12 shooting the ball.

Do you have any examples of him not being a smart player? All he has been asked to do all his career is post up, and he has done that.

How do you know what we can acquire Randolph for? I already told you why trading him is totally stupid for Memphis. Until a valid reason for trading him is given, I see very little reason to believe we could get him.

Also, its silly to think it would cost the Pistons 2 first round picks. Utah was able to do that because they had the cap space. Their pick is going to be very low and the other pick is from Memphis and guess what? It's lottery protected. So thinking Detroit was going to give up 2 top 10 picks is crazy. It would have been #7 last year and Prince.

He is awful defensively. Completely ill equiped to understand the most basic of defensive strategies. He can't rotate and does not react to plays quickly at all. Also, he struggles to even get back on defense after a miss offensively. Offensively, I have not seem him make a single player better. He looks to be a big guy who puts up number on a bad team but lacks the defense and efficiency to truly be productive. And again, the knee injury worries me.

It isn't silly to think it would have cost us 2 picks. What would Minny rather have, 2 first round picks (protected or not) or whatever garbage we were going to throw their way? They dumped a massive contract, they didn't want our garbage contracts in return. We didn't have a shot at the guy.

Randolph will not cost 2 1st rounders. He is an expiring deal, no one will mortgage their future for an expiring deal unless he is going to take them to a championship (and I don't see a title contender taking Randolph) or unless he will resign with them immedietly. If he is traded, it will be for less than what Jefferson was traded for.

True, much of Randolph's success can be attributed to Gasol. But even without a guy like that, Randolph would provide us a low post threat we desperately need. Last night was a perfect example- we have 3 gaurds, an undersized powerforward and a small center with no offense and that cannot compete with good teams.

The only way I make this trade is if it gets rid of Rip, BG, or CV-- aka bad contracts. I'm not a Randolph fan and he would only make the team marginally better in the short term. And frankly, I have already written this season completely off.

They need to trade for upside and youth. Randolph has neither. Two thumbs way down on this trade idea.

He is awful defensively. Completely ill equiped to understand the most basic of defensive strategies. He can't rotate and does not react to plays quickly at all. Also, he struggles to even get back on defense after a miss offensively. Offensively, I have not seem him make a single player better. He looks to be a big guy who puts up number on a bad team but lacks the defense and efficiency to truly be productive. And again, the knee injury worries me.

It isn't silly to think it would have cost us 2 picks. What would Minny rather have, 2 first round picks (protected or not) or whatever garbage we were going to throw their way? They dumped a massive contract, they didn't want our garbage contracts in return. We didn't have a shot at the guy.

Randolph will not cost 2 1st rounders. He is an expiring deal, no one will mortgage their future for an expiring deal unless he is going to take them to a championship (and I don't see a title contender taking Randolph) or unless he will resign with them immedietly. If he is traded, it will be for less than what Jefferson was traded for.

Except for the knee injury, you just described Randolph. Except Jefferson will actually block a shot now and then, something Randolph wont do in a week of games. Also, Jefferson is more efficient on offense and oh yeah, 5 years younger. He is also cheaper. The knee injury is an excuse. Guys with the much worse micro fracture surgery are getting $100M deals.

We absolutely had a shot at Jefferson. Again, the #7 pick is better than two picks out of the lottery. Once you get out of the top 5-10 in the NBA draft, its all a crap shoot. With Prince and his expiring contract it costs them nothing. Two low picks are worth nothing. That is why people were questioning why Dumars wasn't involved.

Also, Randolph will cost a lot if they decide to move him. He is very valuable to Memphis as an expiring deal. So if they do trade him for more salary, they will need to get back some big time talent and/or very high picks. Other wise it makes more sense to either let him walk or try to sign him again.