Mark The Shark

#15 Iowa Hawkeyes @ University of Michigan

From the Big House, in Ann Arbor, Michigan

95245968PBzBdM_ph.jpg

#14 University of Iowa Hawkeyes (4-1)(1-0)

image.jpg243067527lIPhSz_ph.jpg

AT

#24 University of Michigan Wolverines (5-1)(1-1)

michigan_logo1.jpg

claybornmaine_display_image.jpg?1273824590

Western+Michigan+v+Michigan+7eqt7zVqNTAl.jpg

Date: Saturday, October 16th, 2010

Time: 3:30pm EST

abcsports.jpg

QLzSpaEnA64&hl

Let's Go Hawks!

Edited by Mark The Shark

Just think how much you guys will be complaining after the game!

Actually, this should be a pretty close game like it is every time Michigan and Iowa play. I'll be interested to see how Denard and the pretty good M offensive line match up against our excellent defensive line.

I've fixed the stadium pic and the rankings from USA Today (which puts us at #14).

Edited by Mark The Shark

Just think how much you guys will be complaining after the game!

Really? I didn't read too many people complain after the MSU game.

We got our asses kicked, plain and simple.

If you do that on Satuday - which you could, I'll go give you guys props ..... like I did the Spartans.

Really? I didn't read too many people complain after the MSU game.

We got our asses kicked, plain and simple.

If you do that on Satuday - which you could, I'll go give you guys props ..... like I did the Spartans.

I'm just kidding. The UM-Iowa game is never a blowout. Even when we were awful in the beginning of the Ferentz era*. AI think its something like 70% of the time decided by 10 points or less. Its just usually you guys on the winning end.

*Iowa had a three year run when Kirk Ferentz took over that is just about as bad as the beginning of the RichRod era. And like Michigan, we were coming off of a veteran coach who stayed on maybe a year or two too long.

It should be a good game, I agree -- and thanks again for making the game thread!

I can't wait to see how/if Denard and company can bounce back....that'll be interesting!

This Iowa team looks even better equipped to stop Denard than MSU.

#1 in scoring defense, #2 against the run, and #4 in total defense.

Add in an experienced QB with deep threats to throw the ball and I'm seeing another uphill battle for UM. They are going to have to play near perfect to win.

Actually I do think that this Iowa team is better than Michigan State. Everyone recalls the "fluky" nature of their record last year, and then focus unjustly on AZ's fluky win this year...IMO, this year's Iowa team is every bit as good as last year's record appeared. Now they're thin at running back, but short of that - it's a complete football team. Their offense isn't as good as Michigan State's, but with Stanzi, Robinson, Johnson-Koulianos, McNutt, Reisner...They've got enough. And that defense is as good as you'll see all year.

Actually I do think that this Iowa team is better than Michigan State. Everyone recalls the "fluky" nature of their record last year, and then focus unjustly on AZ's fluky win this year...IMO, this year's Iowa team is every bit as good as last year's record appeared. Now they're thin at running back, but short of that - it's a complete football team. Their offense isn't as good as Michigan State's, but with Stanzi, Robinson, Johnson-Koulianos, McNutt, Reisner...They've got enough. And that defense is as good as you'll see all year.

I will enjoy the payback on the Hawkeyes..

They are going to have to play near perfect to win.

I agree. By no means am I calling this a W as of today... It'll be a good game.

I am hoping for the Return of pick-6 Stanzi like 2 or 3 times. I probably shouldn't get my hopes up though.

Iowa is 4-1 when Ricky throws a pick-6.

I'm just hoping he keeps the "Ricky, NO" moments to a bare minimum.

This Iowa team looks even better equipped to stop Denard than MSU.

#1 in scoring defense, #2 against the run, and #4 in total defense.

Add in an experienced QB with deep threats to throw the ball and I'm seeing another uphill battle for UM. They are going to have to play near perfect to win.

They scored last year..Iowa can be vulnerable to speed..everyone can.

Great benke, now we're going to lose!

Michigan should have won this game last year. Problem is, the defense is so much worse this year.

But I have no problem seeing Michigan put up some points on Iowa.

I think m can hold Ricky et al. to 34 points or fewer. I think denard learns from his mistakes in the msu game and m scores in the 30s. I just hope we can keep this one close. I thought m still had a good chance to beat state prior to denards arm punt.

I think Michigan will lose, but I also think Michigan's offense can do some damage vs Iowa's one scheme 1990s Michigan style defense.

I'll say Iowa 35 - Michigan 28

Michigan misses 3 field goals and Denard fumbles at the goal line, Stanzi throws two ints but Iowa scores on every other possession except for running out the clock at the end of each half.

We will see if RR can pull this team together, or they collapse like last year. If UM gets bent over then look out RR its gonna get ugly.

We will see if RR can pull this team together, or they collapse like last year. If UM gets bent over then look out RR its gonna get ugly.

See, I think this is wrong thinking. Michigan losing to Iowa this week is not "collapsing". It's "better football team beats worse football team, and it's close (I hope) cause the worse team is at home". Saying Michigan is "collapsing" is to blame them for playing at the same level against better competition.

Rob

I won't want RR out if he can't beat Iowa, but I want to see the team play better! If UM -- after the bye, can't get two wins in those final five - Purdue, Illinois, Penn State, Wisc, and Ohio State - it'll get very, very ugly!

See, I think this is wrong thinking. Michigan losing to Iowa this week is not "collapsing". It's "better football team beats worse football team, and it's close (I hope) cause the worse team is at home". Saying Michigan is "collapsing" is to blame them for playing at the same level against better competition.

Rob

I agree. A loss to Iowa isn't the end of the season and doesn't mean for sure we are going into a 2009 like collapse. If we lose to Penn State, then I will start to get more concerned.

I'm hoping for 9-3, but I wouldn't be upset with 8-4. 7-5 would be a bit of a disappointment. I'm really hoping for an Iowa win, because that would mean we should be heavy favorites the next 3 games, which would be 9 wins. But a loss to Iowa doesn't mean we can't beat Illinois at home and beat what appear to be 2 bad teams in PSU and PU on the road.

I still have hope for the defense. I actually thought certain things improved against MSU. The big plays appeared to be blown assignments by some combination of Ezeh/Gordon/Christian. Ezeh should see his PT reduced, and Gordon and Christian are freshman who should get smarter about that. Christian in particular, even after he bit on the fake by Dell, he had enough time to recover deep if he had known/had the experience to do so. But for the first time I thought physically and athletically, the defensive backfield was good enough.

On the downside of course was all the broken/dragged tackles. Hopefully this won't be a huge problem against Iowa as they are down the depth chart with their RBs. Play-action passing is very concerning this game too.

Offensively....let's face it, there's still a bit of a learning curve that you have to go through against good defenses. There was one against ND, and MSU was a step up from that. Iowa might be another step up, who knows, but they should be more prepared to execute against good Ds. Hopefully they make slightly better reads and decisions and score the touchdowns that are out there.

I'm hoping for 9-3, but I wouldn't be upset with 8-4. 7-5 would be a bit of a disappointment. I'm really hoping for an Iowa win, because that would mean we should be heavy favorites the next 3 games, which would be 9 wins. But a loss to Iowa doesn't mean we can't beat Illinois at home and beat what appear to be 2 bad teams in PSU and PU on the road.

I still have hope for the defense. I actually thought certain things improved against MSU. The big plays appeared to be blown assignments by some combination of Ezeh/Gordon/Christian. Ezeh should see his PT reduced, and Gordon and Christian are freshman who should get smarter about that. Christian in particular, even after he bit on the fake by Dell, he had enough time to recover deep if he had known/had the experience to do so. But for the first time I thought physically and athletically, the defensive backfield was good enough.

On the downside of course was all the broken/dragged tackles. Hopefully this won't be a huge problem against Iowa as they are down the depth chart with their RBs. Play-action passing is very concerning this game too.

Offensively....let's face it, there's still a bit of a learning curve that you have to go through against good defenses. There was one against ND, and MSU was a step up from that. Iowa might be another step up, who knows, but they should be more prepared to execute against good Ds. Hopefully they make slightly better reads and decisions and score the touchdowns that are out there.

I am hoping for 8-4 personally. If we would of beaten MSU I would feel like 9-3 is within reach. If we upset Iowa I may change my thinking on that but I wont get my hopes up.

As far as the defense is concerned I don't really have much hope that we will see significant improvement this year. Too much inexperience in our secondary. I think I will look for next year as when our defense can improve. When all these young kids have a full season and a spring camp under their belts. Plus an entire off season to lift weights and bulk up for D1 football.

I am hoping for 8-4 personally. If we would of beaten MSU I would feel like 9-3 is within reach. If we upset Iowa I may change my thinking on that but I wont get my hopes up.

As far as the defense is concerned I don't really have much hope that we will see significant improvement this year. Too much inexperience in our secondary. I think I will look for next year as when our defense can improve. When all these young kids have a full season and a spring camp under their belts. Plus an entire off season to lift weights and bulk up for D1 football.

Next year, I think that the DBs and the DL should be fine, if Martin comes back and Woolfolk is back enough to play deep safety. The LBs will again be an issue, but between Demens, Fitzgerald, Jones, Herron and everyone else, hopefully it won't be a gaping hole of disaster. This year, I think Avery and Floyd are showing they are only below average, and even Rogers is threatening that. We'll see tho, when you allow 30+ points a game, even if you fix some of the things causing that, there are other areas that you don't know are weaknesses simply because they have yet to be exploited. i.e. you shore up one link of the chain best you can, only to find 2 others that are pretty damn weak themselves. But all in all, if we can beat UI and PU, it wouldn't shock me to find another win or two in there and get to 8 or 9 wins. But those two games are and always have been (at least since Purdue has shown it's level of suck) must win games.