Dunkin Darvin

Off-season moves starting to take shape

More from Beck

Tigers will not go after Cliff Lee, or a top-tier FA pitcher of that ilk. That doesn't mean they'll only pursue 5th starters, though.

Summarizing all the tweets:

Damon, Laird, probably Bonderman gone. Inge, Peralta probably back. Coke to rotation. Guillen without a position.

Guillen needs to be left without a team by December. The Tigers can't possibly depend on him for another season...

I bet if we can really go out and get Beltre or Hanley this offseason, Inge will be a team player and move to LF (remember, he has played there before).

Also, Coke told me when somebody I was with asked if he would like to start, he said...

"I'll tell you what I've told everybody else who has asked me that: I will do whatever they want me to do. If I'm in the bullpen that's fine, if I start, that's fine too."

I got no problem with Coke as a starter, but I think we do have better options at this very second.

Congratulations to the 2011 Twins on their 7th AL Central division title in 11 seasons.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Never could figure where this definition came from.

World English Dictionary

insanity (?n?sæn?t?)

? n , pl -ties

1. relatively permanent disorder of the mind; state or condition of being insane

2. law a defect of reason as a result of mental illness, such that a defendant does not know what he or she is doing or that it is wrong

3. utter folly; stupidity

Starting pitchers are more valuable and harder to find.

If Coke can be a good starter, moving him to the rotation is clearly a good move. Regardless of the hole it creates in the bullpen.

QFT. Even if Coke can be a league average 4 or 5 starter next year, that's way more valuable than any relief pitcher. And there are lots of good bullpen arms available on the FA market this year.

Congratulations to the 2011 Twins on their 7th AL Central division title in 11 seasons.

I don't understand.....every single one of these moves were expected. The Coke one the biggest surprise, but having him as your fifth I'm betting will play out a hell of a lot better than who we've had as our fifth starter since 06.

I bet we go after a Webb type situation or De la Rosa, or trade for a Nolasco type. Makes more sense to me than trying to sign a Cliff lee type guy.

We needed to add a bp arm guy anyway, now it's going to be 2, maybe 3. I just want Armando off the team.....unless he's the very last guy in the bullpen. Thornton/Downs type and another guy close to that ilk would be excellent.

Only way I bring back Maggs is if we get one big time bat at OF and another above average one in the infield. If that were the case I'd try to sign him as a cheaply as possible to be our DH.

Can live with Inge if the deal is right. F no to Gullien. Only bring back Bonderman like DD says. Still sort of curious too see what one more year removed from surgery looks like.

We still need a Buck type to supplement Avila.

I'm guessing we get one of of Dunn/Werth, perhaps even both. I feel as if we add a above average regular via trade possibly as well, especially if we only get one of those two.

Jackson

Sizemore

Werth/trade? other FA

Miggy

Dunn

Raburn

Inge/trade?

Perelta/trade?

Avila

Verlander

Scherzer

Porcello

Webb/De La Rosa/Trade?/other FA

Coke/Oliver

Valverde

Downs/thornton/other FA/Trade

Perry

Zumaya(wildcard)

other FA/Trade/

Weinhardt

Schlereth

Thomas/Armando/Bondo/who the f knows...hopefully Ruffin at some point

Would be much improved from this year.

Never could figure where this definition came from.

World English Dictionary

insanity (?n?sæn?t?)

? n , pl -ties

1. relatively permanent disorder of the mind; state or condition of being insane

2. law a defect of reason as a result of mental illness, such that a defendant does not know what he or she is doing or that it is wrong

3. utter folly; stupidity

Einstein..

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Quote Details: Albert Einstein: Insanity: doing the same... - The Quotations Page

I don't understand.....every single one of these moves were expected. The Coke one the biggest surprise, but having him as your fifth I'm betting will play out a hell of a lot better than who we've had as our fifth starter since 06.

I bet we go after a Webb type situation or De la Rosa, or trade for a Nolasco type. Makes more sense to me than trying to sign a Cliff lee type guy.

We needed to add a bp arm guy anyway, now it's going to be 2, maybe 3. I just want Armando off the team.....unless he's the very last guy in the bullpen. Thornton/Downs type and another guy close to that ilk would be excellent.

Only way I bring back Maggs is if we get one big time bat at OF and another above average one in the infield. If that were the case I'd try to sign him as a cheaply as possible to be our DH.

Can live with Inge if the deal is right. F no to Gullien. Only bring back Bonderman like DD says. Still sort of curious too see what one more year removed from surgery looks like.

We still need a Buck type to supplement Avila.

I'm guessing we get one of of Dunn/Werth, perhaps even both. I feel as if we add a above average regular via trade possibly as well, especially if we only get one of those two.

Jackson

Sizemore

Werth/trade? other FA

Miggy

Dunn

Raburn

Inge/trade?

Perelta/trade?

Avila

Verlander

Scherzer

Porcello

Webb/De La Rosa/Trade?/other FA

Coke/Oliver

Valverde

Downs/thornton/other FA/Trade

Perry

Zumaya(wildcard)

other FA/Trade/

Weinhardt

Schlereth

Thomas/Armando/Bondo/who the f knows...hopefully Ruffin at some point

Would be much improved from this year.

Webb was throwing low to mid 80s...

Webb was throwing low to mid 80s...

Really? Fudge. That sucks. Didn't hear that.

Looks like Ilitch is still over-ruling his GM, as he did on Polanco last season:

"Though, Dombrowski allowed that he has spoken more with Tigers owner Mike Ilitch than he typically has heading into the off-season.:

“He still has to make those kinds of decisions,” Dombrowski said of Ilitch’s input on major payroll considerations and parameters."

I'm worried that with all the promotion within the organization or resigning that maybe Illitch is planning on cutting payroll?

It looks like the only positions we will need to fill via FA or trade is...

LF, RF, DH and I am assuming one of those is going to be giving to Raburn.

If we can get Werth + Dunn than I guess it wouldn't be too bad of an offseason. Then we would just need to pick up a cheap #5 and 2 or 3 bullpen arms.

Why bother signing any big dollar free agents at this point? It'd be a waste of money. Tigers are going to have 4 approx .700 OPS hitters in the lineup (C, 3B, SS, 2B).

Teams will just pitch around Cabrera and Dunn to get to the bottom 4 of the order they way they started pitching around Cabrera and Boesch, back when Boesch was still hitting.

I'm worried that with all the promotion within the organization or resigning that maybe Illitch is planning on cutting payroll?

It looks like the only positions we will need to fill via FA or trade is...

LF, RF, DH and I am assuming one of those is going to be giving to Raburn.

If we can get Werth + Dunn than I guess it wouldn't be too bad of an offseason. Then we would just need to pick up a cheap #5 and 2 or 3 bullpen arms.

Dunn is a MUST, at DH he could be the guy that Cabrera always needed to protect him. I really want Nick Markakis... Left handed outfielder who swings a hell of a stick... Sign DeLaRosa and a bullpen arm and you have a great team with Markakis and Dunn aded to the lineup.

Dunn is a MUST, at DH he could be the guy that Cabrera always needed to protect him. I really want Nick Markakis... Left handed outfielder who swings a hell of a stick... Sign DeLaRosa and a bullpen arm and you have a great team with Markakis and Dunn aded to the lineup.

Baltimore will not be trading their best player this off season. Buck Showalter has given them hope...:grin:

Why bother signing any big dollar free agents at this point? It'd be a waste of money. Tigers are going to have 4 approx .700 OPS hitters in the lineup (C, 3B, SS, 2B).

Teams will just pitch around Cabrera and Dunn to get to the bottom 4 of the order they way they started pitching around Cabrera and Boesch, back when Boesch was still hitting.

While Boesch was still hitting we were 11 games over .500...

Baltimore will not be trading their best player this off season. Buck Showalter has given them hope...:grin:

Ha. If they can put the puzzle pieces together, honestly, I think they have a legit shot at 4th place.

Maybe the Tigers can petition major league baseball to have the regular season end at the All Star break. How many division titles would the Tigers have won over the last 5 years if that had been the rule.

Maybe the Tigers can petition major league baseball to have the regular season end at the All Star break. How many division titles would the Tigers have won over the last 5 years if that had been the rule.

Every except 08