SpartanValor

#16 Michigan State @ #17 Michigan

Charlie Bell

flintstone14: Michigan needs a miracle like that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial. Lmao

flintstone14: I would say. You always got basketball season. But we all know who the big dog is there. GO GREEN!!!!!

JRich

LMAO announcer jus said Paul Bunyan go have to pay property taxes in East Lansing. Pow!

@LaMarrWoodley @jalenrose @realchriswebber maybe yall got a chance in basketball. Oh I forgot we will be rank #1 in pre-season. #nochance

MoPete

IN THE WORDS OF COACH IZZO....TODAY IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A SPARTAN...

That was one of the ugliest games I've seen Michigan play. The defensive breakdowns were expected. The performance of the offense surprised me, though. They just flat out sucked. More accurately, denard flat out sucked. At least people will shut up about the heisman.

Msu is a very good team this year. I really think 12-0 is possible at this point. The big ten is pretty mediocre. Get past Iowa and book your flights to Glendale.

Wow. I am glad I was getting married during this game, otherwise I would of been ripping my hair out. I downloaded it but I don't know if I even want to watch. Just by looking at the box score and reading the games articles that MSU did a great job of forcing Robinson into some critical mistakes. I thought MSU would win, but not 34-17.

The thing that scares me is not that MSU scored 34 points. I actually thought they would score 35. Anybody jumping off a bridge because the defense didn't show up is just kidding themselves. It basically performed exactly as you would expect. What Concerns me the most is we only scored 17 points. Turning over the ball and not playing well on offense will spell disaster this year for obvious reasons. But all the people getting ready to jump ship because of one loss are pathetic. I will be right with you if we have another melt down like 2009. But if we end up going 7-5 or 8-4 this year it is just the same thing we expected anyway.

MSU was the better teams hands down. Executed better, better defense. Robinson showed what can happen when you put a young QB up against a defense willing to pressure him. Great job by Michigan State. Looks like a Big Ten title is within your reach.

Oh and sorry sportz for not showing up earlier to listen to your immature rants. I was you know, spending the weekend with my new wife. Maybe you should get a life.

congrats on the marriage..

immature rants...spare me...sour grapes..childish..as Shaq once said..Kobe..hows..yeah thats an immature rant..I saved it just for you.

nobody talked more trash..nobody analyzed the game more..nobody was more innacurrate..

get ready to learn some class and humility..you're married now..get ready to be humbled every hour..

the game spoke for itself..

I think the plays that best showed the difference between the two teams, was the contrast between

Denard makes a mistake and throws a ball behind his receiver in the end zone, the MSU DB makes a nice play not just to break up the pass, but to get the interception

Cousins makes a mistake and throws a completely insane floater to no one instead of taking a sack, the Michigan defender either trips over his own feet or dives at the MSU TE's knees I'm not really sure which leading to MSU getting a catch out of the play.

Cousins essentially made A mistake (which he completed for 35 yards), Robinson essentially made a half-dozen, 3 of which he completed to MSU db's...

And Sportz, the 3-3-5 is certainly not my favorite defense, but it can definitely win in the Big 10. If Obi Ezeh wasn't the worst linebacker on earth, Michigan pretty much shuts down MSU's running game yesterday. And their isn't any scheme that would make the passing defense good. If you have the talent any defense can succeed, Michigan doesn't have the talent. It's not 1960, you're going to see more spread offenses than power running in the Big 10.

Gimme a break. Look, I'm moderately accustomed to you typing ridiculous things...But you guys were a hell of a lot further away from even slowing down MSU's running game than just a different middle-linebacker. Michigan State has run on everyone they've seen. Bottom line, our line has been very good run-blocking, and it's pretty clear that we're sitting on 3 pretty damn good backs as well.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Just read on RCMB..that the classy program from AA, turned off the hot water in the showers after the game..they did the same thing in 2008.

That RROD program is classy isn't it..hey a cold shower is nice after a light workout.

Class..all class.. even less than their fandom..

I'll be curious to see what Brandon says about this and if it comes out in the press.

Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi, on the apparent lack of hot water in the visiting locker room: "It's a shame our guys have to shower in cold water."

Read more: MSU players, coaches comment on win | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20101010/SPORTS07/10100699/1054/sports06/MSU-players-coaches-comment-on-win#ixzz123eZdg9a

Edited by sportz4life

congrats on the marriage..

immature rants...spare me...sour grapes..childish..as Shaq once said..Kobe..hows..yeah thats an immature rant..I saved it just for you.

nobody talked more trash..nobody analyzed the game more..nobody was more innacurrate..

get ready to learn some class and humility..you're married now..get ready to be humbled every hour..

the game spoke for itself..

Thanks for the congrats.

Yes your rants are immature. You remind me of when we were in grade school and we would argue about which team was better, then when the game played out, whoever won would go "OHHHHHHH were so sweet, we told you so, you guys suck haha".

I never talked trash, ever, not once. If you can find me a post where I am "trash talking" I will gladly admit I am wrong. If talking about the games and my expectations for the team is trash talking ok lol.

The game did speak for itself. I gladly admit Michigan State has a better football team than Michigan, I even said so. In fact, after watching 5 weeks of football I already thought Michigan was going to lose. I didn't think we would lose by 17 points but still. I don't have sour grapes. If you didn't notice, before the year I said numerous times it is very possible if not likely that Michigan would lose to Michigan State this year. MSU has a good team, and anything under 10 wins at this point would shock me.

You can't dog on my analysis about this game unless you offered some of your own, which you didn't. I have been right about Michigan and MSU most of the season. I am not the only one who was wrong about this game. A lot of people predicted Michigan to win, and those that predicted Michigan to lose didn't envision it would be by 17 points either. Unless your willing to offer some analysis of your own ahead of time, I suggest you cut the bull crap practice of calling people out on their own.

Thanks for the congrats.

Yes your rants are immature. You remind me of when we were in grade school and we would argue about which team was better, then when the game played out, whoever won would go "OHHHHHHH were so sweet, we told you so, you guys suck haha".

I never talked trash, ever, not once. If you can find me a post where I am "trash talking" I will gladly admit I am wrong. If talking about the games and my expectations for the team is trash talking ok lol.

The game did speak for itself. I gladly admit Michigan State has a better football team than Michigan, I even said so. In fact, after watching 5 weeks of football I already thought Michigan was going to lose. I didn't think we would lose by 17 points but still. I don't have sour grapes. If you didn't notice, before the year I said numerous times it is very possible if not likely that Michigan would lose to Michigan State this year. MSU has a good team, and anything under 10 wins at this point would shock me.

You can't dog on my analysis about this game unless you offered some of your own, which you didn't. I have been right about Michigan and MSU most of the season. I am not the only one who was wrong about this game. A lot of people predicted Michigan to win, and those that predicted Michigan to lose didn't envision it would be by 17 points either. Unless your willing to offer some analysis of your own ahead of time, I suggest you cut the bull crap practice of calling people out on their own.

I did..it was short sweet and significantly more correct than yours..

It discussed 3 things to refresh your failing memory..

1. The outcome

2. Turnovers

3. That only one player on UM defense could start for MSU..

You on the other hand offered up thousands and thousands of words and rants all week..

All of which were wrong..and then you turtled when it was time to select a winner..in your own stadium when oddsmakers favored your team..

Lets move on..it's game over for your team..(not your school)..and you and I..

The results speak for themselves..go enjoy your honeymoon..

I did..it was short sweet and significantly more correct than yours..

It discussed 3 things to refresh your failing memory..

1. The outcome

2. Turnovers

3. That only one player on UM defense could start for MSU..

You on the other hand offered up thousands and thousands of words and rants all week..

All of which were wrong..and then you turtled when it was time to select a winner..in your own stadium when oddsmakers favored your team..

Lets move on..it's game over for your team..(not your school)..and you and I..

The results speak for themselves..go enjoy your honeymoon..

1. Many people picked Michigan State to win. Including myself. I wouldn't call that analysis.

2. My 10 year old cousin could tell you that if you turn the ball over too much you will lose a football game.

3. I agreed with you about the defense. I said Mike Martin would start for MSU and maybe Roh. We were in agreement there, so I don't see your problem. Aside from that, I said MSU had a better defense.

Michigan State has a better team. What else can I say? I thought that before the game and I think it now. I offered up ways Michigan could win the game, but also added it was unlikely. I mean, we are in a forum, I am a Michigan fan. Why wouldn't I want to discuss the game and give reasons Michigan COULD win the game.

If I would of predicted Michigan to win, you would say I am being bias. When I predicted Michigan to lose, you think I am being a wuss or something. NO, it was my opinion that Michigan would lose. I was wrong about how bad, but so was almost everyone else.

Like I said, the results do speak for themselves. Michigan State was and is the better team, no argument here.

Ok, and what has RichRod done to show you that he's not that stupid?

And guess what? Les Miles wins. which puts him on a different level than Richrod.

He's a better coach than RichRod. He may not be great (good, average, poor) at clock management, but he can recruit and put together a staff who CAN coach and develop players.

What has Rich Rod done? Put his buddies in at offensive coordinator? Hire a different DC every year and then tell him he should run a 3-3-5 in a conference built on power running?

What the **** Pyro? How can you sit here and say richrod is better than Les Miles? Based on what?

And that's not even getting into Harbaugh who took a Stanford program that lost 11 games the year before he got there to the top ten in THREE SEASONS! In three seasons richRod has taken a program that got to the capital one bowl and beat Tim Tebow to a team that has beaten ONE BIG TEN TEAM IN TWO YEARS.

And i defy you to show me how Ron Zook hasn't been more successful and Illinois than RichRod has at Michigan. The dude flat out whooped RichRod's *** the last two years, completely outcoached him. And this year Illinois' defense is for real and they've been a decent offense with a true freshman QB, which is more than richrod has EVER done at Michigan.

It's all about wins. what has Richrod won at Michigan?

Les Miles inherited Nick Saban's team, he recruits for LSU in Louisiana, probably the easiest job in the world, he has a great defensive staff. His offensive staff sucks, and LSU's offense is garbage. Their best QB is playing WR, because Les Miles is an idiot.

Give him this Michigan team with Michigan's defense and he'd be just as bad as Rodriguez if not worse. They'd probably have lost to both Notre Dame and Indiana.

It's not just about clock management, it's about in game decisions, he's terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE at them.

I don't even know what universe you're coming from with the Zook stuff, what is it with your love affair with crappy Big 10 teams? Indiana sure looked like a pushover to me vs Ohio State last week, and Illinois is the same thing. Wow, their defense is for real because it shut down the likes of Northern Illinois (only 22 points!) and a Joe Paterno team with an awful true freshman QB? Wow! Oh right, they kept it close with Ohio State, just like Rich Rodriguez did last season right? Both of them were clearly winnable games for Michigan/Illinois, it wasn't at all that Jim Tressel wins a million games like that every year.

He went 5-7 and 3-9 the last two years, hmmm Buddha does that sound familiar? 2-10 in 2006. He had one fluke good year in 2007 because he happened to play an easy schedule and have an amazing running back. Big deal.

Rich Rodriguez has obviously been a more successful coach than Zook throughout their respective careers, and their isn't anyone on earth who would take Zook over him. But oh yes, Zook is a winner because in 2007 (when Rich Rodriguez of course had a better record than him, and his team went on to win a BCS bowl game) he was a winner!

If Rodriguez were to get fired, I wouldn't mind going after Mark Richt out of Georgia. I don't think he is going to make it through this year and is a pretty good coach IMHO.

You overreact to everything.

Michigan will beat Penn State, but they might lose to Illinois.

Listen, everyone (well, those of us living in the real world) thought it would be a struggle for this team to win 7 games. Right now they look like a team that will struggle to win 7 games.

They've got 5 so far. I think they can get two more. baby steps.

To me, if they beat PSU and Purdue, and go 7-5, he should be gone. I had thought 6-6 back when I didn't realize how bad Penn State would be. 7-5 just doesn't get it done.

I think he's got to win 3 more to save his job. Purdue, Illinois, PSU. It's possible, but Illinois has looked good.

Rob

To me, if they beat PSU and Purdue, and go 7-5, he should be gone. I had thought 6-6 back when I didn't realize how bad Penn State would be. 7-5 just doesn't get it done.

I think he's got to win 3 more to save his job. Purdue, Illinois, PSU. It's possible, but Illinois has looked good.

Rob

How would you feel about 7-5 with a bowl win to get to 8-5?

I am very happy with Rodriguez. The offense will be prolific for the foreseeable future, the defense has been really bad but broken down by position group the situation at DL and DB is OK. The LB play needs to be improved and I think it will be, they'll find someone (Kinard?) to step-in for Ezeh. The team is still suffering in that the best upperclassmen on defense include players like Ezeh (who is terrible). I think there has to be a lot of consideration for the composition of the roster that Rodriguez inherited.

This is beyond comprehension. :( "Very happy"? What in the name of heaven would the man have to do to disappoint you? 4-14 in the Big 10, and no wins against MSU or OSU in three years (and yes, I'm completely comfortable in stating that we have no prayer against OSU). Another year where we're hoping and praying to get to 7-5? Wow. "Very happy"? Wow.

I could understand saying that you think he shouldn't be fired. But "Very happy"? :(

Rob

How would you feel about 7-5 with a bowl win to get to 8-5?

It depends a bit on who the bowl win involves. Seriously though, I'm just not convinced, at all, that next years defense will be any better than this years. So it's not just evaluating what's happened (though it is partially that), it's where we're going.

Yes, Michigan will be a good Big 10 offense, and might get better. Is there reason to think the defense will be better next year?

Linebacker is a horrible wasteland. They'll graduate the one decent player in Mouton. Ezeh is putrid. Demens and Herron are back, but are pretty terrible. Who else on the roster is going to be a good linebacker next year? Corner and safety look slightly better, mostly because you hope Woolfolk comes back and can play.

Basically, they'll be bringing back maybe 4 players I'd call "solid Big 10 defenders", in Martin, Roh, Van Bergen, maybe Woolfolk. After that, it's all "maybe land". Maybe Floyd gets there. Maybe eventually one of the freshman corners (Avery, Christian). Maybe Thomas Gordon at safety.

As much as I don't want to start over with a new coach, I just have no confidence that Rodriguez is building a program that will be competitive in the Big 10 year in and year out.

Rob

It depends a bit on who the bowl win involves. Seriously though, I'm just not convinced, at all, that next years defense will be any better than this years. So it's not just evaluating what's happened (though it is partially that), it's where we're going.

Yes, Michigan will be a good Big 10 offense, and might get better. Is there reason to think the defense will be better next year?

Linebacker is a horrible wasteland. They'll graduate the one decent player in Mouton. Ezeh is putrid. Demens and Herron are back, but are pretty terrible. Who else on the roster is going to be a good linebacker next year? Corner and safety look slightly better, mostly because you hope Woolfolk comes back and can play.

Basically, they'll be bringing back maybe 4 players I'd call "solid Big 10 defenders", in Martin, Roh, Van Bergen, maybe Woolfolk. After that, it's all "maybe land". Maybe Floyd gets there. Maybe eventually one of the freshman corners (Avery, Christian). Maybe Thomas Gordon at safety.

As much as I don't want to start over with a new coach, I just have no confidence that Rodriguez is building a program that will be competitive in the Big 10 year in and year out.

Rob

I agree that there is no way to guarantee the defense will be better next year. A reason I would expect them to be better is because of some things you just state (Martin, Van Bergen, Roh, Woolfolk being back). Also I think that you will probably see some of these younger players in the defensive backfield improve. They will all have a year of playing experience, spring camp, and fall camp under their belt when next year starts. I would hope a lot of of them would improve with experience.

If i understand today's press conference...we may be seeing less of obi. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

This is beyond comprehension. :( "Very happy"? What in the name of heaven would the man have to do to disappoint you? 4-14 in the Big 10, and no wins against MSU or OSU in three years (and yes, I'm completely comfortable in stating that we have no prayer against OSU). Another year where we're hoping and praying to get to 7-5? Wow. "Very happy"? Wow.

I could understand saying that you think he shouldn't be fired. But "Very happy"? :(

Rob

If I didn't think the worst was over and that Rodriguez had them well-positioned for the future, I'd be disappointed. He inherited a program in disarray and finally has it back to respectability.. the offense will be a juggernaut now. They don't have to rely on freshmen (Threet, Forcier) or walk-ons (Sheridan) which was a huge limit on their success these past few years. Now just get a few more defensive players and this team will be very good all-around.

To give you some context: Harbaugh gets hype, and I agree he's a good coach, but I don't think the gap between Stanford and Michigan was so big when the two respective coaches got their gigs. From the previous season W/L, yes, but as a foundation for the future, not convinced.

And if you look at Harbaugh's record, it's 4-8, 5-7, 8-5 leading into this year, where they are 5-1. It's a lot like the progression at Michigan under Rich Rod, even down to the reliance on a young star QB (Andrew Luck, Denard Robinson) though I question whether Harbaugh ever had to start a Nick Sheridan-caliber player at QB

I am very happy with Rodriguez. The offense will be prolific for the foreseeable future, the defense has been really bad but broken down by position group the situation at DL and DB is OK. The LB play needs to be improved and I think it will be, they'll find someone (Kinard?) to step-in for Ezeh. The team is still suffering in that the best upperclassmen on defense include players like Ezeh (who is terrible). I think there has to be a lot of consideration for the composition of the roster that Rodriguez inherited.

Insanity.

the ability to make players better is the hallmark of a good coach. Has anyone on michigan's defense done that? Have they done that as a team?

How anyone could be very happy with Rodriguez after he got his *** kicked by Michigan State for the third straight season is beyond me.

If I didn't think the worst was over and that Rodriguez had them well-positioned for the future, I'd be disappointed. He inherited a program in disarray and finally has it back to respectability.. the offense will be a juggernaut now. They don't have to rely on freshmen (Threet, Forcier) or walk-ons (Sheridan) which was a huge limit on their success these past few years. Now just get a few more defensive players and this team will be very good all-around.

To give you some context: Harbaugh gets hype, and I agree he's a good coach, but I don't think the gap between Stanford and Michigan was so big when the two respective coaches got their gigs. From the previous season W/L, yes, but as a foundation for the future, not convinced.

And if you look at Harbaugh's record, it's 4-8, 5-7, 8-5 leading into this year, where they are 5-1. It's a lot like the progression at Michigan under Rich Rod, even down to the reliance on a young star QB (Andrew Luck, Denard Robinson) though I question whether Harbaugh ever had to start a Nick Sheridan-caliber player at QB

I think that is a very good point, but what people are going to tell you is. Well RichRod was hired at Michigan, a top program with a lot more talent. I think that would usually be true, but in this case its not. RichRod came in after Michigan graduated an extremely talented senior class and inherited a program that apparently did not care about recruiting for the final years of the Carr regime, especially on defense. Add to that that he is installing a different system and it will take time.

Harbaugh get all kinds of hype, and I also think he is a good coach but as you point out things take time. 4-8, 5-7 is almost identical to what RichRod went through, and 8-5 seems reasonable this year. People have to realize that if Harbaugh comes in were not going to turn it around over night. Give RR 4 or 5 years before you decide it is a lost cause.

Insanity.

the ability to make players better is the hallmark of a good coach. Has anyone on michigan's defense done that? Have they done that as a team?

How anyone could be very happy with Rodriguez after he got his *** kicked by Michigan State for the third straight season is beyond me.

The two deep is full of freshmen on defense. Mouton and Ezeh are LC recruits who were not getting any better anyway. I think it is unfair to judge his player development when a ton of the players have only had 6 games so far to develop.

Now just get a few more defensive players and this team will be very good all-around.

If it wasn't for that whole iceberg thing, the Titanic would have been a great trip!

THAT'S THE POINT! What defensive players? From where? what walkons and two star safeties are going to lead Michigan to the promised land?

I mean really, I've heard of making lemonade out of lemons, but you're making a Bordeaux out of crusted over raisins that fell under the fridge six months ago.

More insanity. Stanford lost 11 games the year before Harbaugh got there. Three years later they're a top ten team.

Rodriguez's team beat Florida the year before he got there, he then proceeded to sacrifice any chance that team had of being even moderately successful in order to install his offense, thereby gutting any team spirit that team had. he didn't care, getting his offense installed was the key, **** the guys that were there.

Since then he's beaten Indiana in the big ten. INDIANA and that's it! Ron Zook kicked his ***. Mark Dantonio laughs at him. Tressel doesn't even bother to open the playbook against Michigan because he knows there's no point.

the recruiting on defense has been next to non-existent. He's put the program on probation for the first time in history. He's had two straight losing seasons (and may be in line for another) at a program that hadn't had ONE in 40 years.

And you're HAPPY? Good Lord, would three straight 0-12 seasons register a sense of ennui in you?

You can blame Lloyd all you want, but it didn't have to be this way. RichRod ripped up the program three years ago and turned every Michigan tradition on its head.

I want the guy to succeed, but HAPPY? The only people who should be happy with Rodriguez right now live in East Lansing and Columbus.