Deleterious

You have to wonder if rookie Greg Monroe will measure up

I here a lot of talk about how bad Joey D has been lately.

Would Mr. Ilitch fire Joey D?

I agree with those who say we need to play Monroe. But let me make a few points:

1. Even though our frontcourt may suck, he is at best our 4th best big man right now, probably 5th. (I would order them Wallace, CV, Maxiell, Daye, Monroe.)

2. We can't play him ahead of Wallace. That is obvious. We really can't play him ahead of CV. He is just better, still young, and we need him to have a good year to possibly trade him. So it either comes down to Maxiell or Daye. Daye is another young guy we are developing so it does not make a lot of sense to take away minutes from Daye and give them to Monroe. So that leaves Maxiell. Not a lot of minutes there.

3. Even though we are rebuilding, you still have to play your best players as much as possible early in the season. Otherwise, you develop a losing culture that leads to franchise doom.

So while I agree he needs to play, this is one area I am willing to give Kuester a break on, at least for the first few weeks of the season.

Daye should never see any time at PF. Max should never see any time at C and probably not PF either. CV can play C but I think is much better at PF. With Ben and his age, he should never see more than 20 minutes a game. Last year he came out of the gate good but you could see as the year went on, the minutes started to add up and slow him down until his body eventually broke down. Keeping him under 20 minutes a night lets them have him all year. That leaves a ton of minutes left at C for Monroe. The rotation should be CV/Max at PF and Ben/Monroe at C. If you must play Daye at PF let him replace Max and backup both forward spots. But I still think its a big mistake playing him at PF.

Daye should never see any time at PF. Max should never see any time at C and probably not PF either. CV can play C but I think is much better at PF. With Ben and his age, he should never see more than 20 minutes a game. Last year he came out of the gate good but you could see as the year went on, the minutes started to add up and slow him down until his body eventually broke down. Keeping him under 20 minutes a night lets them have him all year. That leaves a ton of minutes left at C for Monroe. The rotation should be CV/Max at PF and Ben/Monroe at C. If you must play Daye at PF let him replace Max and backup both forward spots. But I still think its a big mistake playing him at PF.

We disagree on Daye and that is not going to change. If Daye was not here, then there would be more than enough minutes for Monroe.

Skinniest kid at fat camp?

i can jump higher than monroe.

color me unimpressed so far.

i can jump higher than monroe.

color me unimpressed so far.

Didn't you laugh at me when I brought that and other things up after the draft?

I just can't believe that Jay Bilas was shouting from the mountaintops to pick Monroe over Cousins. I don't trust anything that guy says from now until forever.

Didn't you laugh at me when I brought that and other things up after the draft?

Me? I don't know. I don't remember doing that, but you never know. i've laughed at you for so many things that they all blur together after awhile...:cheeky:

It's only the first game. Maybe Kuesters is sending a message to Monroe that dogging it in the preseason doesn't equate to minutes in the regular season. I'll wait to see if he gets worked into the rotation. Why hand a guy minutes who didn't earn them?

This team is not a championship contender, and i would argue to you that they're already lottery bound. I dont need to see Ben Wallace anymore, and i never needed to see Charlie V, and Max is just stealing money. Let the kid play. Let him make mistakes, let him learn, let him improve. WTF do they have to lose?

I just can't believe that Jay Bilas was shouting from the mountaintops to pick Monroe over Cousins. I don't trust anything that guy says from now until forever.

I forgot about that. Jay Bilas did nothing but talk trash about Cousins and sing the praises of Monore. For a guy who only watches college basketball he should not be this far off base. I dont remember watching many, if any, Hoya games last year. I saw a good amount of Cousins and he always looked good. I believe Joe D could have traded up, but he seemed sold on Monroe.

You think we're (or I'll speak for myself) crybabies here, I don't even want you to see me while watching the games.

I almost get divorced every time I watch the Jets or the Miami Hurricanes...chicks just don't understand.

I almost get divorced every time I watch the Jets or the Miami Hurricanes...chicks just don't understand.

Got that right. I once broke up with a girl because she didnt think it was ok to watch every tigers game. And that summer (08) I was only watching sparingly due to the poor start, and she still couldnt take it. Its a good thing her and I didnt make it to football/basketball/hockey season. Sports are real.

Got that right. I once broke up with a girl because she didnt think it was ok to watch every tigers game. And that summer (08) I was only watching sparingly due to the poor start, and she still couldnt take it. Its a good thing her and I didnt make it to football/basketball/hockey season. Sports are real.

My wife knew I was a huge Detroit sports fan, but our first years or marriage, we lived in Chicago, and we didn't have anything special to watch the Lions, Pistons, Wings or Tigers. Back then, the Wings were on their way to win a few Stanley Cups, so were on TV a lot. The Tigers played the Sox, and for the Lions I went home for every home game, or went to a sports bar where the Lions games would be on, if they weren't on my regular TV. The Pistons were not very good back then and were hardly ever on TV. I got to watch the occasional game against the Bulls. Oh, for the Tigers at the time, the games were free on the internet as well. I'd get home at night and listen to the games on the archives. She probably thought she got a good dose of what it would be like to live with me from that, but it wasn't until we moved back to Michigan that it really sunk in.

She found out the Tigers really DO play just about every day. Most of those games I listened to on the archives was at about 1 a.m., when she was asleep. I felt like I died and went to heaven because I could watch the Pistons again - almost 82 games worth a year as opposed to about five. Plus, about a year after we moved back, the Pistons started going deep into the playoffs, more like 90+ games a year. I've kind of lost interest in the Wings, but now there are about five CMU football games a year on TV and living here, we can go to another couple a season. Of course, if we still lived in Illinois, I would've gotten at least XM/Sirius radio by now so I could get all the Pistons, Lions and Tigers games, but back then that wasn't an option or I didn't know much about that option. She's realizing now how good she had it in Illinois.

Although I'd really like to see some stretches with Ben and Monroe on the court together, I mostly agree with your breakdown here. The kid needs to play and Daye should be primarily a SF. We don't need Max to log 1 minute and Ben should be averaging about 20-24.

So thats two games in a row where Monroe didnt see the floor. Yet somehow Kuester can find 25 minutes for Maxiell. Glad to see our top pick will be glued to the bench.

So thats two games in a row where Monroe didnt see the floor. Yet somehow Kuester can find 25 minutes for Maxiell. Glad to see our top pick will be glued to the bench.

I can see playing Max in NJ. He had a good game that night. But last night he was back to his old self. Toss in how bad Daye played, and you had plenty of spots to grab minutes for Monroe.

Maybe tonight on the back end of two games in two nights, plus travel.

I can see playing Max in NJ. He had a good game that night. But last night he was back to his old self. Toss in how bad Daye played, and you had plenty of spots to grab minutes for Monroe.

Maybe tonight on the back end of two games in two nights, plus travel.

I will be pretty disappointed if Monroe doesnt see any minutes tonight. McGrady only played 6 minutes last night as well, maybe they were saving him for the back to back. Even though he isnt 100 percent he looks to be our best player IQ wise. He makes the right read. If he can get healthy I wouldnt mind seeing the offense run through him with both Stuckey and Gordon playing off the ball.