CapitalTigers

Tigers Officially Re-sign Brandon Inge

LOL Inge is going to be the sole reason the Tigers don't win the division. Minnesota won a division title with Castillo, Bartlett, and Punto starting in the infield, neither of which had a slugging % of 400 or better.

I don't get the obsession with Beltre. He had one good season in Los Angeles that landed him a huge contract. Prior to that season he had 3 consecutive sub 730 OPS seasons. In Seattle he one season with an 800 OPS. There was a reason he signed with Boston for one year. In the past 10 years, he's had 3 seasons with an OPS of 800 or higher. He'll sign at the very least for 5 years and 50 million. The Tigers drafted a 3B. The two year contract to Inge gives them time to let Castellanos develop and if he isn't ready, they can pick up Inge's option for another year. I'd rather have 12 million locked into a 720 OPS guy like Inge, than a 750 OPS guy like Beltre for 50 million.

Juan Uribe for starters.

Really? I got the impression he's not a very good fielder. Granted, I haven't been watching Giants games very closely this year.

And who says the guy has to be a current 3B? There's a team currently still playing in the post-season who's been key offensively for his team and is a top 5 defensive 3B in all of MLB, but he didn't play 3B last season or really much ever before in his MLB career.

Are you talking about A-Rod?

I'd hope quite a few would be able to considering the Tigers see so much of the Twins.

Yeah, no kidding. Valencia was a big part of the Twins push to the post season, coming up mid year and hitting

.311 AVG

.351 OBP

.448 SLG

And Valencia will only get better with the glove in the coming seasons (as Inge improved each season when he first shifted to 3B).

Whereas Inge's glove is clearly on the decline at his age.

Valencia might not be Inge 2006 with the glove now, but neither is Inge 2010-2011 Inge 2006 with the glove. While Valencia (age 25) will likely improve in the coming season, Inge's fielding, especially his range, will continue to decline.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

We should get rid of Cabrera. Like you said it's insanity to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Insanity: Begging for attention on a message board by making ridiculous claims and expecting people to not react, when that was really your point in making said claim to begin with.

I'd hope it wasn't for $6 mil. Wasn't he making about that this year? Maybe $6.5 this year?

Maybe FSD is going to pay him $2 mil a year for being a regular on their Tigers Weekly show. I mean, is there a subject that they don't go to Brandon for on that show?

Inge is a PR machine. They probably make a couple million in advertising by having him on the team. How many of all those people voting for him for player of the game would still watch if he were gone?

Yeah, no kidding. Valencia was a big part of the Twins push to the post season, coming up mid year and hitting

.311 AVG

.351 OBP

.448 SLG

And Valencia will only get better with the glove in the coming seasons (as Inge improved each season when he first shifted to 3B).

Whereas Inge's glove is clearly on the decline at his age.

Valencia might not be Inge 2006 with the glove now, but neither is Inge 2010-2011 Inge 2006 with the glove. While Valencia (age 25) will likely improve in the coming season, Inge's fielding, especially his range, will continue to decline.

so your suggestion is we trade inge for valencia?

I don't like or dislike this, he's a great fielder whp can swing a decent bat and he shouldn't cost too much. You can't expect us to upgrade every position, this signing is just to save some money and fill out the position. 5M a year sounds fair.

Really? I got the impression he's not a very good fielder. Granted, I haven't been watching Giants games very closely this year.

Not even the NL playoffs? You're really missing out on some amazing baseball. Uribe made a key play as a defensive substitute in last night's game, and then hit the game winning walk-off sac fly.

Uribe is a v good 3B and SS, as Uribe's stats show he's at least as good as Inge is currently:

Juan Uribe » Statistics » Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

And Uribe's 2 years younger than Inge.

Juan Uribe for starters.

That guys screams "will eat himself out of baseball any minute now".

so your suggestion is we trade inge for valencia?

that would rock. yes, please!

But seriously, I was mostly responding to the person who claimed that no one here knew who the Twins 3B is.

But the point is there, if you know the best Inge will give you is .700 OPS with 10-13 home runs and middling defense on the decline, why not go younger with a player who is likely to improve season over season instead of an aging player who you know is declining.

No way on Uribe. Theres a reason he is in the NL. Granted I havent watched too much playoff baseball either. The Maple Leafs are currently my number 1 priority.

Inge is a PR machine. They probably make a couple million in advertising by having him on the team. How many of all those people voting for him for player of the game would still watch if he were gone?

He is that. A big reason he's such a polarized person in Detroit sports. Honestly, I'm shocked we don't see more local commercials with him in them. I'm sure there are some, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one.

They've been saying that about Uribe since 2005...when he helped the White Sox win a World Series and he's about to return to the World Series 5 seasons later...

He also walks less than Inge. He keeps bringing up Polanco who played 3B for Philadelphia before they traded him to Detroit. It's not like Philadelphia got the brilliant idea to move him to 3B. In fact, it was the Tigers who moved him to 2B.

He is that. A big reason he's such a polarized person in Detroit sports. Honestly, I'm shocked we don't see more local commercials with him in them. I'm sure there are some, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one.

He must not trust his eyes to Dr. Armani.

Are we assuming Uribe would simply be available for the Tigers' picking even as a FA? The Giants will want him back and he'll probably want to return.

Inge is a bird in hand. It's not reasonable to look at all of the FA 3B and possible trade candidates and consider them definite alternatives to Inge. There would be a gamble in chasing one when the offseason starts, losing him, losing Inge in the process, and then you're starting Kelly next year.

But the point is there, if you know the best Inge will give you is .700 OPS with 10-13 home runs and middling defense on the decline, why not go younger with a player who is likely to improve season over season instead of an aging player who you know is declining.

Because we don't have any of those. Even if we did, Scott Sizemore.

But seriously, I was mostly responding to the person who claimed that no one here knew who the Twins 3B is.

I made no such claim in that post. I actually made no claim at all in it.

Are we assuming Uribe would simply be available for the Tigers' picking even as a FA? The Giants will want him back and he'll probably want to return.

Apparently all players are available for the Tigers' pickings.

Inge is a bird in hand. It's not reasonable to look at all of the FA 3B and possible trade candidates and consider them definite alternatives to Inge. There would be a gamble in chasing one when the offseason starts, losing him, losing Inge in the process, and then you're starting Kelly next year.

Oh come on, I'm sure Uribe would love to leave a WS team to come to Detroit, a 3rd place team. And he'd probably take a discount.

Uribe has had HUGE splits in home/away...I have to imagine the park is playing some factor there.