ROMAD1

Who replaces Greg Robinson?

Before the Illinois game, ESPN talked about how last year .. after being 3-9, Ron Zook was told...

Changes are coming!

We can either change a few of the coaches around you .... or the HEAD COACH, and of course, Zook made the smart move. I am 100% convinced that David Brandon will do the same thing... Rich will do the same thing :bandit:

They don't!! They need a new defensive coordinator ... period!

This offense works. Not only does it work, it's clearly and by far the best in the Big Ten .. it's not even close!

Do you not see how this is going to turn around fast, once we get the defense in check? Seriously!

The offense does work but it isn't at all clear that it is the best in the Big 10. Hell, it isn't even clearly the best in the Big 10 if you just focus on standard stats (points and yards) both of which have issues.

Improving the defense will likely have negative effects on the offenses statistical production (especially if you are looking at yardage numbers).

The offense does work but it isn't at all clear that it is the best in the Big 10.

Yes, it is .. stats say so. It's not even close, and this entire offense returns next season!

We lose Steven Schilling to the NFL, but his backup can slide right in and perform.

Yes, the defense needs to improve - duh ... and Greg Robinson needs to be replaced, period.

Improving the defense will likely have negative effects on the offenses statistical production.

How does this even make sense? What, we'll have more time to score ... what?

If you look at West Virginia, under RR, they never stopped scoring .. even when up big, so they won't stop!

Sorry, you can't and won't convince me that a much better defense equals in some way ... less offense, sorry.

Rich Rod's offense, from that same school ... is the #1 ranked offense in the BIG TEN, and it's not even close.

Also, if you look at the alignment this season .. Greg doesn't always have people int he right spots on each given play. I read a breakdown on MGOBLOG, of how our 3-3-5 looks nothing like West Virginia .. in simple alignment, which has to speak volumes... This isn't Greg Robinson's defense. It's what Jeff Casteel does well.

That isn't my issue. I just wan't GERG gone and bring someone in who is a sound, proven defensive mind and let them do their thing. If that is the 3-3-5 and that person specializes in it, then sure. If it isn't the 3-3-5, I don't care. As long as the future DC is running his scheme and has control of the defense, I will be happy. The offense is absolutely no problem, if you wan't to pick at something you could say it's turnovers, which can be largely attributed to youth.

Yes, it is .. stats say so. It's not even close, and this entire offense returns next season!

We lose Steven Schilling to the NFL, but his backup can slide right in and perform.

Yes, the defense needs to improve - duh ... and Greg Robinson needs to be replaced, period.

Some stats probably do. Some stats definitely don't.

Robinson certainly needs to be replaced so at least we agree on something.

I don't want to run the 3-3-5 unless it's under Jeff Casteel!

I want to run whatever defense the guy we bring in wants to and feels comfortable running, period.

And RR has to oblige!

Some stats probably do. Some stats definitely don't.

Robinson certainly needs to be replaced so at least we agree on something.

We can agree to disagree :classic:

And yea, at least we can both agree on Robinson .. which is the point of this thread.

How does this even make sense? What, we'll have more time to score ... what?

If you look at West Virginia, under RR, they never stopped scoring .. even when up big, so they won't stop!

Sorry, you can't and won't convince me that a much better defense equals in some way ... less offense, sorry.

A better defense means a shorter field (more turnovers and forced punts), which means fewer yards to be gained. A better defense means fewer long plays against and can lead to longer drives against (in terms of time and yardage, but assuming a very good defense we'd be talking mostly about time here), which means fewer overall possessions. This leads to fewer points even if your offense is equally as good.

A better defense means a shorter field (more turnovers and forced punts), which means fewer yards to be gained. A better defense means fewer long plays against and can lead to longer drives against (in terms of time and yardage, but assuming a very good defense we'd be talking mostly about time here), which means fewer overall possessions. This leads to fewer points even if your offense is equally as good.

Check out Oregon.

I don't get how 14 or 15 wins in 3 years and 0-6 against your top rivals is good enough to keep your job at a place like Michigan.

Out of simple respect to the men that came before and built the program the bar should be much higher than he' shown steady improvement over 3 years to get to 6 wins and he's got an exciting offense.

I don't get how 14 or 15 wins in 3 years and 0-6 against your top rivals is good enough to keep your job at a place like Michigan.

Out of simple respect to the men that came before and built the program the bar should be much higher than he' shown steady improvement over 3 years to get to 6 wins and he's got an exciting offense.

I would much rather have this system, and the current improvement/exciting offense then have hired a guy who hasn't proven anything anywhere.

If the defense plays as well as it did against Illinois, I might be ok with keeping Greg one more year.

Check out Oregon.

Are you saying Oregon's offense is better this year on a per play basis because their defense has improved?

Personally, I'd argue that the defense is what it was before (though somewhat improved) and appears to be better primarily because of significant improvements by the offense. They are giving up the same number of yards per play as last year on defense while gaining a full yard extra per play on offense.

UM's offense needs to cut down on turnovers. An improved defense is not going to help them do that (more experience at QB and consistency at RB might though). An improved defense will help them win more games though and I'd expect improvement next year regardless of who the coaches are but it isn't going to help the offense and statistically it might hurt them (at least in terms of total yards).

I would much rather have this system, and the current improvement/exciting offense then have hired a guy who hasn't proven anything anywhere.

Ok, I'm not sure I agree as some of the best coaching hires were guys who hadn't proven themselvesd before, but I do understand the logic. If you knew that you could have a premier coach, would you still much rather have this system which has produced embarrasing results compared the accepted standard?

The problem with this team is their defense, and that'll be addressed with a new DC.

The offense, which is one of the best in the country .. is still very, very young!

The problem with this team is their defense, and that'll be addressed with a new DC.

The offense, which is one of the best in the country .. is still very, very young!

The biggest problem has been the defense. Still, special teams are a problem and recruiting is also far behind where its been in the past. Managing of game situations and making halftime and in game adjustments have been poor and average at best. All of these things fall right on the head coach.

Ok, I'm not sure I agree as some of the best coaching hires were guys who hadn't proven themselvesd before, but I do understand the logic. If you knew that you could have a premier coach, would you still much rather have this system which has produced embarrasing results compared the accepted standard?

Depends on who it is and what the situation is. If you are asking me after the 2007 season, I would have told you Rich Rodriguez. I was one of the biggest fans of this hire at the beginning. So I guess my opinion will be hard to judge for your particular question.

If you ask me right now, who would you rather have the coach at Michigan be in 2011, Jim Harbaugh(who I assume meets your criteria as a premier coach) or Rich Rodriguez, I would say Rich Rodriguez.

Hongbit can keep spinning, but at the end .. this is a thread about who replaces Greg Robinson.

Rich Rodriguez and his offense .. they're not going anywhere.

The recruiting has gone pretty well, besides a few bumps ... not sure where you got that from, but --- it is you!

EDIT: special teams and turnovers, I agree, they all need to be addressed .. but it's still a very young team.

If you ask me right now, who would you rather have the coach at Michigan be in 2011, Jim Harbaugh(who I assume meets your criteria as a premier coach) or Rich Rodriguez, I would say Rich Rodriguez.

Wow!

Ditka.

But I think it could just be someone like Ron English.

Ron English will not coach at UM again....EVER.

Not sure if that is what you are saying or that it could be someone in a similar position to RE when he was hired by Carr.

Wow!

Not sure how that gets a - wow, but this is you, so ... yea.

Getting a better defensive coordinator just makes too much sense!

This offense, one of thee very best in the country ... it's not going anywhere!

Go worry about your beloved Trojans ... they need it.

That's just sticking your head in the sand and shows your UM bias without rational grounds. Harbaugh has probably a tougher job than any other college football coach in the counrty. The fact that they are about a 1/2 game from being in the national title game is amazing. I'd like to see a bit longer track record from him, but to dismiss him in favor of RR given all the problems he's brough to Ann Arbor, is just crazy.

Didnt the D make a play to end the game?

Why did it take until the third overtime to get the defense to make a play?