IdahoBert

2010 Winter Meetings/Free Agency Period Part Deux

According to USA today, it says that the Royals don't have to pay him.

Gil Meche passes up $12 million, retires; Royals never got to trade him - Daily Pitch: MLB News, Standings, Schedules & More - USATODAY.com

Also opens up a 40 man spot for them. Honestly, I have seen other places that says MLB contracts are guaranteed and have to pay. Someone who has better knowledge than me can probably touch upon this issue.

As far as Jeff Francis goes.. he'll be really annoying to face. Like the 4 starts a year when Mike Maroth was good... but more often.

I have to say I'd pull a Willis and collect my $12M! :grin:

According to USA today, it says that the Royals don't have to pay him.

Gil Meche passes up $12 million, retires; Royals never got to trade him - Daily Pitch: MLB News, Standings, Schedules & More - USATODAY.com

Also opens up a 40 man spot for them. Honestly, I have seen other places that says MLB contracts are guaranteed and have to pay. Someone who has better knowledge than me can probably touch upon this issue.

As far as Jeff Francis goes.. he'll be really annoying to face. Like the 4 starts a year when Mike Maroth was good... but more often.

Just curious, how is this situation different that Eric Byrnes situatuion last year?

Just curious, how is this situation different that Eric Byrnes situatuion last year?

Byrnes was designated for assignment when the D-backs signed LaRoche. So they were on the hook for his contract. Then he signed a 1-year deal with Seattle for the league minimum. I don't recall if he was cut or just retired, but the difference is that the D-backs DFA'd him. KC didn't do that to Meche, he just walked away from the contract.

Byrnes was designated for assignment when the D-backs signed LaRoche. So they were on the hook for his contract. Then he signed a 1-year deal with Seattle for the league minimum. I don't recall if he was cut or just retired, but the difference is that the D-backs DFA'd him. KC didn't do that to Meche, he just walked away from the contract.

Ahhhhhh, that makes sense then.

Looks like the Rays are close to signing Damon.

Rays, Damon Nearing Deal

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 21, 2011 at 7:53am CST]

The Rays are nearing a deal with Johnny Damon, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown (on Twitter). There is still work to be done before the sides reach an agreement, however. Agent Scott Boras represents Damon.

The 37-year-old hit .271/.355/.401 with 69 walks and 36 doubles for the Tigers last year. He played 36 games in the outfield, but was primarily the team's DH. His role with the Rays would figure to be similar in 2011. Though he drew interest from at least one NL club (the Dodgers), Damon seems best suited for a job in the American League as he enters the 17th season of his career.

If Damon signs with the Rays, Vladimir Guerrero and Manny Ramirez would likely lose leverage. The Angels, meanwhile, would lose a leadoff option and could turn to free agent outfielder Scott Podsednik.

Does anybody know Rickie Weeks situation? Are the Brewers going to sign this guy to a long term deal or try and trade him?

I haven't given up hope of adding another bat to the roster before the season starts.

With five guys on the 40-man who are capable of playing 2B, I seriously doubt the Tigers are looking to add any more of them. Also I thought DD made a telling comment yesterday: he said was was able to add players this winter without stripping the minor leagues or "putting all our eggs in one basket". He made that comment in regards to trading for Greinke.

With five guys on the 40-man who are capable of playing 2B, I seriously doubt the Tigers are looking to add any more of them. Also I thought DD made a telling comment yesterday: he said was was able to add players this winter without stripping the minor leagues or "putting all our eggs in one basket". He made that comment in regards to trading for Greinke.

DD has made deals before when I least expected it so I wouldn't put it past the Tigers to do it again this spring. I do think it is unlikely though.

As far as second base goes, we have some option but none near as talented as Weeks. He did have a career year last year though so he is probably a little overpriced right now. Just a thought.

The Brewers are playing to compete now after trading some of their quality prospects for Greinke and Marcum (including Weeks' would-be replacement in Lawrie). I don't see them dealing Weeks unless the return would improve them now, which seems unlikely.

As for the Tigers at 2B, I feel we already have to have the answer (a good enough answer) somewhere among Guillen, Sizemore, Rhymes and Worth.

I don't think Guillen will be quite ready in time for Opening Day. My money is on Scott Sizemore - I think that sore ankle affected his April/May performance. He showed some of his potential in September, going 8 for 26 with a pair of homers. This is the same guy that posted a whopping .937 OPS at Erie, and back to back years of around .850 OPS for Toledo. Mr. Sizemore can rake, and I'm banking on a big spring from him.

Yeah, no reason the Brewers would trade Weeks after going through the trouble to get big time rotation upgrades.

When you have a 2B who can ops .850 and hit 30 HR's while playing average D, I can't think of a situation in which you wouldn't keep him.

When you have a 2B who can ops .850 and hit 30 HR's while playing average D, I can't think of a situation in which you wouldn't keep him.

Well there's definite sell-high potential, since I don't really think he's that good. But teams who are trying to make a run don't sell high.

Thought I'd check back in and see just how wrong I was....

Actuals in red.

Basically, I wildly undervalued Avila (by a mere 30 runs) and Peralta (by 35 runs), and Boesch (by at least 10 runs), wildly overvalued Maggs (by 30 runs), Raburn (by 17 runs), Inge (by 15 runs), and the other 2bmen generally (by about 15 runs); after the other lesser misses are factored in, the Tigers are on track to get 780 runs, 20 less than I had projected if they re-signed Maggs.

My meta-analysis of the offense, 2011 v. 2010 as we stand:

2010: scored 750 runs, need to add 40 - 50 to compete in 2011

Catcher: (+30 runs)ACTUALLY, +50, +20 better than my projection

- remove Laird (+15)

- Avila improves (+5)ACTUALLY, improved +35!!! This is the story of the year, hopefully the story at C for the next 10 years. Avila has been nothing short of MVP-caliber. This appears fairly sustainable, too.

- add VMart (+10 in 250 PAs)ACTUALLY, only had about 100 PAs, low performance, 0 runs

First Base: no changeACTUALLY, +10 -- yes, that's right, he's having a BETTER 2011 now in terms of wOBA/RC...so much for the "down year" meme...

Second Base: (+5)

- Sizemore improves (+5)Raburn and Santiago pulled it together enough to avert disaster, but this was still a -10 run loss from 2010's motley crew, thanks mostly to the short-but-horrible hitting from Sizemore/Rhymes/Guillen in 2011. This is a -15 drop from my projection.

Shortstop: (+5)

- Peralta replaces Everett's early 2010 at-bats (+5)This went from being a big drain in 2010 (-22 runs) to a big plus in 2011 (+13 runs), for a net gain of +35 runs, +30 runs better than my projection. Peralta's transformation to flyball-power-hitter has paid off big time, and appears sustainable. Better yet, his UZR/150 for the last three years has been +9, -1, +9, which makes him a legit two-way player.

Third Base: no changeOops. Simply didn't realize that Inge was about to fall off a cliff and drill right through the entire Earth.....even with a solid plus hitting contribution from Betemit, Inge's sub-terrainien nightmare dropped 3B from -10 in 2010 to -30 in 2011 for a net drop of -20. Ouch. If they re-sign Betemit at 3B in 2012, I hope to goodness that Inge is limited to no more than 100 at-bats.

Centerfield: (-5)

- Jackson's BABIP regresses to mid-300'sJackson fell to a .340 BABIP, and was somewhat worse than I thought with a .700 OPS and 310 wOBA, dropping -12 runs, -7 worse than my projection.

RF/LF/DH: (-5)I start by subtracting the 15 runs Maggs contributed in 2010, then add an improved Boesch (+10 run improvement vs 2010, that replaced what Damon did in 2010) and Martinez (+20 runs), who helped the DH position by not playing catcher much. Those changes would have been enough for a 15 run improvement, except that Raburn played OF in the 1st half when he was horrible (-15 runs), then lent his plus hitting to 2B in the 2nd half, add in a couple of other minor changes and this 3-position merry-go-round was about -5 worse than 2010, about the same as my projection, except for Maggs -10 run contribution in 2011 (see FA acquisition section below).

- Maggs not back (yet) (-15)

- Raburn gets more at-bats (+5)

- Damon gone (-10)

- add Martinez (+15 in 350 PAs, in addition to +10 at catcher)

Overall as we stand: + 30 runs.

Need: another 10 - 20 runs.

Option 1: add Crawford (+30 runs + top notch defense)WRONG!! Try -4 runs! Wow.

Option 2: add Werth (+25 runs + pretty good defense)WRONG!! Try a lousy 4 runs.

Option 3: add Maggs (+20 runs, assuming he hits like 2010 but with more PAs + below average defense)WRONG!! Try -10 runs, a differential of -30 vs. my projection. Ouch.

Edited by sabretooth

The Tigers could sign Andruw Jones to fill in as DH when Martinez catches, or better yet, play RF and DH Magglio. Apparently Chicago has so many good player now so why not take one? Might as well sign Garcia since he could be better than Porcello.

I still stand by signing Andruw Jones. In fact, I hope the Tigers pursue him this off season.