Deleterious

You have to wonder if rookie Greg Monroe will measure up

Pistons blog: You have to wonder if rookie Greg Monroe will measure up | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

You have to wonder if rookie Greg Monroe will measure up

NEW YORK - As usual when flying out of the Big Apple, the flight is delayed. So I figured now would be a good time to check in with the biggest development from Wednesday night.

As you know, the Pistons dropped the season opener to the Nets by blowing a seven-point lead in the last 1:40 to fall, 101-98.

Tough loss, but not exactly unexpected since it was a road game and the Nets were energized by playing the first game at the Prudential. And they will be much improved under first-year coach Avery Johnson.

But with the Pistons struggling with the size of Brook Lopez and Derrick Favors for much of the evening, the team's biggest player didn't touch the floor.

Pistons first-round pick Greg Monroe got a DNP-coach's decision, and it wasn't shocking for those who have been paying attention. From Pistons coach John Kuester's comments saying Monroe has to improve his motor, you could tell moments like Wednesday night would occur.

A fellow scribe overheard Kuester imploring Monroe to run harder in the team's last preseason game.

You have to wonder if Monroe will ever meet Kuester's demands because it's highly unlikely the skilled but laidback rookie from Georgetown will ever be described as high-energy.

It's obviously a situation that bears watching.

Its totally inexcusable that this kid gets a DNP-CD. As a unit, the Piston bigs are one of the worst in the league. The fact they cant find 1 minute for him is mind blowing.

Agreed. I don't care if he can't motor for 40 minutes. He needs at least 15 a game right now to make any sort of progress.

This team is in the gutter. He is their most recent 1st round pick. HE NEEDS TO PLAY.

Pistons blog: You have to wonder if rookie Greg Monroe will measure up | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Its totally inexcusable that this kid gets a DNP-CD. As a unit, the Piston bigs are one of the worst in the league. The fact they cant find 1 minute for him is mind blowing.

This is what probably upset me most from last night. I know Kuester isnt really a good caliber NBA coach, but he seems really lost with player rotation and lineup decisions. It just gets uglier. Joe Dumars has hired, and fired some really bad coaches. Curry and Kuester the last three years? Give me a break.

And why start Daye after his terrifc pre-season if youre not going to play him down the stretch? Why continue to draw up plays for stuckey when its crunch time. And all you hear Kuester say is "Stuckey played a heck of a ball game." Yeah, right.

If it continues all season, I'd agree. But, I have no issues with a coach trying to make someone earn their minutes. If they are "given" to him and his work ethic already is crap or it's clear to those at practice that he's getting overwhelmed, then there's less reason to improve. A rookie not playing one game on a team that stinks isn't going to rock my world. If you can, let's see if he can earn that playing time in practice. There will come a time though where I'll wear thin on this viewpoint, and the Pistons will be forced to see what they have. Like you said, their frontcourt stinks and this team isn't going anywhere. They need to take stock with what they have and give him every chance to develop this season. That means playing. But, for a week it would be nice to see him have a couple strong playing sessions and then give him the time as though he's earned it. Something earned is always embraced much more than something that is just given. And, it's early enough in the season for the Pistons to follow that rule, if they are. Like I said, if its game 20 and he's had Darko minutes through those 20 games, I'll have issues. Eventually, he's got to start getting some sort of rotation minutes.

You have to wonder if Monroe will ever meet Kuester's demands because it's highly unlikely the skilled but laidback rookie from Georgetown will ever be described as high-energy.

Then why draft him!?

In the end it all comes down to Dumars' roster decisions, which lately have been a giant cluster****. He's implemented a"throw as much **** on the wall as you can and see what sticks" strategy, and right now that roster certainly does smell like it.

If it continues all season, I'd agree. But, I have no issues with a coach trying to make someone earn their minutes. If they are "given" to him and his work ethic already is crap or it's clear to those at practice that he's getting overwhelmed, then there's less reason to improve. A rookie not playing one game on a team that stinks isn't going to rock my world. If you can, let's see if he can earn that playing time in practice. There will come a time though where I'll wear thin on this viewpoint, and the Pistons will be forced to see what they have. Like you said, their frontcourt stinks and this team isn't going anywhere. They need to take stock with what they have and give him every chance to develop this season. That means playing. But, for a week it would be nice to see him have a couple strong playing sessions and then give him the time as though he's earned it. Something earned is always embraced much more than something that is just given. And, it's early enough in the season for the Pistons to follow that rule, if they are. Like I said, if its game 20 and he's had Darko minutes through those 20 games, I'll have issues. Eventually, he's got to start getting some sort of rotation minutes.

I agree for the most part. My philosophy is play the heck out of him as long as he is trying hard. I don't care about mistakes, he will make a ton. I wouldn't remove him for making them. Last thing you want is Monroe looking over his shoulder expecting to get yanked. As long as the effort is there, I would play him till he dropped.

I guess I am a little suspect of the fellow scribe line. As far as I know thats the first anyone has ever mentioned he isn't working hard. Odd we first hear about it after his first DNP-CD.

Kuester has several veterans on his roster who are average to mediocre who all believe they should get starting minutes. He will have a challenge juggling all of the demands for playing time from veterans, and it's usually easier to keep rookies on the bench as they've not yet "earned" the right to demand playing time. I can see a scenario like this playing out this year at Monroe's expense.

Kuester has several veterans on his roster who are average to mediocre who all believe they should get starting minutes. He will have a challenge juggling all of the demands for playing time from veterans, and it's usually easier to keep rookies on the bench as they've not yet "earned" the right to demand playing time. I can see a scenario like this playing out this year at Monroe's expense.

Yeah, I can see that happening too. Would be a huge mistake IMO.

OK, maybe I was wrong when I said this is the first time we heard this about Monroe. From his draft profile:

Greg Monroe | NBADraft.net

Takes a passive approach to the game ... Rarely looks to dominate, choosing rather to take what comes to him and often defers to others. (In fairness, the Georgetown system stresses team play and limits individual creativity) ... Lacks the killer instinct to bury his opponent ... Often times look disinterested in playing and appears he would rather be some place else ...

Well if this continues we got Darko part 2. Big guy with potential (apparently) who gets stuck at the end of the bench and doesn't get enough PT to develop. If they aren't going to play him against big guys then what the hell did they draft him for? I don't want him out there 40 minutes as a rookie, but I want him in the system contributing and making progress as a player. That is Kuester's job to improve him as a player and that won't happen by having him sit the bench night in and night out.

I agree for the most part. My philosophy is play the heck out of him as long as he is trying hard. I don't care about mistakes, he will make a ton. I wouldn't remove him for making them. Last thing you want is Monroe looking over his shoulder expecting to get yanked. As long as the effort is there, I would play him till he dropped.

I guess I am a little suspect of the fellow scribe line. As far as I know thats the first anyone has ever mentioned he isn't working hard. Odd we first hear about it after his first DNP-CD.

I understand your point as well. And, honestly, I don't think he was probably sat for my counter-point as much as he probably didn't play because in general NBA coaches do what they think will help them win on that day more than player development for rookie players that may or may not help you that season. But, if I was coach, I could've seen me not playing him in that game if I felt he didn't earn the PT. Eventually, you have to give in because you want to develop that player, but game 1 isn't the place to draw the line in the sand. But, certainly, game #20 or probably even #10 is waiting too long as well. I agree, you need to get him a part of the rotation as soon as it makes sense. I don't want to be watching games on the west coast in a couple weeks and still not see him not playing any meaningful rotations.

I understand your point as well. And, honestly, I don't think he was probably sat for my counter-point as much as he probably didn't play because in general NBA coaches do what they think will help them win on that day more than player development for rookie players that may or may not help you that season. But, if I was coach, I could've seen me not playing him in that game if I felt he didn't earn the PT. Eventually, you have to give in because you want to develop that player, but game 1 isn't the place to draw the line in the sand. But, certainly, game #20 or probably even #10 is waiting too long as well. I agree, you need to get him a part of the rotation as soon as it makes sense. I don't want to be watching games on the west coast in a couple weeks and still not see him not playing any meaningful rotations.

As a coach, I would be willing to play anyone over Maxiell, he wouldnt see the floor if it was my choice. Sure he hussles and gets a few rebounds, but the man has the worst hands and is just too undersized to help a team. He hurts the cause more than he helps it.

Not getting to see Monroe last night was very frustrating. Especially with Favors looking good for the Nets. He was also the first guy off their bench I believe.

Monroe ran the floor pretty well in the summer league I thought. Was up on fast breaks and was a part of them. Just give the guy some minutes and see what he can give us. The season is already a lost cause. Drawing up plays for Stuckey, playing Maxiell all the time, and sitting Daye and Monroe will do nothing for the team.

The season is already a lost cause. Drawing up plays for Stuckey, playing Maxiell all the time, and sitting Daye and Monroe will do nothing for the team.

You would think Dumars would see the writing on the wall for this group and concede to an honest rebuilding effort. The 2004 season might have done more harm for the future than it did good at the time!

I guess Joe Dumars ignored that part of it.

At this point, I seriously think Joe has no clue.

He preaches getting back to "Toughness" and "Determination", but you don't go about it by signing and drafting the types of players that he has signed and drafted over the past few years.

It really makes no sense, and Monroe is just another example. Everybody knew this about him when they read the draft profile or even watched a youtube clip of him going up soft against guys half his size, whereas a guy like Cousins goes through his opponent (logged 27 minutes in the Kings opener, 14pts, 8 reb, 5 ast).

But that's ok, let's just let CV log 22 minutes and jack up 9 - yes, that's a nine - three pointers while getting just 3 rebounds from the PF position. All while looking as doughy as ever, even though he supposedly spent the summer working out. Whatever.

Its one game. Stop being whining crybabies about everything, its insufferable.

Rather high handed statement if I ever heard one. Its not one game, its the same story as last year. The same issues that plagued the Pistons last year were the same problems that caused us to lose the game last night.

I assume that your browser has a URL at the top of it which allows you to go to other websites if you want?

But, should you choose to read what's posted here, know that much of it will not be positive in nature due to the current state of the team.

I assume that your browser has a URL at the top of it which allows you to go to other websites if you want?

But, should you choose to read what's posted here, know that much of it will not be positive in nature due to the current state of the team.

+1

I don't think being concerned about the number 7 overall pick not seeing a single minute is being a crybaby either.

You think we're (or I'll speak for myself) crybabies here, I don't even want you to see me while watching the games.

You think we're (or I'll speak for myself) crybabies here, I don't even want you to see me while watching the games.

I hear ya on that one, DTroppens. I have a lot of trouble at games because my seats are right in the section where the player's wives sit. In fact, Max's wife is about 10 seats away from me...I do my best to make my complaints at a volume that only my wife sitting next to me can hear :cheeky:

Greg Monroe | NBADraft.net

Takes a passive approach to the game ... Rarely looks to dominate, choosing rather to take what comes to him and often defers to others. (In fairness, the Georgetown system stresses team play and limits individual creativity) ... Lacks the killer instinct to bury his opponent ... Often times look disinterested in playing and appears he would rather be some place else ...

Ha, that was me during their first game.

I agree with those who say we need to play Monroe. But let me make a few points:

1. Even though our frontcourt may suck, he is at best our 4th best big man right now, probably 5th. (I would order them Wallace, CV, Maxiell, Daye, Monroe.)

2. We can't play him ahead of Wallace. That is obvious. We really can't play him ahead of CV. He is just better, still young, and we need him to have a good year to possibly trade him. So it either comes down to Maxiell or Daye. Daye is another young guy we are developing so it does not make a lot of sense to take away minutes from Daye and give them to Monroe. So that leaves Maxiell. Not a lot of minutes there.

3. Even though we are rebuilding, you still have to play your best players as much as possible early in the season. Otherwise, you develop a losing culture that leads to franchise doom.

So while I agree he needs to play, this is one area I am willing to give Kuester a break on, at least for the first few weeks of the season.