CapitalTigers

Tigers Officially Re-sign Brandon Inge

All depends on the amount. He's not as good as his biggest fans think and not nearly as bad as his detractors think.

All depends on the amount. He's not as good as his biggest fans think and not nearly as bad as his detractors think.

icon14.gif Biff Mayhem likes this.

Congratulations to the 2011 Minnesota Twins, winners of their 7th AL Central division title in 11 seasons.

Thank you for that insight.

From what I read, it's a contract extension for two years. Doesn't that mean the same $$$?

Extensions can go up or down I'm pretty certain.

All depends on the amount.

What's the amount have to do with anything? You have a limited number of roster spots and a limited number of at-bats and you've just committed 1 of those roster spots and over 1000 at-bats over the next two seasons to a declining career .700 OPS hitter who only managed to score 47 runs in over 500 at-bats in 2010 and who will strike out more than he hits and doesn't hit with any more power than a AAA Don Kelly.

It's a weak 3B market this year. You were not gonna get that much better I wouldn't think without grossly overpaying. So I think it was an okay move. i mean, it's uninspiring. But it's not like the Tigers had a shot at somebody a whole lot better.

It's a weak 3B market this year. You were not gonna get that much better I wouldn't think without grossly overpaying. So I think it was an okay move. i mean, it's uninspiring. But it's not like the Tigers had a shot at somebody a whole lot better.

Perhaps, but I'd at least liked to have kicked the tires on Adrian Beltre before committing to two more seasons of Inge.

I think it is a smart signing. Who is out there within salary's reach for us to get? If Inge went and explored the free agent market he'd likely get much more than he agreed to with the Tigers. Smart move, welcome back Binge.

Weak 3B market this offseason, solidifies the spot defensively for 2 more years, we know what we're getting out of his bat. Some may say that Peralta should've been retained for 3B and Inge left alone, but the SS market is weak as well.

Not sure how much money plays into this. Ilitch will spend, so I have a hard time thinking that this would impact the team's abilities to sign someone like Dunn or Crawford if they are expecting to go down that road. Gotta think his annual salary on this contract is less than his previous since his prime years are done. And always prefer team option vs. player option on older players (at end of contract).

Perhaps, but I'd at least liked to have kicked the tires on Adrian Beltre before committing to two more seasons of Inge.

I agree with this, but at the same time I don't think it's the end of the world. We have been a competitive team with him playing 3B before...I don't see why that would change now. And if this means they are able to save money to really go after Werth + VMart, Werth + Ortiz, or Werth + Dunn...I'm all for it.

Congratulations to the 2011 Minnesota Twins, winners of their 7th AL Central division title in 11 seasons.

I'd like to ban you for this outrageous display of hyperbole.

They may have. Official talks may be prohibitive right now, but I think teams/players can still have pretty decent forecasting abilities on certain scenarios. I would think some rumblings about what some FAs are going to be looking for have reached teams, and FAs probably have a fair idea of what certain teams will be looking for.

It may have also been a question of the devil you know vs the devil you don't know (as well) and may not be able to attain anyway.

My best guesstimate is that he'll be making about six million per.

That would mean he is getting the same per year as he did with his last contract...if this is the case I will be disappointed in DD. I would hope for 4.5 million per year or so...just to show that DD understands what he did wrong before in giving out inflated contracts to mediocre players and is starting to remedy his past mistakes.

I'd like to ban you for this outrageous display of hyperbole.

Wow, um, what's hyperbole about it? Twins currently have won 6 of the last 10, predicting they'll win their 7th next season is not a stretch.

Ban people for predictions? Chill out, man.