JonBenke

Michigan @ Purdue

- --- -- LIVE from Ross-Ade Stadium .. West Lafayette, IN -- --- -

300ross-ade-2005.jpg

IT'S THE MICHIGAN WOLVERSINES ... v ... THE PURDUE BOILMAKERS

Roundtree.gif

Hey, you remember Roy Roundtree .... don't you;)

TateRedemption.gif

TIME: 12:00 .. Saturday; November 13th, 2010

TV: Big Ten Network

NOTE: MICHIGAN IS UNDEFEATED WHEN BENKE MAKES THE GAME THREAD!

Worst offense in the Big Ten vs. the worst defense in the Big Ten...

Michigan 38-20

I think even Purdue will score more than 20 points on us. If we can avoid turnovers I am thinking something more like 45-31.

Worst offense in the Big Ten vs. the worst defense in the Big Ten...

Michigan 38-20

I think both teams will score more.

If you look at Big Ten scores this year, they're relatively low ... except for Michigan, and whomever UM is playing.

Purdue can't move the ball, and when they do it's a long drive because it is not a quick strike offense. If Michigan's defense fails, it will be a somewhat low-scoring game, because Purdue will be putting up 5+ minute drives every time. We are probably looking at a 10-12 possession game, which means 38-20 is pretty high scoring when looking at it on a per-possession basis.

Case in point... Yesterday's Wisconsin/Purdue game was a 13 possession game. The Illinois/Michigan game had 20 possessions. If Michigan's defense fails against the Purdue offense, it will result in moderate gains on the ground and long drives, driving that 20 possessions down into the 10-15 range. Take those 45 points in 17 regulation possessions, scale them back to 13 and you have about 34 points. I think 38-20 is reasonable, having watched all of Purdue's games and most of Michigan's.

If Michigan can only score 30 points then Purdue will have a good chance of winning, as they will score 30+ points by default. If Michigan scores 40 or more then they will win.

If Michigan can only score 30 points then Purdue will have a good chance of winning, as they will score 30+ points by default. If Michigan scores 40 or more then they will win.

Purdue can only score 30 if the game goes multiple overtimes or M's offense has some generous turnovers... This is a pathetic offense made worse by crippling injuries, and on top of that, it is very very run and short pass heavy, so it cannot score quickly and the offense's biggest success is keeping the opposing offense off the field.

I learned my lesson in the Penn State game, it doesn't matter how bad the other teams offense is, they will score at will on Michigan. If Matt McGloin could do it Purdue's 8th string QB or whatever they're down to will do the same

Michigan 63 - Purdue 61 (regulation)

Matt McGloin may not be that bad. Hard to tell because of who he has played, but he did look pretty good a second straight game. He's no Montana, but I dont think he is the Nick Sheridan bad everyone thought he was.

I like Edman's theories on the game... It makes sense that Purdue will eat up some clock.

Even if Michigan scores fasts .. which they do, they'll have less chances to do so.

That might also help Purdue though, if UM keeps turning the ball over. Can't keep that up forever.

I agree with Edman to a point. The only thing is, when you watch another team and how bad their offense is, and try to forecast how they do against Michigan, it is a different ball game. Sure Purdue has had to sustain long scoring drives to get into the end zone against other teams. However you have to account for Michigan's poor tackling, and overall tendency to leave some receivers so wide open a high school QB could hit them for a big gain. I still see Purdue in the high 20's at the very least. First one to 35 wins.

Michigan will have no problem moving the ball. This is a game Michigan will win impressively.

Michigan will have no problem moving the ball. This is a game Michigan will win impressively.

I sure hope you are right. I don't want to go from the high of winning against a solid team to the low of losing to a below average team. Take care of business this week and I will consider everything from here on out gravy.

I think Michigan would win this game comfortably at home, but on the road, I expect another barnburner.

You are probably right about that.

I sure hope you are right. I don't want to go from the high of winning against a solid team to the low of losing to a below average team. Take care of business this week and I will consider everything from here on out gravy.

Its tough man. You start to get your hopes up, and at this time we as Michigan fans, remain very guarded. The thing is, I wouldnt be shocked if we lost this game, and I wouldnt be shocked if we won by 20.

I am starting to really like what Rich Rod is doing on offense. He is obviously a mastermind on that side of ball. If he is back next year I want the new D.Cord to be in complete control, his scheme and his personal decisions.

And get a damn kicker.

This going to sound crazy, but I think the defense played relatively well against Illinois. The third down numbers were much better.

Anyway, I'm not worried about this game. Then again, I wasn't worried about psu either. Hopefully denard is ok, but if he isn't forcier has shown that he can lead the offense well.

Those turnovers were maddening.

Another note: did anyone else think the playcalling and use of timeouts at the end of the first half were terrible? If you are considering kicking the field goal if you don't get a first down, then don't use the time outs. Whatever.

This going to sound crazy, but I think the defense played relatively well against Illinois. The third down numbers were much better.

Anyway, I'm not worried about this game. Then again, I wasn't worried about psu either. Hopefully denard is ok, but if he isn't forcier has shown that he can lead the offense well.

Those turnovers were maddening.

Another note: did anyone else think the playcalling and use of timeouts at the end of the first half were terrible? If you are considering kicking the field goal if you don't get a first down, then don't use the time outs. Whatever.

I agree Shelton. I noticed that too. I am not sure I like the way this team goes about the 2 minute drill. Something that needs to be improved upon for sure.

to be honest, I'm really starting to like not having a kicker.

The idea that inside the 40 is 4 down territory and if it's 4th and 1 on the 20, we're going for it with our ability to move the ball makes it fun to watch. With Denard's ability to rarely get stopped for less than 2 yards, we should convert a lot of 4th downs.

to be honest, I'm really starting to like not having a kicker.

The idea that inside the 40 is 4 down territory and if it's 4th and 1 on the 20, we're going for it with our ability to move the ball makes it fun to watch. With Denard's ability to rarely get stopped for less than 2 yards, we should convert a lot of 4th downs.

I kind of agree, if RR was consistent with going for it. Every time the field goal kicker trots onto the field for an attempt longer than 30 yards I get mad. Even in the rare times that we convert the field goal it seems like a bad move. I think our percentage of scoring points increases when we go for it on 4th down in between the 30 and 15 yard lines.

I am going to say

Michigan 42

Purdue 28

Denard has a bigger day rushing than he did against Illinois but also hits some of those wide open receivers on play action because of it. Michigan attempts one field goal and misses.

Purdue moves the ball on our defense but the D does step up with a couple of stops for us to open up a slight cushion.