Dunkin Darvin

Off-season moves starting to take shape

I would be surprised if his HRs drop that significantly...its not like he was playing in Coors, Yankee Stadium, or the Cell, but I would expect that there would be some drop in HRs and more 2B and 3B hit.

The difference in hits (this is just an educated guess), is due to the fact that Comerica Park does have a more spacious outfield with deep alleys. Because of this spacious outfield there are a lot more places a ball could fall for a base hit, double, triple, etc. that would otherwise be caught in a smaller outfield. But like I said...that is just a guess.

I think you're right about the hits. I read it backwards.

I think VMart would be closer to a 2.5 WAR player if switched to DH. Catcher is +1 wins, and DH is -1.5 wins for positional adjustment and even last year when he was pretty close to a full-time catcher he was only a 4 WAR player. But you are correct about the last part...I would welcome either, I just would rather have Dunn DHing than VMart. If DD and his scouts decide that VMart could be our everyday catcher for the next two+ years, I would love to have him...if he is just going to DH I would rather them pursue other players.

http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/index.php/site/comments/how_to_calculate_war/

Last year he split time between C and 1B, and and didn't play 1B all that well. So that's why he was only a 4 WAR player. His bat should have no problem getting to 3 WAR even at DH.

Last year he split time between C and 1B, and and didn't play 1B all that well. So that's why he was only a 4 WAR player. His bat should have no problem getting to 3 WAR even at DH.

Eh, 110 games at C (906 innings) and 14 games at 1B (106 innings) isn't really splitting time. But you are probably right, Guerrero had numbers very similar to Martinez and he was a 2.6 WAR player his year...so I would assume VMart would be around that area.

Ortiz on the other hand, had much better numbers offensively than VMart and had a 3.3 WAR, Dunn has very similar numbers to Ortiz.

So I would expect VMart would be somewhere between 2.5-3, and Dunn/Ortiz to be around 3-3.5. Which is kind of interesting considering Dunn/Ortiz's numbers are significantly better than VMart/Guerrero's.

Eh, 110 games at C (906 innings) and 14 games at 1B (106 innings) isn't really splitting time. But you are probably right, Guerrero had numbers very similar to Martinez and he was a 2.6 WAR player his year...so I would assume VMart would be around that area.

Ortiz on the other hand, had much better numbers offensively than VMart and had a 3.3 WAR, Dunn has very similar numbers to Ortiz.

So I would expect VMart would be somewhere between 2.5-3, and Dunn/Ortiz to be around 3-3.5. Which is kind of interesting considering Dunn/Ortiz's numbers are significantly better than VMart/Guerrero's.

I thought we were talking about 2009, when he played about 70 games at first. 2010 of course wasn't a full season for VMart due to injuries.

But yeah, Dunn and Ortiz typically have about .050 higher OPS. They're better hitters. I'd be happy with Dunn or Martinez or Werth.

yeah, well you're pretty much a terrible poster, so I'm not worrying about it to much. :wink:

Shin-Soo Choo was literally a better player than Miguel Cabrera last season

or if I unlock the even worse Fangraphs WAR

Miguel Cabrera was the 12th best position player in MLB last season, just beating out Andres Torres and Kelly Johnson. Also, Brett Gardner is better than Joe Mauer.