G.Reaper

The new "Super" drunk law...

in Michigan goes into affect on Sunday, anyone drinking and driving had better be really careful and if caught, you are screwed.

This new law will pretty much curtail me from any drinking and driving from now on.

Michigan's new 'super-drunk' law goes into effect Sunday | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal

Those who drink excessively and get behind the wheel may be in a sobering reality beginning Sunday.

New laws go into effect that double the jail sentences and license suspensions for first-time offenders who are convicted of having higher blood-alcohol levels while driving and expand the use of substance abuse treatment programs.

State officials say the “super-drunk” legislation is designed to target those first-time offenders who apparently have a serious drinking problem.

“When you get super-drunk, it becomes exceptionally dangerous,” said state Sen. Alan Cropsey, R-DeWitt, a sponsor of the legislation.

The new law essentially creates a new class of blood-alcohol content of 0.17 percent or higher for more serious first-time offenders; that’s slightly more than twice the minimum of 0.08 percent now required for a drunken-driving conviction.

Those convicted of the higher blood-alcohol level will get an automatic one-year driver’s license suspension -- twice the current penalty -- and would face 180 days in jail, which is roughly twice the current maximum.

They also face bigger fines and mandatory treatment for substance abuse.

Judge Harvey Hoffman of District 56A Court in Charlotte said substance abuse treatment for serious first-time offenders is critical to reducing the alcohol dependence and further offenses. Substance abuse treatment now is used more commonly for repeat offenders.

“The average person, if they a blow a 0.20, and you’re up and functioning enough to operate a motor vehicle, it shows you have an elevated tolerance to alcohol,” said Hoffman, who has dealt with drunken drivers for 14 years as a judge. “That’s pretty good proof you are dealing with someone who has a significant alcohol problem.”

I like my beer, but I would support that statute here in Fl. If I purchase that third cup of beer during the 4 hours I am usually at the ballpark, I would not drive.

i miss the days when i could get super drunk (and there were a lot of those days...)

When are they going to roll out the teleporters so I dont have to worry about getting super drunk and then driving?

I am all for getting the drunks off the streets. Too many innocent people are killed by drunk drivers all the time. I have already pretty muched stopped my after work on the way home drinking sice we moved to the counrty.

All in all it is not worth the gamble of having a few beers and getting behind the wheel. I guess I have finally grown up....naaaaaaaaa.

i miss the days when i could get super drunk (and there were a lot of those days...)
Actually, I wonder now what that would take for me. Can't remember the last time I realized I had too much to cope with normal things. My beer tolerance can be amazing. I've been walking out of a convenience store with two 18 packs and been asked: "Having a party?". My response is no, just don't want to come back later.

This is why i have a kegerator, a 52 in tv and the sports packages @ home. Don't need to leave. :)
My kegerator is still not okay with TeamMom. But the day will come. I've said no new car without the kegerator.

Super drunks (behind the wheel) are super stupid and I think this is great law. Back in my younger days I drove super duper drunk way too many times. Luckily I didn't take out a family of four with my ignorant actions. I'm all for the teleporter option but by then they will have a pill you can take to sober you up completely before you drive.

My kegerator is still not okay with TeamMom. But the day will come. I've said no new car without the kegerator.

I want one. This sounds like something I should invest in.

They need to stiffen ALL penalties for drunk driving. This may just be the pain and rage of losing my fiance to a drunk driver, but current penalties are a joke.

Strike 1: Lose your licence for a year and pay a fine of at least $1000 that can in no way be reduced, for any reason.

Strike 2: Lose your licence for five years and pay a fine of at least $2500 that can in no way be reduced.

Strike 3: Lose your licence permanently and pay a fine of at least $5000 that can in no way be reduced, for any reason.

Of course, this would just cause more people driving around without a license, but that causes other issues for them.

They need to stiffen ALL penalties for drunk driving. This may just be the pain and rage of losing my fiance to a drunk driver, but current penalties are a joke.

Strike 1: Lose your licence for a year and pay a fine of at least $1000 that can in no way be reduced, for any reason.

Strike 2: Lose your licence for five years and pay a fine of at least $2500 that can in no way be reduced.

Strike 3: Lose your licence permanently and pay a fine of at least $5000 that can in no way be reduced, for any reason.

Of course, this would just cause more people driving around without a license, but that causes other issues for them.

Those cash fines are higher right now for first offense than you have for the 3rd (well, if you count lawyer fees and what not)

I think it's a more than fair policy to have.

"

Those cash fines are higher right now for first offense than you have for the 3rd (well, if you count lawyer fees and what not)

I should have been more clear. Thats just the fine, in addition to any lawyer fees/court costs/insurance. Thats just a "you were an idiot, heres the penalty" price.

Edited by Shinma

I'll believe this when I see it work. I'm all for the idea, but I've seen too many times where a prosecuting attorney pleas down & pleas down just to get a conviction on his record - & meanwhile there's a jackass out there drinking & driving & yet to pay for it in anyway. I know of 1 who has been stopped 6 times for drinking & driving in the last year or 2. He's done ZERO time.

I'm all for the teleporter option but by then they will have a pill you can take to sober you up completely before you drive.

Where can I contribute (monetarily) for either one of these causes? We need Michael J. Fox to be the face of this.

Drunk driving first offense = 1 year in prison. No questions.

Second offense = 5 years in prison.

Third offense = third strike. Enjoy your 6x6 for the rest of your life.

in Michigan goes into affect on Sunday, anyone drinking and driving had better be really careful and if caught, you are screwed.

This new law will pretty much curtail me from any drinking and driving from now on.

good to see you werent curtailed before.