CapitalTigers

Tigers Officially Re-sign Brandon Inge

What a load of crap.
Citing his zero Gold Gloves was sheer brilliance, lol. Any baseball fan with a clue knows that the Gold Glove award is worthless. He also conveniently overlooked how few errors Inge had in 2010, and failed to propose any alternatives to Inge whatsoever. Edited by DaYooperASBDT

2010 Regular Season MLB Baseball 3B Fielding Statistics - Major League Baseball - ESPN

While fielding percentage isn't a great stat, it's interesting that Brandon had the best fielding percentage in the AL because all of his detractors say how he blows too many routine plays. Plus, of the 3 main categories (%, zone rating, range factor), Inge was better than Longoria and Beltre in 5/6 categories. . . and that was with major surgery on 2 knees. I understand the frustration that is a Brandon Inge at bat, I get that, but to criticize the man's defense is just plain ignorant. He's a superstar fielder. It's a shame, we have just one pitcher who can get anyone to hit a ground ball to 3b.

2010 Regular Season MLB Baseball 3B Fielding Statistics - Major League Baseball - ESPN

While fielding percentage isn't a great stat, it's interesting that Brandon had the best fielding percentage in the AL because all of his detractors say how he blows too many routine plays. Plus, of the 3 main categories (%, zone rating, range factor), Inge was better than Longoria and Beltre in 5/6 categories. . . and that was with major surgery on 2 knees. I understand the frustration that is a Brandon Inge at bat, I get that, but to criticize the man's defense is just plain ignorant. He's a superstar fielder. It's a shame, we have just one pitcher who can get anyone to hit a ground ball to 3b.

Yup, how the fixed knees play out eventually with respect to his range may be unknown, but no question that the better throwing base went a long way toward improving accuracy.

Defense doesn't count, Jake, remember?

Not on message boards. Until you get fantasy points for DP's started, assists, putouts, etc., defense in baseball will go largely unrecognized. If Inge got fantasy points for those things the last 5 years, he'd have been the #1 3b pick in the draft every year.

I don't care how good of defense he plays when his offense costs the Tigers WAY more runs every year than his defense saves.

Not on message boards. Until you get fantasy points for DP's started, assists, putouts, etc., defense in baseball will go largely unrecognized. If Inge got fantasy points for those things the last 5 years, he'd have been the #1 3b pick in the draft every year.

I once played in a fantasy league where they used double plays. DP isn't a good stat for real baseball but it's a good fantasy stat, because it gives more value to middle infielders who are sometimes ignored in fantasy baseball.

UZR and DRS are better than range factor and zone rating:

Major League Leaderboards » 2010 » Third Basemen » Fielding Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

I don't care how good of defense he plays when his offense costs the Tigers WAY more runs every year than his defense saves.

Ratings from fangraphs (hitting is inclusive of positional adjustment, but not including adjustment vs. replacement players):

2006: hitting +1.5/fielding +19

2007: hitting -11.5/fielding +11.2

2008: hitting -6.2/fielding +4.1

2009: hitting -5.6/fielding +6.6

2010: hitting -1.9/fielding +3.3

I'd say he's filled an important position reliably at a pretty reasonable price, and while he hasn't made a big apparent contribution towards winning since 2006, he's never hurt the team performance-wise either, contrary to what you suggest.

Ratings from fangraphs (hitting is inclusive of positional adjustment, but not including adjustment vs. replacement players):

2006: hitting +1.5/fielding +19

2007: hitting -11.5/fielding +11.2

2008: hitting -6.2/fielding +4.1

2009: hitting -5.6/fielding +6.6

2010: hitting -1.9/fielding +3.3

I'd say he's filled an important position reliably at a pretty reasonable price, and while he hasn't made a big apparent contribution towards winning since 2006, he's never hurt the team performance-wise either, contrary to what you suggest.

+1 A voice of reason and intellect in our midst.:happy:

While fielding percentage isn't a great stat, it's interesting that Brandon had the best fielding percentage in the AL because all of his detractors say how he blows too many routine plays. .

J Peralta 100 games @ 3B in 2010, .982 FPCT

O Viquel 83 games @ #3B in 2010 .979 FPCT

B Inge 144 games @ 3B in 2010 .977 FPCT

Arod 124 games @ 3B in 2010 .976 FPCT

Remember guys, major league third basemen fall from the trees like the leaves of Autumn.

Even Don Kelly would be a better option there. :classic:

who is this Don Kelly, can we get him -- what is his OE%

I'm so sick of waiting for the World Series to be over so we can start making some of these moves.