ROMAD1

Who replaces Greg Robinson?

Name me a good candidate to replace him as DC.

Criteria:

- UM bloodlines (semi-important)

- Proven success

- Can recruit

Is it Greg Robinson or is it what seems to be (the impression that I get anyway) the overall culture of they can outscore anyone? I just don't see how the University of Michigan cannot find enough athletes to have at least a mediocre defense. This defense has been horrible. Robinson may not be helping the issue, but I'm not sure removing him corrects the real issue at hand. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

co-worker told me the other day that Syracuse has improved mightily since he departed that program...I am starting to think it is him. Although the talent cupboard may be bare as well.

It is partly him partly the youth and depth. I think the biggest issue facing this defense right now is all the injuries, youth, and overall lack of depth. However, it doesn't help when you have a bad coach. Greg Robinson hasn't done anything in about 11 years or so to prove he is a good coach. In fact he has done quite the opposite at every stop.

The key here is, with all these players gaining more experience and getting some injured players back, if you can bring in a solid defensive guy and let him run his system we may just take a decent leap forward on defense. I'm not saying we will be great, but if we can move up to just middle of the pack next year with all these offensive starters coming back, it could be special.

Name me a good candidate to replace him as DC.

Criteria:

- UM bloodlines (semi-important)

- Proven success

- Can recruit

I'd like to say I'll leave it to the new head coach. Rodriguez' defensive philosophy, the whole belief he can turn less highly regarded athletes into superior football players by putting them in the Barwis system, hasn't worked.

Brandon's making noise that he intends to keep Rodriguez around though, so I wish them luck finding a big name defensive coordinator. He'll have his challenges, not the least of which is an offense that tends to lose the time of possession battle.

I'd like to say I'll leave it to the new head coach. Rodriguez' defensive philosophy, the whole belief he can turn less highly regarded athletes into superior football players by putting them in the Barwis system, hasn't worked.

Brandon's making noise that he intends to keep Rodriguez around though, so I wish them luck finding a big name defensive coordinator. He'll have his challenges, not the least of which is an offense that tends to lose the time of possession battle.

I actually think the Barwis system proved pretty effective yesterday. I felt like going into overtime we had the better conditioned team and I think it showed.

Sadly I think Robinson will be around. They will blame this season on injuries and youth. They wont look at the fact that this defense has gotten WORSE week after week. If they were being coached we would see improvement, and we don't. Its depressing.

Sadly I think Robinson will be around. They will blame this season on injuries and youth. They wont look at the fact that this defense has gotten WORSE week after week. If they were being coached we would see improvement, and we don't. Its depressing.

I agree, there is enough excuses to go around for the AD to think its not Greg Robinsons fault. Some of that thinking may be correct but I still hope he goes. If we could just get a mediocre defense with this offense, wow.

I actually think the Barwis system proved pretty effective yesterday. I felt like going into overtime we had the better conditioned team and I think it showed.

In a neck and neck game I'm not sure Michigan showed themselves to be better conditioned. More than that though was all the nonsense that accompanied Barwis' arrival in Ann Arbor. He was supposed to change Carr's alleged country club atmosphere and magically transform athletes by scrapping Gittleson's power-focused program. Turns out though, by the Wisconsin game, Rodriguez was commenting on the size and strength of the Badgers and Barwis has quietly brought back some of Gittleson's approach.

Sorry for going off-topic but this is one of my major problems with Rodriguez and crew. They rolled into Ann Arbor with an amazing arrogance and all we get are a thousand excuses. Nothing much is ever said about all of the advantages they had in terms of facilities, money, fan-base, recruiting resources, tradition, etc.

In a neck and neck game I'm not sure Michigan showed themselves to be better conditioned. More than that though was all the nonsense that accompanied Barwis' arrival in Ann Arbor. He was supposed to change Carr's alleged country club atmosphere and magically transform athletes by scrapping Gittleson's power-focused program. Turns out though, by the Wisconsin game, Rodriguez was commenting on the size and strength of the Badgers and Barwis has quietly brought back some of Gittleson's approach.

Sorry for going off-topic but this is one of my major problems with Rodriguez and crew. They rolled into Ann Arbor with an amazing arrogance and all we get are a thousand excuses. Nothing much is ever said about all of the advantages they had in terms of facilities, money, fan-base, recruiting resources, tradition, etc.

I disagree. I have heard former players complain that there was too much of a country club atmosphere. I have also heard former players complain that they are being over worked to the Free Press. Obviously the NCAA found those allegations to be far less serious than the Freep made it out to be. However to me, all signs seem to point to the conditioning situation to be more rigorous. I think if you want to point a finger at someone for something it would be the recruiting by RR on the defensive side of the ball. It has been less than stellar so far. Barwis isn't going to be able to whip these true freshmen into incredible Big Ten condition in a couple of months.

All that being said I stand by my statement that when the game was going into overtime and beyond it seemed like to me Michigan players were better conditioned and less tired.

Just looked at casteel's record...pretty good stuff.

I've been looking at the Schembechler coaching tree. Not sure if I've found a good website for that. I guess I'll try Woody's tree and see if anyone's got a comprehensive one.

I disagree. I have heard former players complain that there was too much of a country club atmosphere. I have also heard former players complain that they are being over worked to the Free Press. Obviously the NCAA found those allegations to be far less serious than the Freep made it out to be. However to me, all signs seem to point to the conditioning situation to be more rigorous. I think if you want to point a finger at someone for something it would be the recruiting by RR on the defensive side of the ball. It has been less than stellar so far. Barwis isn't going to be able to whip these true freshmen into incredible Big Ten condition in a couple of months.

All that being said I stand by my statement that when the game was going into overtime and beyond it seemed like to me Michigan players were better conditioned and less tired.

I'm pretty good friends with some former players including a starting OL and LB and disagree with your characterization. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that, led by fans who don't seem to know better, there was an expectation that Barwis was going to turn water into wine, that Gittleson was in the dark ages. Sure, Barwis brought some changes and improvements but to act as if nobody did anything as well as Rodriguez and company were going to do it was ridiculous.

I am just hoping that Harbaugh doesnt get a pro job before Michigan figures out they need him

I'm pretty good friends with some former players including a starting OL and LB and disagree with your characterization. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that, led by fans who don't seem to know better, there was an expectation that Barwis was going to turn water into wine, that Gittleson was in the dark ages. Sure, Barwis brought some changes and improvements but to act as if nobody did anything as well as Rodriguez and company were going to do it was ridiculous.

I agree with you to an extent. I was just pointing out how well conditioned our players seemed Saturday. Don't forget, this offense runs so up tempo, no time to take a breath in the huddle. Play after play after play. If you watch, you will see defenders that looks like they are just trying to grasp for air while Michigan is at the line ready for another snap. I am not saying strength and conditioning didn't exist under Carr, but it looks pretty good right now.

Jeff Casteel, or someone that'll come in with a proven track record and instill their defense from day one!

I think Casteel will be the head coach at WVU next year.

co-worker told me the other day that Syracuse has improved mightily since he departed that program...I am starting to think it is him. Although the talent cupboard may be bare as well.

Take a look at the Syracuse D coordinator.....the guy that was so bad at Michigan, has turned that D into top 15 nationally. I think it's more RR's philosophy on recruiting and the cupboard being bare (which 3 years in is the HC's fault).

This.

I'm not a fan of Robinson, but I'm not sure anyone could have a strong D with the guys we have on that side of the ball. The fact that Shafer is now a beast at Syracuse after sucking here, leads me to believe it's not necessarily the coordinators fault all the time. With the extreme lack of talent and depth at D after 3 years, that goes on Rich Rod IMO.

I dont know why everyone is so high on Casteel. Does no one else find it odd that the WVU defense didnt become good and nationally recognized until the Big East restructured? Long gone were the top programs of Miami (FL), Virgina Tech and Boston College as they were replaced by Louisville, South Florida, UCONN and Cincinnati. Another Rich Rod good ole boys club guy? No thanks.

I am just hoping that Harbaugh doesnt get a pro job before Michigan figures out they need him

They don't!! They need a new defensive coordinator ... period!

This offense works. Not only does it work, it's clearly and by far the best in the Big Ten .. it's not even close!

Do you not see how this is going to turn around fast, once we get the defense in check? Seriously!

I dont know why everyone is so high on Casteel. Does no one else find it odd that the WVU defense didnt become good and nationally recognized until the Big East restructured? Long gone were the top programs of Miami (FL), Virgina Tech and Boston College as they were replaced by Louisville, South Florida, UCONN and Cincinnati. Another Rich Rod good ole boys club guy? No thanks.

Rich Rod's offense, from that same school ... is the #1 ranked offense in the BIG TEN, and it's not even close.

Also, if you look at the alignment this season .. Greg doesn't always have people int he right spots on each given play. I read a breakdown on MGOBLOG, of how our 3-3-5 looks nothing like West Virginia .. in simple alignment, which has to speak volumes... This isn't Greg Robinson's defense. It's what Jeff Casteel does well.