Dunkin Darvin

Off-season moves starting to take shape

Given that Cleveland probably doesn't expect to compete in the next two years, and Choo could very well be gone in 2 years, makes me think teams aren't going to pony up big prospects for 2 years of Choo.

:chinese: Ching chong choo

It would be worth a shot to take a look at Choo. If anything I would be glad he is not swinging the bat against us anymore.

I just wish you would continue your speculation and say some guys you're interested in.

1. Prince Fielder

2. Nick Markakis

3. Matt Kemp

4. Justin Upton

5. Ryan Zimmerman

There are five, pending on who sign in free agency.

1. Prince Fielder he hates detroit... He LOATHS his dad ( look up why if you must ) and doesnt want to be compared to him, he couldnt avoid that happening in detroit, Cecils too big here.

2. Nick Markakis not happening, they are looking for FAs to build around him

3. Matt Kemp I can see him getting traded

4. Justin Upton He definately wont be gone

5. Ryan Zimmerman Hes from D.C>, not happening.

There are five, pending on who sign in free agency.

my oppinions

I agree with almost everything you said.

The part that really bothers me (as a Dunn fan), which I agree with you on, is whether or not Dunn will come here. On one hand, if we pay MORE money, I think we'll land him. On the other, we've got a harsh strike against us if someone else is willing to give him the reins to 1B.

then there is what I might call the Nightmare Scenario:

Dunn says all the right things, undertakes extended negotiations with the Tigs -- with the sole true objective of using a Tiger offer as leverage to go somewhere else while we get left holding the bad at the end of the signing season. Hell of a job being a major league GM!

then there is what I might call the Nightmare Scenario:

Dunn says all the right things, undertakes extended negotiations with the Tigs -- with the sole true objective of using a Tiger offer as leverage to go somewhere else while we get left holding the bad at the end of the signing season. Hell of a job being a major league GM!

Yeah, that is a nightmare. Honestly, I don't see Dunn coming here, I could be wrong though.

my oppinions

1. everyone knows about Cecil and Prince, and Cecil isn't Barry Sanders here in Detroit, sorry.

2. don't believe this, and will believe it when I see it in Baltimore

3. whatever

4. it wouldn't shock me, it's Arizona!

5. he'll be traded eventually, why not this winter?

I hate to name names, as I am sure there are more than what we know .. going on behind the scenes.

I believe the first 4 on that list would be available for a reasonable (yet high) price. Zimmerman would be pretty much untouchable I think, except at a ridiculous price.

I'd look at teams who may be dealing. Chicago Cubs, New York Mets, maybe Los Angeles Dodgers, Tampa and Arizona, and the usual suspects Florida, Cleveland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Oakland

I think Justin Upton is one of the top 5 untouchable players in the game.

Now his brother, there's an idea.

I know, I wanted to add a name that was truly unthinkable .. to sort of make a point;)

That's a nice idea, I totally agree!

1. everyone knows about Cecil and Prince, and Cecil isn't Barry Sanders here in Detroit, sorry. He isnt aubry huff either 2. don't believe this, and will believe it when I see it in Baltimore They arnt tradeing him, hes signed for 5 years cheap...

3. whatever YouTube - Adolf Hitler VS Britney Spears "Gimme More"

4. it wouldn't shock me, it's Arizona! Hes young and their best player, under team controll for a while more.

5. he'll be traded eventually, why not this winter? 3 years left on his contract, and with strasburg injured hes their only attraction

I hate to name names, as I am sure there are more than what we know .. going on behind the scenes.

Another guy flying under the radar who maybe an option at DH is Lance Berkman. Had a down year but he's been a pretty steady hitter. Walks almost 100 times a year, hits 25-30 HR, and is a career 296/409/545/954. Wouldn't cost as much as Dunn in terms of dollars and years.

Same here.

If the Tigers do end up signing Maggs, I would hope it was as a last resort. Signing him early even for cheap is going to send a message that they not spending big this year and next season is going to be about the same as this yr was just at a cheaper price.

Another guy flying under the radar who maybe an option at DH is Lance Berkman. Had a down year but he's been a pretty steady hitter. Walks almost 100 times a year, hits 25-30 HR, and is a career 296/409/545/954. Wouldn't cost as much as Dunn in terms of dollars and years.

Hes like 35, no thanks

Cecil Fielder isn't anything in Detroit, there .. I said it.

We have a better chance of getting Prince Fielder, or Nick Markakis .. than we do HANRAM!

You say things about guys I named, like many people have said to you about Hanley, right?

I think Justin Upton is one of the top 5 untouchable players in the game.

Now his brother, there's an idea.

bj upton would look fantastic in RF. could teach jackson to steal a base or two as well (42, 42, 44) last three years. still extremely young. could be had for a reasonable price, too.

Hes like 35, no thanks

and Magglio's 37 so what's your point? You sign him for 2-3 years. In 2009 he hit 274/399/509/907 with 25 HR and 97 BB. I'll gladly take that in my lineup regardless of age.

If the Tigers do end up signing Maggs, I would hope it was as a last resort. Signing him early even for cheap is going to send a message that they not spending big this year and next season is going to be about the same as this yr was just at a cheaper price.

My thoughts exactly.

I like the option brought up about BJ Upton. I would like to see him in a tigers uniform.

I don't see where people are seeing this as a white flag by signing Magglio. They were in first place with a healthy Magglio.

I don't see where people are seeing this as a white flag by signing Magglio. They were in first place with a healthy Magglio.
There are to many better options(most likely more expensive) out there to make him an early choice no matter how cheap.

I would rather see a Magglio, Berkman or Thome brought in as DH for 1-2 years than Dunn for 5 years at huge money. I'm just not a fan of tying up big dollars and lots of years on a DH. I know it's one of the nine starting spots in the batting order, so it's important, and Dunn's a super consistent power guy, but give me serviceable, short term players at DH and I'll spend big on true position players and starting pitchers instead.

I also like the idea of B.J. Upton very much. Maybe see what it would take for a Bartlett/Upton combo. I just don't know what we have that could realistically and equitably interest TB.

Cecil Fielder isn't anything in Detroit, there .. I said it.

We have a better chance of getting Prince Fielder, or Nick Markakis .. than we do HANRAM!

You say things about guys I named, like many people have said to you about Hanley, right?

True, but we have a better chance of getting Hanley than cliff lee (; Hanley wants to leave flroida and DD would love to have him, plus we need a SS. He's a better fit than anyone else you listed.

I would rather see a Magglio, Berkman or Thome brought in as DH for 1-2 years than Dunn for 5 years at huge money. I'm just not a fan of tying up big dollars and lots of years on a DH. I know it's one of the nine starting spots in the batting order, so it's important, and Dunn's a super consistent power guy, but give me serviceable, short term players at DH and I'll spend big on true position players and starting pitchers instead.

I also like the idea of B.J. Upton very much. Maybe see what it would take for a Bartlett/Upton combo. I just don't know what we have that could realistically and equitably interest TB.

As long as Dunn wants to play 1B or OF full or part time, I don't want him here. Putting that ahead of winning is not the type of player this team needs. They already have that with Guillen.