Dunkin Darvin

Off-season moves starting to take shape

Matt Kemp would be a great addition to the team. He might be available given his circumstances this season and the way that the Dodgers seemingly got fed up with him.

Turner,Wells, and Nunez for Kemp ?

Eric - I'm not trying to be your villain here, just stating on what I think will happen.

I think we'll add two new bats, re-sign Maggs .. which will give us a nice 1-5, heart of the lineup.

The bottom four would then be - Peralta, Inge, Avila, Sizemore/Rhymes. That's a pretty good offense.

I agree

I think we'll add two new bats, re-sign Maggs .. which will give us a nice 1-5, heart of the lineup.

This is an opinion of yours I had not heard before. I had no idea that you wanted two bats.

It's like I'm asking you to describe a movie and you keep describing the opening scene again and again.

This is an opinion of yours I had not heard before. I had no idea that you wanted two bats.

It's like I'm asking you to describe a movie and you keep describing the opening scene again and again.

Not only that. I don't think Maggs is going to sign with us again.

Okay, then you disagree with me... I'm not sure what the real problem here is though.

Kemp is coming off a down year and is another righty who might not hit .250. He is still young and could really become a dominant player, but I am not sold on him.

And Im with Benke, all indications suggest the tigers are going two add to big bats to the lineup. By indications I mean everytime a microphone is in front of DD all he can talk about is getting another bat to help protect Cabby.

I would call cleveland and see if there was anyway we could pry Choo away, he is a damn good player. If he doesnt do the military thing does that mean if he returns to South Korea they will throw him in the clinker?

Not only that. I don't think Maggs is going to sign with us again.

Because he wants to go elsewhere or someone else offers more $$? A report from Venezuela was picked up yesterday that we would be happy to come back to Detroit.

I think they'll add Ordonez plus one other big bat. They also have pitching upgrades to make , especially in the bullpen.

Okay, then you disagree with me... I'm not sure what the real problem here is though.

Benke, listen carefully.

You say you think the Tigers will pick up two big, middle of the order type bats.

I say they're likely to get one of Dunn, Werth, or Crawford, but not two of them.

You say there is also the trade market.

I ask which players do you think Dombrowski is targeting who would hit third or fifth.

You say you think they'll get two bats.

It's not that I disagree with you. You haven't said anything substantial enough for me to disagree with.

I think they'll add Ordonez plus one other big bat.

This is what I think they'll do. I think the other big bat will be Dunn or Werth.

So I'm wrong because I can't name any names .. as of today? Okay.

We'll see what happens... Of the Dunn, Crawford, Werth trio - which do you want, and in what order?

We'll see what happens... Of the Dunn, Crawford, Werth trio - which do you want, and in what order?

1. Werth

2. Dunn

3. Crawford

But it's based on stuff like: position, length of contract, how recently he was signed to a contract, etc. It's speculative, like I said, but it's at least provided some names to talk about rather than the nothing that some here want to discuss.

Fair enough, point well-taken, sound and cogent.:classic:

I've never said that. I've said that you're repetitive. I just wish you would continue your speculation and say some guys you're interested in.

Of the Dunn, Crawford, Werth trio - which do you want, and in what order?

Werth, Crawford, Dunn. Two way players are better than one way.

I believe Choo doesn't have to do his military assignment in 2 years I believe. I'd be willing to trade for 2 years of Choo. The asking price should be low.

Because he wants to go elsewhere or someone else offers more $$? A report from Venezuela was picked up yesterday that we would be happy to come back to Detroit.

My thinking is they will look to see what they can pick up elsewhere before trying to get Maggs back in the fold. That is just me though. I know Maggs said he wouldn't mind coming back to Detroit but I am not sold that the feeling is completely mutual for DD.

I would think that given his arbitration situation, his asking price would be pretty steep. He's worth a call, though.

My thinking is they will look to see what they can pick up elsewhere before trying to get Maggs back in the fold. That is just me though. I know Maggs said he wouldn't mind coming back to Detroit but I am not sold that the feeling is completely mutual for DD.

Well I would agree that at minimum, Maggs is not the first decision DD wants to make. Its seems inconceivable to me that either Maggs, nor any sane GM, would be anticipating him playing more than 1/2 time in the OF at this point, so if DD is really going to pursue Dunn/Werth, he surely want to know which he has (if any) before talking to Maggs. If Dunn comes here, Maggs just creates more log jam at DH, esp if Guillen plays any innings this yr. A mess like that at DH would be a horrible outcome.

But really, truly, honestly, not speaking just as Devil's advocate - I don't think Dunn will be willing to come here. We have two strikes against us - Cabby like a rock at first, and that huge OF facing a spray HR hitter. He'd have to be a fool not to be able to find himself a more promising gig.

EDIT: Exactly because of all this, Maggs agent could see his best strategy is to push for a quick signing and may well force DD to cut bait.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Well I would agree that at minimum, Maggs is not the first decision DD wants to make. Its seems inconceivable to me that either Maggs, nor any sane GM, would be anticipating him playing more than 1/2 time in the OF at this point, so if DD is really going to pursue Dunn/Werth, he surely want to know which he has (if any) before talking to Maggs. If Dunn comes here, Maggs just creates more log jam at DH, esp if Guillen plays any innings this yr. A mess like that at DH would be a horrible outcome.

But really, truly, honestly, not speaking just as Devil's advocate - I don't think Dunn will be willing to come here. We have two strikes against us - Cabby like a rock at first, and that huge OF facing a spray HR hitter. He'd have to be a fool not be able to find himself a more promising gig.

I agree on all points. I might be a little biased to because I am pretty sick of watching Maggs. However I think DD will, and would be crazy not to explore other options first. For exactly the reasons you stated.

But really, truly, honestly, not speaking just as Devil's advocate - I don't think Dunn will be willing to come here. We have two strikes against us - Cabby like a rock at first, and that huge OF facing a spray HR hitter. He'd have to be a fool not be able to find himself a more promising gig.

EDIT: Exactly because of all this, Maggs agent could see his best strategy is to push for a quick signing and may well force DD to cut bait.

I agree with almost everything you said.

The part that really bothers me (as a Dunn fan), which I agree with you on, is whether or not Dunn will come here. On one hand, if we pay MORE money, I think we'll land him. On the other, we've got a harsh strike against us if someone else is willing to give him the reins to 1B.

I would think that given his arbitration situation, his asking price would be pretty steep. He's worth a call, though.

Given that Cleveland probably doesn't expect to compete in the next two years, and Choo could very well be gone in 2 years, makes me think teams aren't going to pony up big prospects for 2 years of Choo.

But really, truly, honestly, not speaking just as Devil's advocate - I don't think Dunn will be willing to come here. We have two strikes against us - Cabby like a rock at first, and that huge OF facing a spray HR hitter. He'd have to be a fool not to be able to find himself a more promising gig.

I don't think Boras has ever pushed for a quick signing. I see the same thing playing out for Magglio as what happened with Damon last year. I wouldn't expect to see anyone sign Magglio until January.